Credit card question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card question

I’m about to sign up for my first credit card, and I don’t know which one to get. I want to be able to earn miles with my purchases but that’s about all I know that I want. What are some other things to look for or think about when choosing a credit card. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

If i could go back, i would have never got one period. I will say that Citibank has a lot of different options though if you are dead set on getting one.

Comment

I have a Bank of America rewards card. 1.5 cash back and can either be claimed for cash or miles. I got it for miles for my Africa trip. Pay everything you can on it and just pay it off at the end of the month, even have my phone bill on it

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
        I’m about to sign up for my first credit card, and I don’t know which one to get. I want to be able to earn miles with my purchases but that’s about all I know that I want. What are some other things to look for or think about when choosing a credit card. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.
        Good question. Most people go with the airline they are closest to or prefer... since you're in San Antonio (and I'm not that familiar...) but I think you'd be connecting most of the places you go anyway, so just whichever airline is your preference.

But word to the wise...Only do it if you're paying off your credit card at the end of the month in full. No point in doing the switch if you end up owing money at the end of it.

Edit...I have AAdvantage Platinum Select card that got me 50,000 points after spending $3,000 in 3 months. Jokes on them because I had my wisdom teeth removed, MRI, and a few other medical expenses. I spent 3k in like 3 weeks and used my HSA funds to cover it.

Comment

I didn't care about miles, however you might check. I got a Discover card that paid cash back 3-5% and zero interest for 12 months. At the end of my 12 months they matched the cash back amount. In my case that was around 400.00 extra. You can google the best CC to get. I think Discover was one.

Comment

In my experience, miles is all sorts of screwed up with some of the major ones. I've found it easier to do cash back bonuses and then just use it for airfare... I think there are some better cards for miles if you actually travel quite a bit... Either way, i've been with discover for over 10 years now... I use the cards for everything and pay them off every month.. makes me 1-2k a year....They do have a cash back match the first year going on currently... so that's nice.

Comment

Amazon card, 3% back with amazon, 2% on gas and dining i believe, and 1% on everything off. Keep your limit low (or control yourself), pay off every month.

Keep it OPEN FOREVER! The longer you have it open the better your credit. One would be crazy to not establish credit via credit card. Just keep yourself in check.

I use the points at teh end of the year for Christmas presents. Christmas is very nice for us.

Comment

This is a good place to start.

nerdwallet.com

Comment

Lots of info/perks. Find which is most important to you and decide based on that using the site below. Low int, no annual fee, cash back, etc...

Browse best-in-class credit cards for cash back, points and miles, 0% APR, credit building and more. Find the right fit for your needs and apply in seconds.

Comment

If you are not going to sign up and get a bunch just get the 2% cash back card from RBFCU credit union here in San Antonio. No foreign transaction fee and no annual fee. It seems you travel a lot to destinations. If you fly the AMEX Platinum is a great card with all the Centurion lounge access in IAH and DFW. Free top shelf whiskey is hard to beat. It really depends on what your goals are. Cash back can be used for any flight on any airline. Most airline miles are not worth more than 1.5 cents each so 2 cents per dollar spent with added flexibility is always a better deal in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Amazon card, 3% back with amazon, 2% on gas and dining i believe, and 1% on everything off. Keep your limit low (or control yourself), pay off every month.

Keep it OPEN FOREVER! The longer you have it open the better your credit. One would be crazy to not establish credit via credit card. Just keep yourself in check.

I use the points at teh end of the year for Christmas presents. Christmas is very nice for us.
                      I'm looking at ditching my Cabelas card for this one! Only kicker is my wife orders tons of stuff on Amazon and we would need to use my card for all of our purchases there to make it make sense! I don't know if I wanna cover her Amazon bill! It would be payback for buying beer on her Sams card!!!

Comment

My wife and I play the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards game. Have two of the Chase Rapid Rewards cards. Put every single purchase we have to make during the course of a month on those cards. Pay them off to $0.00 on the last day of every month - have not paid for airfare in almost 10 years and have gone to some amazing places. Usually go on one to two trips per year and use the rewards for airfare, hotels and rental cars. This is the best bang for our buck because we like to travel and would not really get to otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown County Man View Post
                          If i could go back, i would have never got one period. I will say that Citibank has a lot of different options though if you are dead set on getting one.
                          If you're going to swipe a debit card you might as well swipe a credit card and have the added protection + rewards.

Comment

We use Capital One for personal and business

Comment

Originally posted by Twipper333 View Post
                              My wife and I play the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards game. Have two of the Chase Rapid Rewards cards. Put every single purchase we have to make during the course of a month on those cards. Pay them off to $0.00 on the last day of every month - have not paid for airfare in almost 10 years and have gone to some amazing places. Usually go on one to two trips per year and use the rewards for airfare, hotels and rental cars. This is the best bang for our buck because we like to travel and would not really get to otherwise.
                              A Southwest airline mile is worth 1.6 cents. Each dollar you spend gives you one SW Airline mile worth 1.6 cents. If you have a 2% cash back card you would get 2 cents back for every dollar spent. The only bonus category for that SW card is a Southwest airline purchase. You could have cash in the bank to pay for the flight on Southwest or any other airline you preferred. I had a companion pass on Southwest a few years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X