No announcement yet.

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure he's referring to a traditional bow. Many places used this as a standard a few decades ago. You could keep four out of five arrows on it they allowed you to hunt.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

On your 20 shot test - my first thought was "I could do that, you only have to average 3 points per arrow". But the more I think about it realistically, I don't think I would pass. Out of 20 shots I would have too many misses and those negative numbers add up quickly. I need to practice more from 20+ yards

Comment

Okay, I just went out and shot 20 arrows from 20yds at a 9” paper plate. I used all the plate, but did not have any misses. Score was 78, so I guess I could pass.

And, as bad as I’m shooting, I would never attempt a shot on a live deer at that distance right now!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          Okay, I just went out and shot 20 arrows from 20yds at a 9” pie plate. I used all the plate, but did not have any misses. Score was 78, so I guess I could pass.

And, as bad as I’m shooting, I would never attempt a shot on a live deer at that distance right now!!!!

Bisch

Same here.
          Just came in from doing it.
          Scored an 89, and I try to limit myself to shots of 15 yards & under when hunting.

Rick

Comment

If I was shooting well, I would expect somewhere in the 85-95 range. 89 is a very respectable score.

Bisch

Comment

This question has adapted way too much in a couple of hours.

1) hitting a paper plate means jack **** when it comes to hunting proficiency.
              2) hitting a paper plate does mean quite a bit when it comes to being able to shoot your bow proficiently
              3) hitting a paper plate in a pass/fail environment means a little bit more about your ability to manage stress.
              4) I believe I could pass your prescribed test at 20 yards. But your test, again, means little to me because it is each shot that has to count... including the first one. If anything, it would likely remind me why I don't hunt past 15 yards.

and finally...

5) I believe there is a place for an accuracy test when it comes to qualifying to hunt somewhere. It might not tell you everything you need to know about a hunter, but it will sure as heck let you know if they are talking up a big game or not... or weed out those who really haven't taken the time and effort to practice.

I say this coming from a point right now where I could pass that test, but still had a hell of a time making it work this past season.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                So, if a 9" paper plate is to big - how many can keep all their arrow on one from 20 yards, or to make it even simpler, how many can do it from your preferred hunting distance?

To make sure you understand - I don't care, and I'm not in favor of proficiency tests of any kind. I'm in favor of common sense, where a hunter limits hinself to a shot distance he knows he can make with confidence.

This question was just posted out of curiosity is all.

Rick
                I practice at 50yd, 40yd, 30yd and occasionally shoot at 20 to make sure the pin is good. At 20yds you need to be able to hit a tennis ball, repeatedly. I never shoot past 30yds at white tail

Comment

Originally posted by the marshall View Post
                  I practice at 50yd, 40yd, 30yd and occasionally shoot at 20 to make sure the pin is good. At 20yds you need to be able to hit a tennis ball, repeatedly. I never shoot past 30yds at white tail
                  Um, compound much?

We're talking stickbows here, but tennis ball accuracy at 20 & beyond is quite good for anyone.

Rick

Comment

Yeah I think some guys are posting out of the general feed on the main page not realizing they are in the trad section .

As to the question if I could put 20 at 20 into the plate, right now I know I could not do it. After my second back surgery in 2007 I gave trad up. I kept all my bows and once a year or so I would shoot a couple arrows but not enough to keep the level of accuracy up I used to have. I decided this year I missed it too much and bought that TradTech. By the end of April I expect to have that accuracy back (yes I am confident I can).

Comment

Ok, just went out and shot it again, and again after that! The first round I flubbed 2 misses in there, but still ended up with a 76. The next round was a no miss 84.

And I still don’t feel confident enough to shoot at any live critter smaller than an elk at 20yds!

Bisch

Comment

I think a proficiency test at 20yds is too far for trad hunting. That is my own personal opinion! I say this because most folks won’t shoot at critters 20 and beyond. And you can’t keep the idiot from being himself! The guy who will take stupid shots will do so, even if he passes the test at 20!

Idk what the solution to proving proficiency is???? It seems most of the times that this is needed, it is to satisfy someone other than those hunting, or those overseeing the hunting opportunities. I see guys every year taking to the woods who I feel are not near good enough. But if y’all knew what I went thru this past deer season, you would probably say I was not good enough, and I got 5 deer with my longbow!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 02-14-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Also would prefer to keep hunting shots under 15 yards, but did pass the test, with a 73. Challenge seems legit as a self-check , and it also can be a little diagnostic for ways to improve.

Noted that of 20 shots, had two misses (within an inch of plate), while 15 shots were actually within the 6-1/4" circle and over half (8) of those in the 3-1/4" circle. Need to shoot more, period, as my last group showed some form defects from fatigue pulling the heavy bow (dropping bow arm); plus, need to practice more from longer distance to enhance form for shorter ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            I think a proficiency test at 20yds is too far for trad hunting.
                            Definitely agree. I had to qualify with a compound bow for a place back in the day that stated 25 yards 9". I would much prefer tell them I won't take a shot past 15, etc.

It seems most of the times that this is needed, it is to satisfy someone other than those hunting, or those overseeing the hunting opportunities.
                            I've seen it for that and I have seen it where somebody who does hunt doesn't want to see injured animals running around their place. I think it makes sense, but at the same time, some of the standards are pretty silly too.

Comment

the problem with 20 shots... is gonna be mental/physical fatigue. And if you miss the first 1 or 2 to let you brain adjust, you are just trying to play catch up from there.

again, not a real good test of hunting proficiency.

for reference the one test I had to take was 3 out of 5 arrows in a 9" circle at 25 yards. Took me 3, but the first one darn nearly made it seem like I might have to use 4.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                                I know of at least one guy who can pass it.
                                He just recently did, and and he ain't me.

Rick
                                I'm pretty sure you could get close to a perfect score Rick.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X