Arrow question for a long bow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow question for a long bow??

I have a 58" AMO longbow that is 53# @ 28" draw, I shoot three fingers under with a tab. The arrows I have are 400 spine 31" carbons with three 5" feathers that are helical fletched.

What weigh broad head do you guys recommend for the best flight possible, I do know I will need to shoot it to see but I am looking for the best place to start.

Thanks

Tracy

There is not enough info to give you a good answer, and no one can give you an exact answer over the internet. What is your draw weight at your draw length?

Just guessing, I would say to try 150-200gr up front. That can be all point/broadhead, or combination point/broadhead and heavy insert.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tracy you have a draw a tad longer than 28 correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Get some test field points and see how the arrows fly. My guess is that you are maybe pulling 54-55 pounds and it won't take much weight up front to get the 400s to fly good. That sort of depends on the shelf cut on the bow. Do you know where it is cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          There is not enough info to give you a good answer, and no one can give you an exact answer over the internet. What is your draw weight at your draw length?

Just guessing, I would say to try 150-200gr up front. That can be all point/broadhead, or combination point/broadhead and heavy insert.

Bisch

This is on my original post:

(I have a 58" AMO longbow that is 53# @ 28" draw, I shoot three fingers under with a tab. The arrows I have are 400 spine 31" carbons with three 5" feathers that are helical fletched. )

I guess all of my post may not show on your iPhone?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Tracy you have a draw a tad longer than 28 correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
            Hey brother No my traditional draw has always been 28", with a compound it is 30".

Also my Omega Imperial Longbow has a center cut riser.

Comment

I shoot the same set up at my draw. If longbow isn’t cut to center at least you will need minimum of 200 grain on front to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                I shoot the same set up at my draw. If longbow isn’t cut to center at least you will need minimum of 200 grain on front to start with.

This longbow is cut to center, so I should start with less than 200 grain up front?

Comment

Get a couple of these:

And then find out for yourself thru personal tuning what you need for front end weight.

Bisch

Comment

If you want to get to 10 grains per pound (530 grains) to match arrow overall weight to bow weight (53#), and if your arrow shafts are 8.2 grains per inch (254 grains), then you could put 275 grains on the front of that 31-inch arrow and be close. If you can't find that exact weight broadhead/insert combo, there are plenty of ways to get to 300 grains up front, and the 25 grains extra should work fine. To tune, cut 1//8" at a time from shaft until they fly like darts.

(Note: I can use 680-grain arrows in my 55# recurve. They work fine, but are slow. Same arrows are quicker from my 70#-er, which probably is more like 65# at my draw length.)

Comment

I would say start with 200. If you were a bit week, you have room to cut the arrows with your 28” dl.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodtracy View Post
                        This is on my original post:

(I have a 58" AMO longbow that is 53# @ 28" draw, I shoot three fingers under with a tab. The arrows I have are 400 spine 31" carbons with three 5" feathers that are helical fletched. )

I guess all of my post may not show on your iPhone?
                        To add clarity, although you posted the specs of the bow... we often see folks post the numbers they see on the bow; which in the vast majority of the time, is some DW at 28". Most folks will then say what they draw too, etc. I was going to ask the exact same question, but Bisch beat me to it.

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Get a couple of these:

And then find out for yourself thru personal tuning what you need for front end weight.

Bisch

Best investment I ever made was ordering a couple sets of these. Arrows are expensive and if you start cutting them down based soley on some calculations, it can lead to frustration. Before I cut down a shaft, I will try with less head weight to make sure that the arrow reacts how I expect it should, etc.

Some of the other things we don't know about your bow are how cut to center it is, what string material/strands, desired brace height, etc...

Comment

I agree about the Screw-In Field Point Test Kit, I just need field points above 150 grains because I have the lower weights. We did this years ago when I used to shoot with aluminum arrows

I am not sure of the strands but the strings are endless loop fast flight or another type of minimal stretch material. Brace height I have been keeping it at 6.75" and without measuring it looks to be not quite a center cut riser.

Looks like most things are still the same except for carbon arrows unless I am missing something

Thanks for the reply's

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                            I would say start with 200. If you were a bit week, you have room to cut the arrows with your 28” dl.
                            I understand 200 grain or there about does tend shoot very nice.

Comment

I would think anything over 200 would make your shaft a bit weak.
                              Try putting your info into the spine calculator at 3 rivers. Seems to come out pretty close. Just keep changing the point weight till shaft and bow are within 2#.

Comment

Working...
                              X