Box Blind for the Smoke Pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Blind for the Smoke Pole

It’s been 10 years since the last time I was on a deer lease, 7 years ago I bought 30 acres out in the country and have been hunting at home. This year a guy I go to church with had an opening on the lease he is on northwest of Ozona so I got on it. It’s about 6,000 acres total, two separate pastures about 3,000 acres each with 5 people on each pasture. Back in March during spring break my two youngest daughters and myself loaded up some horses and went out and did some scouting on horseback. I found an area I like and no one has hunted this area. I have always bow hunted and have never built a rifle blind. My daughters want to hunt and need to use a rifle, they aren’t ready to use a bow, the base of the blind is 4’x8’ so all 3 of us can sit in it side by side and have some room.
    My dad built a blind several years ago I liked, so I kind of used that design and modified it to my liking. The frame is all steel on a 10 foot tower, I designed the tower to be all bolt together for easy transport and with the braces it is rock solid. I built the frame and base of the stand first to get everything lined up and fitted before getting too far along with the stand. I built the stair case out of some red iron for a metal building. I still have to build some hand rails and fasten it to the stand.

One thing I liked about my dad’s stand was the mobility, he has a detachable axel and tongue that comes off the stand with 3 pins, so you can hook the stand up behind the 4-wheeler or UTV, haul it out to the setup, pull the pins and haul the tongue and axel back to camp, so I used that same idea on mine.

The next thing I did was build the top frame for the blind and then get it welded to the base, framed in the windows, and then started bracing and then framed in for the door, built the door and welded it on.

I still have to build a small porch that the stairs will attach to right before you walk in the door which I should finish before the weekend and hopefully I will start getting the interior and exterior on this weekend after getting some paint put on the steel so it will not rust.
    Attached Files

Nice work!

Comment

Coming along nicely!

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Looking like 1st class!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments, hopefully I will have more done by the end of the weekend and it will start looking like something more than a bunch of square tubing running in all directions, LOL

Comment

Those are looking great!

Comment

That looks good

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Lookin good

Comment

looking good.....when can I pick it up?

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
                        looking good.....when can I pick it up?
                        thanks...........Jokester huh?

Comment

What size angle did you use?

Comment

For the base and uprights on the tower I used 2" angle and for the cross braces I used
                            1 ½”. I've been out working on it for the last several hours, came in for a bite of lunch, hopefully by this evening it will look a whole lot different!

Comment

Looks nice

Comment

Working...
                              X