when do yall stop feeding protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when do yall stop feeding protein?

Just a basic question, were topping off again this weekend. When is it no longer needed

I would feed right up until season if I could. My belief is if you can afford it, a deer's health is year around not just during the antler growing season. I killed my trophy last year in late October and started lightly feeding in November. I didn't keep it full but would put a little in there each time I was at the lease. I've tried to keep if full since Jan 1st.

I keep my protein feeder on the wooded edge of a corn field so that I didn't have to build a pen. After the rancher picks his corn, he turns the cows out to the field which is late July to very early August. Feeding over for me at that time.

Comment

I agree with the post above ^^ I try to keep on feeding until oct.

Comment

We feed all year and I think it hurts our hunting tremendously. The deer remain nocturnal due to the all you can eat buffet 24/7. We are thinking about shutting the protein off right before season and see what happens.

Comment

I'd suggest putting a krivoman timer on it if you'd like to feed all year.

You could then cut back on the amound during season and put it out daytime only.

Comment

La. I stop early Sept. PLenty to eat here and with antler growth completed see no reason to continue. In the brush country have been feeding year round for 17 years. Do not see where it effects deer movement at all. Contrarily often see bucks taking a quick break during the rut to get an easy meal. Will see deer hanging around the feeder pens all season.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
              We feed all year and I think it hurts our hunting tremendously. The deer remain nocturnal due to the all you can eat buffet 24/7. We are thinking about shutting the protein off right before season and see what happens.
              .... we noticed the same thing. If feed was available, our better deer would always be there at night. 2 seasons ago we turned on the timed feeders and let the free choice run out about 2-3 weeks before the start of bow season to get the deer on a pattern of coming to the feed during the morning and afternoon. Made a huge difference. we feed protein from late Jan.- mid Aug.

Comment

I never quit

Comment

I dont stop.

Keep body conditions at their peak all year and they have more to put into antler growth during the spring and summer. Healthier herd, better deer.

However, if you are going to stop feeding I would quit from sept-dec.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                    Been ther, done that. That's why I developed the timed feeding device that Krivoman puts on his timed protein feeders.

Comment

We are running protein all the way until the end of August

Comment

October 1

Comment

I stop when the deer eat it all. Then I start when I fill it up again..... It keeps a lot of deer in the area when it is full, seems like better hunting to me. I have not really bought into that whole nocturnal thing. Seems like when it goes empty the good bucks leave.

Comment

I keep them full year round.

Comment

We shut em down at Sept 1 even if they have feed left in there then ooen them back up weekend after Xmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X