Help me with this smoker please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with this smoker please.

My wife and son gave this smoker to me a couple of years ago. It's just a Wally World special. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get the temp in the main chamber right. I've had the fire box so hot, it's taking the paint off and has melted the plastic knob off the dampener. It's a bolt together and there is a fairly small gap between the fire box and the main chamber. Could this be affecting the flow? I marked it with an arrow. I really want to figure this out. Help me my brutha's!
    Attached Files

Just a dumb thought but check and make sure the stove pipe is clear and not blocked and also make sure your temp gauge is working

Comment

How hot are you trying to get it? Smoking temps should be 200 - 350 degrees. Are you opening all dampners? Is your thermometer functioning correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
        My wife and son gave this smoker to me a couple of years ago. It's just a Wally World special. I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get the temp in the main chamber right. I've had the fire box so hot, it's taking the paint off and has melted the plastic knob off the dampener. It's a bolt together and there is a fairly small gap between the fire box and the main chamber. Could this be affecting the flow? I marked it with an arrow. I really want to figure this out. Help me my brutha's!
        Elaborate on what I highlighted above.

Comment

chasing yur tail brother!!

Comment

Find out how to setup and modify inexpensive offset smokers such as the Brinkmann Pitmaster, Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit Professional (a.k.a. SNPP), and Char-Broil Silver Smoker to get the best possible BBQ with the least possible expense.

Comment

^Good read

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Elaborate on what I highlighted above.
                I can run with everything wide open on dampeners. I have played with the stove pipe dampener but never have had the chamber get above about 180 degrees. Can I get the fire box too hot and affect the flow? Do I need to make the openings larger? I ain't against modifying these thing.

Comment

I would seal the gap between the firebox and the cooking chamber first, then go from there. A lot of heat is escaping, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    I would seal the gap between the firebox and the cooking chamber first, then go from there. A lot of heat is escaping, I think.
                    I'm thinking this too. From the article in the link above, it sounds like I could be building too hot of a fire.

Comment

First step is calibrate your temperature gauge.

Second is seal leaks

Third is to work on airflow/draft

Comment

Super thin metal = hard to control temps. Make sure the thermometer is not stuck. Maybe try putting an electronic meat probe in the smoke chamber to see what real temp is.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          First step is calibrate your temperature gauge.

Second is seal leaks

Third is to work on airflow/draft
                          I figure on pulling out the welder and taking care of the gap between the fire box and chamber. Then I'll go from there.

Comment

Are you sure you thermometer is correct

Comment

I second calibrating the thermometer it's probably off. Invest in a digital thermometer with probes that can measure the heat at grill level and internal temp of the meat being smoked. They also make a high temperature sealant that would be easier than welding it.

Comment

Working...
                              X