Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chop Saw - Has anyone replaced abrasive blade with diamond blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Hitachi 14" abrasive blade chop saw and was thinking of upgrading to a dry cut saw like the Evolution. This new saw isn't cheap and I already have the Hitachi, so was thinking about just replacing the blade with a diamond blade. I did some searching and saw this article:

The Milwaukee 14-Inch Steelhead Diamond Cut Off Blade is indeed an outstanding alternative to traditional abrasive disks. Check out why.

Was curious if anyone here had made this switch and what their experience was. This is a $75 blade vs. a $390 saw upgrade.

Seems like a no brainer, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the diamond blade on a chop saw. I use them on my 4" grinder with great results, can't see why this would be any different.

I had an evolution and it has it place, but for everyday work I prefer abrasive. The other blades are expensive and wear out very quickly

Comment

I’d check the rpm’s on both to see if they’re the same speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What materials are you cutting most?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Most of the abrasive saws have much higher rpms than the carbide/diamond saws do.

Comment

Different RPM will destroy the blades.

Comment

I have both. The carbide blades do a better job on soft steel, and are more expensive. They turn slower RPM than the abrasive saws, and don't create the abrasive dust. I have kind of gone back to using the abrasive blade saws on steel because the carbide blades are more expensive per cut, and use the carbide blades mostly for aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                I’d check the rpm’s on both to see if they’re the same speed

Already checked this, saw is 4000 and blade is rated for 5500.

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                What materials are you cutting most?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                Angle iron, pipe and square tubing, all low grade steel.

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                I have both. The carbide blades do a better job on soft steel, and are more expensive. They turn slower RPM than the abrasive saws, and don't create the abrasive dust. I have kind of gone back to using the abrasive blade saws on steel because the carbide blades are more expensive per cut, and use the carbide blades mostly for aluminum.
                Diamond, not carbide, very different. The diamond is reported to last as long as 75 abrasive discs, so in the long run this is a cheaper option. I found it on eBay for $69.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Comment

I was always wondering about that but just kept my abrasive cutoff saw, good to know though

Comment

JES, Looks like your the guinea pig. Let us know how it works.

I'll probably buy one too.

Comment

I wanted to do the same with my DeWalt a few years ago and they said rpms were to high on my model and would not work. Then I see they use the same model saw at the place I buy steel and they are using the metal blade day in and day out. Hmmm

Comment

. Can’t never have too many tools.
                        In for the outcome

Comment

A lot of masonry crews are using old chop saws with diamond masonry blades to cut brick now.

Comment

I spent the money to get a cold saw with the carbide tipped blades (12"Makita) I use it for my little side hustle fab business. Mostly square tubing, I'm pleased with it. I feel like it has paid for itself several times over.

Comment

Diamond blade is performing really well, I highly recommend this if you want a better option than the abrasive blades.

Comment

Working...
                              X