Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Looking to buy my kids a deer rifle. I’ve always thought I’d go .243 but I’m also intrigued by the 6.5 CM (don’t own one, just heard good things). Am I missing any other options? Thoughts? Recommendations? Sorry, I know this is a bowhunting site... 🤣

H has a 300 AAC and 6.5 creed.

I wish I would have gone with a youth or compact 7-08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bought my 10 year old son a savage youth .243. Fits him well and he dropped a doe last weekend.

Comment

Kids used 243's for decades. I don't know that the 6.5's are any better. That being said, I'm going with the grendel for my grandsons.

Comment

I also but my 9 yo a savage youth but in a 6.5 CM. He hasn’t had the opportunity to use it in a hunt. It fits him perfect and the caliber has worked for him with a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My oldest is almost 8 and has used a ruger American youth 223. Shot two doe with it so far. No complaints but do wish it was a larger diameter bullet now that he’s getting bigger.

Comment

I bought my son, now 30, a Savage Mark V .243 about 18 or so years ago. It's the same rifle he uses today. I think .243 is a good choice.

Comment

7mm-08. Start them on the Hornady light loads, they are about the same energy and recoil as a 243. They can grow into the full power 7mm-08 loads.

Comment

6.5grendel

Comment

My 5 yr old nephew did this just fine on his own standing with a tripod with a 6 Creed I put together for him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DDB6D474-C536-423E-81D2-B25848473647.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	24638065

Comment

My personal opinion...if you truly want to start your kid out right, recoil management is the way to go. You can accomplish this a number of ways...small caliber (less than or equal to .243), moderate caliber with light loads (25 and 26 calibers) and/or muzzle breaks. I think many dads end up buying too much gun at the onset, hoping their kid will "grow into it" and minimize having to buy another rifle later on. The problem with this is that many kids develop poor shooting habits (flinch) and have difficulty managing it down the road.

My personal choice for my son began with a Ruger American 22 Mag, then stepping up to .243 in that same platform. It has worked like a charm, and I don't regret the decision at all.

Comment

As stated above, the savage axis youth .243 is a great gun for little guys. You don’t have to worry about them beating it up and it will drop them like any other gun.

Now, my daughter has one of those pink .223. She likes it because it doesn’t kick. If you have really small kids, that stationary shooting tripod is a great accessory.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                          My personal opinion...if you truly want to start your kid out right, recoil management is the way to go. You can accomplish this a number of ways...small caliber (less than or equal to .243), moderate caliber with light loads (25 and 26 calibers) and/or muzzle breaks. I think many dads end up buying too much gun at the onset, hoping their kid will "grow into it" and minimize having to buy another rifle later on. The problem with this is that many kids develop poor shooting habits (flinch) and have difficulty managing it down the road.

My personal choice for my son began with a Ruger American 22 Mag, then stepping up to .243 in that same platform. It has worked like a charm, and I don't regret the decision at all.
                          Good advice.

Comment

.243 for starter or something similar!
                            Something besides a mule.

Comment

7mm 08 great gun and they can use it forever

Comment

Working...
                              X