Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to paint my new to me flat bottom bottom on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to paint my new to me flat bottom bottom on a budget?

Hey guys- so we have stripped everything off and are about to start putting her back together. I’ve spent about what I can spend, and the paint will look just fine. But since I have it all stripped out my mind is spinning and wouldn’t mind finishing the whole project the right way. So what are my options? How would I go about doing it myself- or what could I get someone to do it for? Anyone within a couple hours of Waco or actually on the way to Louisiana as I’m going there next week with the capabilities? I’m just trying to finish it out right..... I’ve come this far....

On a second note what’s the easiest way to strip old carpet glue off of aluminum?

I've always used Parker Duck Boat paints. Self etching and very durable

Comment

Parker boat paint

Comment

A pneumatic sander with a 3M scotch brite pad will take the glue off without hurting the aluminum. Then I would hand sand it with 36 grit sandpaper to give it a good surface to adhere to.

Then I would spray the rattle can bed liner on the bottom if it were me. 3-4 cans should cover it pretty good depending on how big it is.

Comment

As others have said Parker boat paint, you should actually be able to find some at Cabelas, heck check the bargain cave when youre there, last time I found 5 gallons of the OD green for 50% off.

For the bottom of the boat, Gator Glide without a doubt if its within your budget.

Comment

So I have stripped the interior completely, putting new wood for floor and platform, have hydroturf on the way, rewiring everything...... the Camo paint actually looks ok ish...... but doesn’t look just awesome. How big of an undertaking are we talking about to strip and paint this whole sucker? My FIL is telling me it’s just not worth it- what are opinions from people who actually know? Does it really add significant value or would I just feel better about myself because it’s prettier..... and how much work is actually involved? Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
              So I have stripped the interior completely, putting new wood for floor and platform, have hydroturf on the way, rewiring everything...... the Camo paint actually looks ok ish...... but doesn’t look just awesome. How big of an undertaking are we talking about to strip and paint this whole sucker? My FIL is telling me it’s just not worth it- what are opinions from people who actually know? Does it really add significant value or would I just feel better about myself because it’s prettier..... and how much work is actually involved? Thanks guys!
              Its going to be up to you pretty much. The fish dont care, neither do ducks.

If you think it already looks ok ish then its probably just a personal preferance. Adding significant value is a stretch if youre talking about just a paint job. Gator glide however would definitely help in both performance and resale.

Work itself is pretty easy, get a good stripper and the whole boat could be stripped in one or two days. paint goes on just as easy. I would say depending on the layout of your boat,disassembly, strip, prep, paint, and reassembly could be done in one week by one person.

Comment

if you strip it it definitely needs to have at the very least a clear shot over it or it will start to pit and corrode.
                Talking from experience i have done this before on an old jon boat. They sell stuff at west marine that you brush on and leave sit for a few mins and it will turn the paint into mush.... have a pressure washer ready and blast it off clean. otherwise a wire brush and scraper you will hate this job

Comment

Check out the website tin boats. They have a couple of sections devoted to refurbishing aluminum boats.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                    Hey guys- so we have stripped everything off and are about to start putting her back together. I’ve spent about what I can spend, and the paint will look just fine. But since I have it all stripped out my mind is spinning and wouldn’t mind finishing the whole project the right way. So what are my options? How would I go about doing it myself- or what could I get someone to do it for? Anyone within a couple hours of Waco or actually on the way to Louisiana as I’m going there next week with the capabilities? I’m just trying to finish it out right..... I’ve come this far....

On a second note what’s the easiest way to strip old carpet glue off of aluminum?
                    Hahaha, well I'm in Waco, and heading to Louisiana to fish with my boat this Friday.

I also have done this.

I went with duralux boat paint, bought a $20 paint sprayer from harbor freight, hit it with self etching primer spray cans.And went to town. Looks great a year later. And I've not exactly been gentle too it.

Can also buy the duralux in spray cans.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                      Hahaha, well I'm in Waco, and heading to Louisiana to fish with my boat this Friday.

I also have done this.

I went with duralux boat paint, bought a $20 paint sprayer from harbor freight, hit it with self etching primer spray cans.And went to town. Looks great a year later. And I've not exactly been gentle too it.

Can also buy the duralux in spray cans.

That doesn’t happen to be a 16ft Monark does it? Cause I’m redoin an ‘82 at the moment that I may have a few questions for you on. It looks like the exact same boat mines just in a few more pieces lol

Comment

Originally posted by KBM View Post
                        That doesn’t happen to be a 16ft Monark does it? Cause I’m redoin an ‘82 at the moment that I may have a few questions for you on. It looks like the exact same boat mines just in a few more pieces lol
                        Nope, started life as a sea nymph. 17.5x60 mod v. Completely gone through top to bottom. But I may still be able to help you.

Comment

Working...
                        X