No announcement yet.

Mathews Halon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write up. I will be interested to draw one I shot the original chill for a little while and then last year picked up a chill r with rock mods. I chose it over the no cam because I was not a big fan of the no cam back wall. I wil be interested to see what the draw cycle is like on this bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
      Wow, because with 85% Rock Mods my Chill R is like buttery smooth.

This makes sense as it continues with the Rock Mod system which is pretty dang solid IMO.

Ugh, now I have to decided between the 5 and 6... 5 doesn't scare me... but worried about colder weather hunting being a problem with sleeves.
      Meant it was much better than the Monster...similar to Chill R.

I was between the 5 and 6 but I have found that with 5 & 6" BH bows if you shoot them enough to be comfortable and keep your form consistent it isn't an issue. For me I am less concerned about IBO speed with a 350gr arrow and more concerned with flatter trajectory and momentum with 510gr FMJs for hunting out West. Absolute worst case if its cold and becomes an issue I will wear an arm guard but its never been an issue with my M5.

Comment

I think the switchback xt was far from their best bow and i've owned almost every mathews since the switchback minus a spell with a few bowtechs.

The z7 to me was the best bow they'd made since the original switchback. While a great bow I had a very difficult time with both the SB and SBxt tuning. The z7 was a strong bow and had a 30 ata.

The next few bows I only like the 30 ata variants and the 28's just stunk for me (z7 extreme, creed xs). Candidly since the z7 I've been lukewarm on the bows . . . . still love em more then the competition but never really liked em like my z7.

My current htr is a good bow and based on a paper Glenn at WHA suggested I try 340 spine and finally got the groups and performance I wanted. I dropped my dl to 27.5 after shooting 28" for the longest time and moved to a 340 spine all with a draw weight of around 63lbs (the chart doesn't even put me close to that heavy a spine).

I'm going to shoot it asap but I'll shoot it next to everything else and suspect that the feel of the solocam will be gone and it'll feel like a dual cam bow. Frankly i think that open up all the competitors to be compared apples to apples. The solocam for me was the smoothness of the draw for my old and decrepit shoulders. I've shot a monster variant every year and simply didn't like it.

if they were able to maintain their famous draw cycle with dual cams and increase the speed back up then I'll be a buyer. Weight is a funny joke. I think more weight helps your body stay on target a lot better then light weight.

Comment

I just bought a chill r but it's going to be hard to not go try these out... Me like

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
            Meant it was much better than the Monster...similar to Chill R.

I was between the 5 and 6 but I have found that with 5 & 6" BH bows if you shoot them enough to be comfortable and keep your form consistent it isn't an issue. For me I am less concerned about IBO speed with a 350gr arrow and more concerned with flatter trajectory and momentum with 510gr FMJs for hunting out West. Absolute worst case if its cold and becomes an issue I will wear an arm guard but its never been an issue with my M5.
            Makes sense.... you're pushing me to the 5 lol. Usually when the Predator Fleece goes on so does my lightweight armguard. I shoot a low GPI arrow with brass inserts up front to bring total weight and FOC up, so I'm all about the extra oomph.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
              The solocam for me was the smoothness of the draw for my old and decrepit shoulders. I've shot a monster variant every year and simply didn't like it.

if they were able to maintain their famous draw cycle with dual cams and increase the speed back up then I'll be a buyer. Weight is a funny joke. I think more weight helps your body stay on target a lot better then light weight.
              Yeah as smooth as my Chill R is... my SB XT is smoother, the SB/Outback + variants I think were well ahead of their time on comfort to shoot. I think Mathews has to some extent bowed to the market. Its possible they just can't hit the speeds they think would sell with a solo cam? Just a guess.

Comment

Wonder how the flat back grip compares to the focus grip? What did you think about it Closetohome?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
                  Wonder how the flat back grip compares to the focus grip? What did you think about it Closetohome?
                  I have big hands and I have always preferred the wood grips. I found the original focus grip too small for me and awkward. The new flat back grip fit well...it didn't feel as weird to me as the original focus grip. Felt more like it belonged on the bow than my first impression with the original focus grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
                    I have big hands and I have always preferred the wood grips. I found the original focus grip too small for me and awkward. The new flat back grip fit well...it didn't feel as weird to me as the original focus grip. Felt more like it belonged on the bow than my first impression with the original focus grip.
                    Thank you sir.

Comment

was just by C&S Archery & they shot the Halon 6 @ 30'' 70# with a 350 grn. 85% let off 335 fps thru the chrono

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                        Makes sense.... you're pushing me to the 5 lol. Usually when the Predator Fleece goes on so does my lightweight armguard. I shoot a low GPI arrow with brass inserts up front to bring total weight and FOC up, so I'm all about the extra oomph.
                        Have some Easton Axis 260s with brass inserts that are going with my 5. Should be pretty devastating.

Comment

Sorry bud. I looked and didn't see a thread on these. I flat over looked it. I started one after you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            Sorry bud. I looked and didn't see a thread on these. I flat over looked it. I started one after you.
                            nevermind...

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                              nevermind...

HEEEY!!! There is hope. [emoji13]

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                                HEEEY!!! There is hope. [emoji13]
                                just not worth my time...

at least we both like mathews bows...

Comment

Working...