School me on antler development...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on antler development...

As with any other topic, lots of conflicting articles out there. I figure some of you have a controlled environment and watch deer grow up.

At what age is maximum antler development?

At what age do they hit 90% antler development?

Is there an age sequence in antler development - width, mass, tine length?

That last one triggered by an article I read...

Anything else you would like to share?

Way too many factors and guess work involved in those first 2 questions.

I have read articles where a deer had his best rack in a breeder pen at age 3. And then another that had his best rack at 9.

Personally I would guess overall between 6-8 yo being max antler development. With location being another factor.

And I would guess 5-7 yo being 90%

Good luck lol

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb03 View Post
      Way too many factors and guess work involved in those first 2 questions.

I have read articles where a deer had his best rack in a breeder pen at age 3. And then another that had his best rack at 9.

Personally I would guess overall between 6-8 yo being max antler development. With location being another factor.

And I would guess 5-7 yo being 90%

Good luck lol

I’ll agree with Jake. On average a free range deer would hit his max potential about year 6-7. Once they reach skeletal maturity, much more of the nutrients consumed can be dedicated to head gear instead of filling out a bucks skeletal frame. I believe that normally happens around age between ages 4.5-6.5. Hence the reason for the largest jumps in rack size coming in years 5.5-7.5

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Based on research I have read...

Max antler growth occurs at 6.5 or 7.5 years old. My guess is the year prior and the year after their max, they'd be at 90%.

I'm not sure I understand your third question.

Additional info: Calcium and Phorphorus comprise a third of a deer's antlers. I haven't put this into practice so just based on what I've read, you want to make sure that if you're trying to supplement deer for the purpose of antler growth, to include those two elements.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Based on research I have read...

Max antler growth occurs at 6.5 or 7.5 years old. My guess is the year prior and the year after their max, they'd be at 90%.

I'm not sure I understand your third question.

Additional info: Calcium and Phorphorus comprise a third of a deer's antlers. I haven't put this into practice so just based on what I've read, you want to make sure that if you're trying to supplement deer for the purpose of antler growth, to include those two elements.
          Not sure I do either, the article essentially side tine length was the last to develop as deer progress to their best rack.

Comment

said not side

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
              Not sure I do either, the article essentially side tine length was the last to develop as deer progress to their best rack.
              You may watch this. I found it when researching spikes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCTSfl9eBxw"]Build Bigger Bucks by Understanding Growth Cycles - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Look up Miss State Deer Lab- they have a bunch of videos on facebook as well other than their website

Comment

In general, I think most bucks hit their full potential at 6.5, then basically maintain that for 3-4 years unless their teeth break down. Rainfall certainly is a big player year to year.
                  Once their teeth get in bad shape, they will fall off fast.

We have bucks in our HF that are 10-12 years old.

Comment

give em until 5-6 depending upon area.

Comment

Working...
                    X