Building a octagon vs a hexagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a octagon vs a hexagon

I'm looking to build a bow tower blind. I already have the tower, just need to put a platform on it. Which would you build and why?

Are you wanting to be able to shoot 360, 180, just at a feeder?

Comment

I looked into this when I was considering a build. I'm sure it is just personal preference, but it seems easier to build a hex vs an oct due to less angles.

Comment

I want to shoot 360. Let me say this, I plan on building it on the ground, disassemble it and pull up a wall at a time.

Comment

I built octagon and only put three windows in it. Angles wont change the difficulty, once you set the saw it stays there till your done cutting them. That said if youre gonna be hoisting up into the air 8 sides will be more trips but each side should weigh less than 6 due to size of the panel. Couple things I learned on my build.... and Id do differently if you rip 2x4s at an angle (22 1/2 for 8 sides) and mate them later MARK each 2x4 so you match them. I marked them but used each 2x4 for a panel. Should have had half on one panel and one on the next one. I made an 8 sided roof and prolly wont do that again. Make a panel at a time and fit to base vs. all 8 at a time.

I really enjoyed all the room in the one I made and being able to have 2 people with large chairs. In my experience the deer got used to it far sooner than a standard popup/hub style. Like a few days versus months of the primos I bought. Not to after shooting a deer from the primos I had to move it to get the deer to come back. They came back the same day when shooting out of a wood octagon I can stand up in

Comment

8 windows is a bigger pain in the *** than 6.

Comment

I would go with Quackerbox's suggestion, but use 4 windows. With 8 sides you basically building a round structure.

Comment

I haven't built one, but I'd like to look at a pentagon. Five sheets of plywood and leave them at full four foot width gets you just over 6 foot shooting depth. Fewer windows to cut/build/buy, fewer angles to cut, just need to cut the plywood sheets to desired height and get after it. Pentagon also allows the ability to back into a corner without being silhouetted between any two windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post
                  I haven't built one, but I'd like to look at a pentagon. Five sheets of plywood and leave them at full four foot width gets you just over 6 foot shooting depth. Fewer windows to cut/build/buy, fewer angles to cut, just need to cut the plywood sheets to desired height and get after it. Pentagon also allows the ability to back into a corner without being silhouetted between any two windows.
                  I haven't tried my own build yet but I like this idea..

Comment

If you want to shoot 360, build a round blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post

I like this idea!

Comment

Bringing this back hoping for a little more info.

If you’re building one for 3 people or 2 bowhunters, which one would you build? Thinking of 4’ wide walls.

Comment

I did a hexagon. I like it because it gives me a little more room between the windows to sit in to hid my silhouette if that makes sense

Comment

Hexagon is easy with 4' wide sides - if you cut wall height to 80" (16" x 48" leftover) you can also do it with 5 sheets of plywood instead of 6 (and no waste).

At 4' sides, you have 8' width peak to peak, and just over 7' from flat to flat. You can easily fit 2 people and can shoot 180* easily with 6 windows in the front 3 sides.

However, I've been pricing a buildout of one with current lumber pricing, and if you intend to build a floor for one - its about the same price as buying a krivoman ready to go - you can save a little if you make your own door, but at this point I'd buy the deer view doors as well because the door was always a spot for wasps and bugs to come in - hard to get a handmade one to seal great. I like building them so Im inclined to build another, but the price of a Krivoman or even a Maverick blind (cheaper) is kind of tempting for something that will last.

Comment

Don’t have any experience with the hexagon or one vs the other but I went with an octagon on one I built. 4 sheets basically ripped in half (approx 24” per side) will make the 8 sides. I did the roof with 8 triangles but would probably just use a shed roof if I did another. Don’t remember the dimensions exactly but it was pretty roomy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X