Food Plot Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plot Seeds

Hey im wanting to do a spring time food plot to bring some deer in to my stand and then follow up with a good fall plot as well. I was thinking Purple Hulls and Watermelon for spring anyone know of a cheap website to order a lot of seeds? any suggestions of diff spring and fall plots as well trying to do it cheaply as possible

You need to check your pH levels. Your area is going to need to be prep before you plant, I struggled to get the levels right.

Comment

East Texas Seed Company makes a very good, General use spring seed mix. If you can find a feed store close to you that sells it. I’ve been planting their stuff for over 5 years

Comment

While deer do like watermelon I’d say they would be a terrible choice for a plot. Too much work and coyotes will get 20 to 1 what deer would eat and zero protein value. Peas are good but can’t handle the pressure unless you an plant 8-10 acres. Iron & clay cow peas are about the best there is ( all my research shows them to be best actually)

Spend the extra $15 and get a soil test and produce 5-6 tons per acre of the best game in town

Comment

[QUOTE=Low Fence;13265171 Peas are good but can’t handle the pressure unless you an plant 8-10 acres. Iron & clay cow peas are about the best there is ( all my research shows them to be best actually)

This depends on your deer density and the amount of native browse available. I plant 3/4 acres every year on 217 acres and they generally last until fall planting time. Another place with more deer and less browse the two acre planting of IC peas only lasted about 6 weeks, but it's still much cheaper than feeding protein.

These peas were planted in the first week of May and are still going strong July 5 of last year. Deer in them every day. Get your soil right first though, so your crop benefits from the fertilizer.
          Attached Files

Comment

[quote=Drycreek3189;13265225][QUOTE=Low Fence;13265171 Peas are good but can’t handle the pressure unless you an plant 8-10 acres. Iron & clay cow peas are about the best there is ( all my research shows them to be best actually)

This depends on your deer density and the amount of native browse available. I plant 3/4 acres every year on 217 acres and they generally last until fall planting time. Another place with more deer and less browse the two acre planting of IC peas only lasted about 6 weeks, but it's still much cheaper than feeding protein.

These peas were planted in the first week of May and are still going strong July 5 of last year. Deer in them every day. Get your soil right first though, so your crop benefits from the fertilizer.[/quote]

If planted side by side soybeans vs IC, in all my testing te deer will choice IC 100% of the time. If fenced IC will out produce in tonnage as well. They will also take pressure better.

BUT ..... they can be over browsed in areas and situations of high density due to being so preferred. Both are great and better than anything with a deer on the bag though

Plant both. They are both proven

Comment

[quote=Low Fence;13265256]
              Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

If planted side by side soybeans vs IC, in all my testing te deer will choice IC 100% of the time. If fenced IC will out produce in tonnage as well. They will also take pressure better.

BUT ..... they can be over browsed in areas and situations of high density due to being so preferred. Both are great and better than anything with a deer on the bag though

Plant both. They are both proven
              I agree, for the money IC peas can't be beaten. I'm gonna have to do RR beans in two plots this year though, pig weed is eating my lunch ! I got that crap from feed store seeds, which is another thing: Check the weed content on whatever you're buying ! You just may wind up with invasive weeds !

Comment

Did y’all have an issue with the pH levels of your soil before planting, and where did y’all end up with the pH levels when planting?
                I struggled with pH levels when I hunted pineywoods and really didn’t have the ability to use a tractor as often as I needed.

Comment

I plan on plating 1-1.5 acres of I/C peas mixed with lablab.

Been reading to plant it with Sunn Hemp, Sunflowers or Sorghum. But I only need 5-10 lbs. Not buying a 50 lb bag of it.

Any ideas what else to mix with it to help it stalk up?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                    Did y’all have an issue with the pH levels of your soil before planting, and where did y’all end up with the pH levels when planting?
                    I struggled with pH levels when I hunted pineywoods and really didn’t have the ability to use a tractor as often as I needed.
                    Where there are pines, yes, lime will most likely be needed. I'm in north central Texas, and naturally have neutral soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                      Where there are pines, yes, lime will most likely be needed. I'm in north central Texas, and naturally have neutral soil.
                      Yea, I know the pines are the problem and just burning didn’t produce enough potash to lower the pH enough. That’s why I’m asking where their levels were, I guess your point is to go read the bag?

Comment

American vetch or deer vetch

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                          East Texas Seed Company makes a very good, General use spring seed mix. If you can find a feed store close to you that sells it. I’ve been planting their stuff for over 5 years
                          I second the spring plot mix from them. Used it last season with great results and using it again this spring

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            I plan on plating 1-1.5 acres of I/C peas mixed with lablab.

Been reading to plant it with Sunn Hemp, Sunflowers or Sorghum. But I only need 5-10 lbs. Not buying a 50 lb bag of it.

Any ideas what else to mix with it to help it stalk up?

Broadcast a bag of milo on whatever you plant. Cheap and you'll get decent results, better if you drag it after you broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                              Yea, I know the pines are the problem and just burning didn’t produce enough potash to lower the pH enough. That’s why I’m asking where their levels were, I guess your point is to go read the bag?
                              You mention lowering ph. That's not a problem I've ever had. All my plots in ETexas have been low to begin with. You're looking for a ph of 6.5/7 to be in the neutral zone.
                              If your ph is low, lime is what you need. If you'll take your soil test correctly, you will get a really good idea how much lime (or fertilzer) you need per acre. It needs to be disced in 4/6" deep well before you plant if possible to get the best results. Due to the time frame, you're not going to get the results you want for spring, but if you add the right amount of lime, it will be working for your fall planting.

Comment

Working...
                              X