How Tall on Feeder Legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Tall on Feeder Legs?

I am piecing together a 55 gallon corn feeder for my new lease. I will be putting a 12v control unit with the eliminator plate and it will be in a pen to keep hogs out. How short is safe? Need to get the pipe for the legs, how long should they be cut?

Unless it is one heck of a pen you AIN"T going to keep the hogs out. If you do a stand and fill feeder, then make sure you have a good, stout coon guard covering the motor and spinner.

Comment

Just long enough for you to fill from solid ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        This

Comment

How big is the pen? I'm like mine a little tall. Probably 7 ft to bottom of barrel. My thinking is a taller one will sling corn further than a stand and fill. Just my $.02 I'm sure my thinking could be debunked. But I can back a truck to mine and fill it form my tool box.
          If its penned, you could have the plate at 3 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
            How big is the pen? I'm like mine a little tall. Probably 7 ft to bottom of barrel. My thinking is a taller one will sling corn further than a stand and fill. Just my $.02 I'm sure my thinking could be debunked. But I can back a truck to mine and fill it form my tool box.
            If its penned, you could have the plate at 3 feet.
            Going to be 10 panels so 160' which would be diameter of little more than 50'

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              This is what I was thinking, will the be ok without varmint guard if I have the eliminator plate?

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
                This
                Agree

Comment

Assuming it has a good motor, the higher it is, the farther it will sling corn. That's why I really like a winch-up feeder on 14' legs. Kind of the best of both worlds; easy to fill but still slings the corn over a huge area.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                    Assuming it has a good motor, the higher it is, the farther it will sling corn. That's why I really like a winch-up feeder on 14' legs. Kind of the best of both worlds; easy to fill but still slings the corn over a huge area.
                    My thoughts exactly. This and it is harder for coons, hogs or cattle to get to the motor. Knock on wood, but with the winch up feeders I have used for years, never had one destroyed by hogs or cattle. With the corn being thrown in a large area, less corn keeps the deer there longer and gives me a larger variety and window for shots!

Comment

Last one I built the legs were 8' long and the bracket was @25 degrees. It turned out to be the perfect height imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                        This is what I was thinking, will the be ok without varmint guard if I have the eliminator plate?
                        Yes

Comment

7’ legs unless you want to make it a stand and fill

Comment

Mine are stand and fill but the standing part is on the tailgate, if I remember right the legs are 6' 6" and that puts the feeder about 5 foot off the ground

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                              Mine are stand and fill but the standing part is on the tailgate, if I remember right the legs are 6' 6" and that puts the feeder about 5 foot off the ground
                              thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X