No announcement yet.

2018 Alamo Precision Rifles TBH Special Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought my wife a custom built from y’all 2 years ago Guess it’s my turn now. C u soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump

Comment

7mm 08, 6.5CM or 308?
        I have a 308 now, that I love, but I’ve never shot the other two. I’ve never come close to hunting outside of Texas, but if the opportunity came up, I’d like to be prepared. I will probly never see 1k yard shot, but I would like to be comfortable out to 5-600. I keep hearing all this hate for the CM, but ballistics and ammo availability speak pretty loud to me, because I don’t reload yet. This will be a suppressed rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          7mm 08, 6.5CM or 308?
          I have a 308 now, that I love, but I’ve never shot the other two. I’ve never come close to hunting outside of Texas, but if the opportunity came up, I’d like to be prepared. I will probly never see 1k yard shot, but I would like to be comfortable out to 5-600. I keep hearing all this hate for the CM, but ballistics and ammo availability speak pretty loud to me, because I don’t reload yet. This will be a suppressed rifle.

Out of those options I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor but I own several other 6.5's. It's hard to beat a 6.5 and the ammo availability is awesome for the 6.5CM.

Comment

7mm 08, 6.5CM or 308?

Short action with factory ammo the 6.5 Creed makes the most sense.

Comment

7mm 08, 6.5CM or 308?

I’m in the same boat. I have 7 different .308’s and a load is ammo. That makes the decision hard. Out of the same 3 choices, I’m leaning 7mm08. The CM needs a longer barrel than the other two. I shoot almost 100% suppressed so a 24 plus on a CM plus a can is too long. Sounds like I can get away with a 20” 7mm08 and be ok inside of 400. Decisions Decisions

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                I’m in the same boat. I have 7 different .308’s and a load is ammo. That makes the decision hard. Out of the same 3 choices, I’m leaning 7mm08. The CM needs a longer barrel than the other two. I shoot almost 100% suppressed so a 24 plus on a CM plus a can is too long. Sounds like I can get away with a 20” 7mm08 and be ok inside of 400. Decisions Decisions

Great....something else for me to think about!

Comment

I went with a 7-08. My intended purpose is hunting out to 400 yards or less. It seemed like ballistics on the 6.5, 308 and 7-08 were very similar out to 400. I didn’t want the longer barrel of the 6.5, already have a 30-06, so decided to go with the 7-08. All 3 have plenty factory loads to choose from.

Comment

The CM needs a longer barrel than the other two.
                    What makes you think that?

(Owner of a 16" 6.5 CM that shoots lights out)

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

x2

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

Is yours suppressed?

Comment

I do shoot it suppressed primarily, yes. Unsuppressed the flash and noise aren't as bad as expected. It kicks a little harder than it did at 24", likely just the weight, and still not as much as a .270.

To be clear I probably wouldn't get a custom APR rifle cut to 16"; it's exceptionally accurate but you do lose ~150 fps. But I wanted to have a custom 20" rifle made and was deciding on a cartridge, I wouldn't hesitate to do it in 6.5 CM.
                          Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 01-16-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I gave APR a call this afternoon and spoke with Jason. Great guy to talk to, and answered every question I had without making me feel dumb. Now all I have to figure out is what color.....I'm thinking one of the sponge camo's. What are yall doing for color on yours?

Comment

Shortest barrel you guys can see a 257 Wby and a 300 rum at?
                              Shooting suppressed and want to avoid a telephone pole

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                                Shortest barrel you guys can see a 257 Wby and a 300 rum at?
                                Shooting suppressed and want to avoid a telephone pole
                                Talk to the boys at APR, but I can’t see going shorter than 24. I don’t like unburned powder. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X