No announcement yet.

SwampRabbit going live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to close out this thread. No recovery. Loooooong drive home.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang Scott I'm sorry. Was hoping you'd find her!! You'll get it done though, there's still a lot of season left.

Comment

You did what you could do! It happens, and chances are high she heals up just fine!

Comment

Thanks again guys for your encouragement throughout. It was a pretty tiring weekend.

I have had some time to dwell on the shot. I obviosly hit her higher than I wanted to. Left/Right looked good, but I could swear it was below the spine. She bleated when I stuck her... and I noted the lack of "crashing" that I would have expected from a "death run." I and eventually a leasemate grid searched a vast span of area. Besides the two pieces of arrow, there was no other blood on the ground. If I hadn't seen my arrow sticking out, I would have said she was strapped... but I will never know, and that will be the burden I carry. I have strapped one before, but I knew it and got over it other than a blow to my ego.

But like I tell others that have been through this... "chin up!" I will heed my own advice.

But... I may forego the live threads again for a while.

Comment

Man it's up to you...but I love reading everybody's live threads!! Especially when I'm working and can't hunt. And after this next week/weekend I'll be done other than my normal days off!!

Comment

I know you don't want to hear that it happens. It devastates me when I lose/wound a deer. It's not fun but the best medicine is to nock another arrow and get on to the next hunt.

Good luck and you will seal it next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It'll turn around for you. You've put the effort in so all you can do is stick with it. As for the live thread of course it's your decision. I know people wouldn't enjoy it very much if I tried to do a live thread. I would have to take pics and note events that happened and type it up later. Hell I don't even like to tell anyone that I shot something until I recover it because I feel like I've jinxed myself by doing it in the past. Good luck bud.

Comment

Just got caught up on the thread. Sorry about the bad luck. You'll get another opportunity soon. With a stick and a string nothing is easy. Thats what makes trad hunting SOO rewarding when it finally all comes together,

Comment

I started bowhunting (traditional) back in 1970 and by the mid seventies I bought my first compound and hunted with it and I harvested so many deer over the years I've lost count how many, but it is a lot.
                    With that said, I've had to deal with that gut wrenching feeling of losing a deer, and the way I dealt with it is to put it behind you by reflecting on what you shoulda coulda, and try to correct what you did by hitting the range.
                    It always seemed to help me just to fire off my frustrations by slinging some arrows.

Comment

My advice is to try and film all of your shots. I can't tell you how valuable actual video evidence of the shot is. Especially in the type of terrain you are hunting in. I'm in the hill country also and it can be very difficult to track when the grass is high or when the blood doesn't fall on a white rock.

I don't try and make professional type videos, just videos that give me what I need to access the shot and something I can learn from.

Cameras and tripods are cheap these days and easy to carry.

I can't tell you how many "perfect" shots weren't all that perfect after I reviewed them on the camera.

Also try and raise your ground blind up, there is nothing worse than having to worry about hitting the roof when you are about to shoot. Take that out of the equation.
                      Get (4) 2X6s and give it a lift.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        My advice is to try and film all of your shots. I can't tell you how valuable actual video evidence of the shot is. Especially in the type of terrain you are hunting in. I'm in the hill country also and it can be very difficult to track when the grass is high or when the blood doesn't fall on a white rock.
                        Yep... those darned little white rocks. You curse them when your broad head finds one, or you step on one funny... but are crying out to GOD why there aren't more around when you need them!

I don't try and make professional type videos, just videos that give me what I need to access the shot and something I can learn from.

I can't tell you how many "perfect" shots weren't all that perfect after I reviewed them on the camera.
                        Yeah, I really need to revisit the filming. I purchased a go pro a few years back and to be honest, I always considered it the "experienced hunter's toy." That is, when I am in the blind, I am still very focused on the animal and my movement that I don't want to be fidgeting with hitting record, etc. I figured I wanted more experience and confidence before filming my hunts. But as you said, it is a valuable tool in reviewing the shot.

Also try and raise your ground blind up, there is nothing worse than having to worry about hitting the roof when you are about to shoot. Take that out of the equation.
                        Yeah, that particular one is in a wooden box blind. Raising it will take some effort. The irony was I literally was having a conversation with my buddy (who built it) about how short it was for me and he understood and began thinking about what it would take to raise it up in the spring. He was sitting in a blind across the lease when that incident happened.

Last year I put up 2 cattle panel blinds that had high roofs... that is what I shot the doe on Sunday out of. I didn't have to worry about height at all. But, it still leaves me with fewer options than my other lease mates.

So many things to do... so little time to get them done.

Comment

Scott, just now gettin back to catching up after my trip... Sorry brother, tough break, but it does/and will happen, just learn from it, and move on! One thing that has always helped me, is don't ever forget it completely, cuz (to me) that's like I'm accepting it "as an OK thing to do/no big deal"... And as you know, it is a big deal! Hope that makes sense, but I have been there brother, and it ain't no fun! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Yep... those darned little white rocks. You curse them when your broad head finds one, or you step on one funny... but are crying out to GOD why there aren't more around when you need them!

Yeah, I really need to revisit the filming. I purchased a go pro a few years back and to be honest, I always considered it the "experienced hunter's toy." That is, when I am in the blind, I am still very focused on the animal and my movement that I don't want to be fidgeting with hitting record, etc. I figured I wanted more experience and confidence before filming my hunts. But as you said, it is a valuable tool in reviewing the shot.

Yeah, that particular one is in a wooden box blind. Raising it will take some effort. The irony was I literally was having a conversation with my buddy (who built it) about how short it was for me and he understood and began thinking about what it would take to raise it up in the spring. He was sitting in a blind across the lease when that incident happened.

Last year I put up 2 cattle panel blinds that had high roofs... that is what I shot the doe on Sunday out of. I didn't have to worry about height at all. But, it still leaves me with fewer options than my other lease mates.

So many things to do... so little time to get them done.
                            I have some R panel. Going to build a 6' tall blind for our new ranch. With a longer bow I will need to dig the chair legs into the sand so my limb doesn't hit the top of the current pop up I have.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post

I've finally gotten my last two kills on video. Made a camera mount and bought some as well.

Comment

Back in the stand...

Comment

Working...
                                X