Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Bisch Down Under!

OK, we are back! It was a great weekend......for me and the goats (You will see why the goats liked it as the story unfolds. I have earned a new title that will be revealed later also.).

I called ozy clint (a guy that I met on trad gang wholives in Australia) to get directions to his place and he said; "Hey mate, I do not have to work this afternoon so if you can come earlier we can get a hunt in this afternoon too". I was all over that and jumped in the car for the 3 hr ride from Brisbane to Eukey, where Clint lives. I arrived and we shook hands and Clint tells me that he has a place right down the road to go rabbit hunting. We changed into some camo clothes and off we went. These Aussie rabbits are a bit bigger than Texas rabbits and live in burrows in the ground. There will be 6 or 8 burrows all together. You find the burrows then sneak in and look through the binos to see if any rabbits are out. Here is a pic of Clint checking out a cluster of burrows:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 002.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  87.4 KB

Here is a few pics of me stalking one of those Aussie rabbits:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 004.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 003.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 006.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  61.2 KB

I thumped that rabbit right at the base of the head with a VPA small game head but it did not do much to him and he ran down into the burrow. So I decided to switch to my broadheads. We wandered around and right before dark we found a set of burrows with several rabbits out. I put the sneak on one and just barely clipped him and down the hole he went. I snuck in a little further and found another one. This time I was dead on the mark and I bagged my first critter in Australia! here is a pic of me and Clint with my rabbit:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 008.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  71.0 KB

After that we went to the house and had a great axis roast supper.

The next morning it was off to the goat hunting grounds. This was a ranch about an hour from Clint's place and we would be camping for the night. We arrived about noon and decided to hunt for the afternoon then come back and set up camp. We skirted the edge of the property to get the wind in our favor. After about an hour of walking we found our first goats. There was a "mob" of goats at a small pond. The pond was out in the open and we set up above the pond in the trees and just waited to see what they would do. Here is pic of the mob at the pond:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 025.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  51.6 KB

There was a big white billy in the group that we knicknamed "biggun". After quite a wait, the goats started to move away from the pond towards the woods to our left. We jumped into action and made our way through the bush to get the wind right and make an ambush. When we finally spotted them again they were in a wash just slowly feeding along. The stalk was on! We snuck in a ways and Clint told me to finish on my own and that he would stay back and watch. I snuck up to the edge of the wash and there they were.....with biggun in the lead. I got as close as I dared and then decided to wait on them to come closer to me. All was good for a while. Biggun had fell back to 2nd in line but the brown billy that had taken the lead would be a great one also. I waited and waited. Just as the brown billy was about to set himself up for a perfect shot, he decides to turn up into the woods......straight at me. He got to within 7 or 8 yds and then noticed me and Clint behind me, and stopped dead in his tracks. He stood there staring at us. He was so close I could see when he would change his focus from me to Clint and then back to me again. Now several other goats are working into the woods all around me. One even bedded down about 12 yds away. Here is a pic of me and the brown billy having the staredown (the goat is in the far left of the pic):

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 037.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  109.7 KB

After what seemed like forever, the brown billy finally spooked which alerted all the goats. The one that had bedded down jumped up and started to run off but stopped at about 15ys. I drew back and let one fly. Oh, no! I was sitting on the ground and it all happened so fast that I did not realize my cant and when I let go my bottom limb slapped the ground and the arrow never made it to the goat. After they spooked, Clint got this pic of me at full draw:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 039.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  118.5 KB

Oh, well, I always say that a clean miss is better than a bad hit anyday. This stalk was a blast and I just had a bit of bum luck at the end. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking for more goats but never found any more. At about dark it was time to pack it in and go set up camp. We need some rest after all the walking and still had another day of hunting to go.

G'day mates,

Bisch

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
huntinpool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gordon, The Matador (when drawn)

All the way to Australia to hunt rabbits and goats?
Nice read though.
huntinpool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Bisch
Pope & Young

Here is a pic of our camp. It was along the banks of a small river that is the border between the states of Queensland and New South Wales.

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 029.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  74.3 KB

We slept in swags (Aussie for sleeping bag) on the ground, under the stars. No tent or anything. This was the first place where Australia really jumped out at me. There were wild cockatoos, parrots, and parakeets flying around. I saw kangaroos and wallabys while walking through the woods:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 024.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  78.0 KB

And there was a 3 foot lizard too. Everyone told me to watch out for spiders and snakes over here before I left home. I still have not seen a snake but there are millions of spiders over here:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 023.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  34.5 KB

Clint claims they are harmles, but at about 3-4 inches long, they looked pretty mean to me and I made sure to stay clear of them.

And who would have thought that after a 15hr flight I would end up 97 kilometers from home? :

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 016.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  52.7 KB

More to come soon-

Bisch

--------------------
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinpool View Post
All the way to Australia to hunt rabbits and goats?
Nice read though.
This was just a warm-up. Red Stags are up next week!

Bisch
Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Charlie6Delta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind my house

Sounds like a great trip, keep'em coming. I am in.
Charlie6Delta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
TxAg
Pope & Young

Awesome. Keep up the updates. This gona be a fun read along
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Looks like you are having a great time over there.
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
Bisch
Pope & Young

Day 2 of the goat hunt was another great day in the Australian bush. Clint decided he wanted to hunt a new place where he had never hunted before. We went and met the landowner and after some advice from him, struck out into the woods. We found a mob of goats right off the bat. They crossed a fence and we lost them in the bush. We then started to make our way around the face of hill towards another mob we had seen while driving into the proprty. They were a couple ridges over and we were not exactly sure where they were. As we were making our way we looked down the hillside towards a small stock tank and discovered that another mob of gots had moved in there for a drink. We made our way down the hill and decided on a stalking game plan. Clint put me in the lead again and I made a stalk I am proud of all the way to within about 17yds of the goats. After missing one yesterday I was not in a mood to be picky so I had my eyes set on the closest one which was a small white billy. He was bedded down and closest to me. I crept in and got up on my knees for the shot when all of sudden the billy got up and began to move away. I came to full draw and loosed an arrow when the goat was right at 20yds. I am not sure what is going on now but I whiffed one right over his back and sent my Silverflame tipped arrow right into a rock wall behind where he had been standing (this is the first Silverflame that I have ever had break). Here is a few more pics:

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 041.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 043.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 038.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  120.1 KB

The next pic should have been a glory pic.....but it was not to be. The score is now Goats-2, Bisch-0!

Bisch
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
The "Juan" 12
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stamford, Tx

This is awesome!! Stay safe n keep having fun!!
The "Juan" 12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Calhoun County

It looks like you had a great time so far! I'll keep checking for pics and details.
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Bisch
Pope & Young

After that little hiccup, we decide to again go look for the goats a couple ridges over. We started up the first hill and Clint saw a termite mound and we decided to shoot an arrow at it. Clint went first and hit it squarely. His arrow laid across the face of the mound and I decided to aim at a spot a couple inches above his arrow. OOPS! I let go and SMACK, pieces of arrow went in two different directions. I had center-punched Clint's arrow and broke it in two.

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 035.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  96.7 KB

After the apologies we continued on our way. I heard Clint mumbling something kind of under his breath about making Bisch go first the next time we go stump shooting!

We made it about halfway up the hill when all of a sudden we see two goats about 50 yds from us heading down the same hill we are on. We ducked down and watched them go down the hill to the same tank I had just missed the small white billy at. We turned around and made our way back down the hill to find a mob of goats with seeral nice billies and one huge one.

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 050.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 046.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  90.1 KB

I could not get in front of them because it was too open but They were just behind the tank dam and I made my stalk behind and then up the dam.

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 040.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  81.9 KB

Once again I made a great stalk to the dam. Once on top, I realized that the BIG billy was too far away but there was a beautiful brown billy still close enough. I waited for him to turn quartered away and then stood up and took a shot. OMG - right over his back and I missed again. Goats-3, Bisch-0!

We spent the rest of the day walking around and looking for more goats but it ws not to be. This was an absolutely amazing hunt in a truely beautiful place. Even though I could not hit one I had a great time chasing them around and was really proud of my stalking ability. I don't get to hunt that way a lot. Anyway I have my red stag hunt still to come next week so maybe I got all the misses out of the way, for this trip anyway.

Clint and Roxanne, I cannot thank you enough for taking me into your house and showing me such great hospitality! If you guys ever come to Texas we will hunt together again, my friend. And if I ever get back there, a Cape York pig hunt is on the list!

Oh yeah, remember back in my first post where I said I had earned a new title? I almost forgot to let you all in on that one.

I am now known as:

"THE WORST GOAT HUNTER IN THE WORLD"

G'day mates and I'll check in again after the red deer hunt.

Bisch
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Calhoun County

Keep the stories and pics rolling in as you have them. I'll be following this one
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Bisch
Pope & Young

Here are a few more random pics from my weekend:

A little scenery

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 032.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 060.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  54.6 KB

Aussie mail boxes

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 058.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  91.8 KB

"The Goat Cave" - Clint said he had actually shot a goat licking minerals from the walls inside this cave once.

Name:  3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 028.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  87.2 KB

Last edited by Bisch; 03-26-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
fishycatfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch & Mason Counties

Awesome! Can't wait to read about the Red Stag hunt.
fishycatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Those are some realy cool pics!!! I'm looking forward to more coming soon.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
marceco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas , Kansas , & Oklahoma

How Long are you going to be here ? I am in The Hills just outside Brisbane
marceco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #17
DoubleB20
Six Point

What an awesome experience. Good luck with your red stag hunt.
DoubleB20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #18
Green
Eight Point

Thanks for the update Jerry. Looks like you're getting the stalking part down....now just get that shooting thing workin' for ya! Lol. Good luck on the Red Stag hunt.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
bountyhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: My little piece of heaven near Zavalla

Keep after'em Bisch and good luck with the Stag!!!!
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
BOBSTER
Six Point

Thanks for sharing your story Bisch. Sorry about the goats getting the better of you. Cannot wait for the Red Stag hunt story.
Bob
BOBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
Night Wing
Ten Point

Great report with great photos.
Night Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Bisch,

Sounds like you're having a blast. Good luck with the Stag hunt, an "ole goat" should have no trouble with shooting a Stag I'm laughing with you and not at you, your hunt sounds amazingly like my first Javelina hunt. I emptied a quiver and did not collect my Javelina until a later date. GOOD LUCK!!!
caughtandhobble is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Bisch
Pope & Young

Sent you a PM, marceco.

I went out to eat dinner with my sister tonight. We had a pork & possum appetizer, a crcodile appetizer, and a kangaroo filet for the main course. The croc was a little different but the rest was really good. I would rate the roo filet as exceptional.

Even with the misses this has been a GREAT time so far. I have made some great new friends and seen some awesome country.

See ya later,

Bisch
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
DoubleGArchery
Ten Point

Way to go Jerry, sounds like your having a great time. Sorry you didn't get any goats.
DoubleGArchery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Great story.
stinkbelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Knox counties

great write up good luck on the rest of your hunt.
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #27
Ron
Pope & Young

Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado

Great story Bisch. I think you have to kill goats with wood arrows, it has to be a rule somewhere. Thanks for posting.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #28
10-Ring
Spike

Hunt In: The Woods

Looks like a great time out there! Beautiful country too. Have fun and be safe, Bisch.
10-Ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #29
SMOOTHboar
Ten Point

Hunt In: I get in where I fit in

If your gonna miss... That's the way to do it! Miss with style and pictures. I can't wait to read more. Have fun and keep after em.
SMOOTHboar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #30
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Gotta luv it!!! Great stufff as usual sir!!!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Ol Man
Ten Point

Get Em Bisch - I have confidence in ya!!! I know ya didn't want to dirty up any arrows on them nasty, stinky goats anyhow!
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #32
meangene1969
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wichita / Wilbarger County

Great story.
meangene1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
garfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

Great stories and pix. Keep 'em coming.
garfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #34
muley4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rockies, West Texas, Panhandle

nice story I'm followling along!
muley4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #35
jreyna920
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Can't wait for the new nickname
jreyna920 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
Trick
Ten Point

Great read and pics Bisch! Keep em coming.

Matt
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: No lease

Great read
Sorry you missed the goats Jerry
Just means that you'll be hitting the Stag
Good luck

Ron
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
bubinga
Ten Point

Great read. Sounds like a blast. Those goats are lucky, cuz we know how good you normally shoot.
bubinga is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #39
trad"Doc"53
Pope & Young

Hunt In: None at Present

Great story and pics Bisch!! That country looks like it would be a beautiful place to live and hunt! The Stags don't have a chance!! Stay safe and keep the up-dates coming!
trad"Doc"53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #40
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Wow! It's gotta be against the law for anybody to have that much fun
Good luck and send more pics
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #41
bob sarrels
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tilden, Tex and where ever

Sounds like you are having a great time Jerry. Keep it up.
bob sarrels is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #42
dmaxshawn
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Florida, Texas, Nebraska

Good story Bisch!!
dmaxshawn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
furboom
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere invited.

Sounds like a great time! Can't wait for more. Standing-by
furboom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #44
jmark100
Ten Point

Great read
jmark100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #45
duke-86
Six Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Great story's and pic's have fun and be safe
duke-86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #46
Blue Tick
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crockett Co

Keep it up.....looks like a great time!
Blue Tick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #47
bmactx67
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado,Grapevine,Raymondville, and all points in between

Looks awesome!!! One of these days.....
bmactx67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
fletcherfor2
Ten Point

Jerry,

I've figured out your problem in missing the goats. It's due to the Coriolis Effect (caused by the spinning rotation of the Earth) and the fact the you are now in the Southern Hemisphere.

"This force causes moving objects on the surface of the Earth to veer to the right (with respect to the direction of travel) in the northern hemisphere, and to the left in the southern. Rather than flowing directly from areas of high pressure to low pressure, as they would on a non-rotating planet, winds and currents tend to flow to the right of this direction north of the equator, and to the left of this direction south of it."

All you need to do is refletch your arrows with the opposite wing feathers. If you're shooting left wing, change them to right wing (or visa versa). I hope this helps.

Obviously I'm kidding...sounds like your having a blast...keep it up.

Dusty

Last edited by fletcherfor2; 03-26-2012 at 11:17 AM.
fletcherfor2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Great read, following along.
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #50
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Great read Jerry. Now I want to see a red stag LDP! Good luck!
gtsticker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top