Cooler/Camp question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler/Camp question?

First happy hunting to everyone who is able to get out opening weekend. Unfortunately due to work it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to my stand.

My question is about the size of cooler to keep a deer in after you harvest it. Would like to know what your setup is for these first warmer days. Here are my questions...

What kind/size of cooler due you keep your deer in after you process it at camp? Also do you quarter your deer, debone, or just put it in the cooler whole?
    Lastly do you just pack the cooler with ice on top of game, set game on top of ice?

Our camp is about a 3 hour drive from home and was wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks in Advance for you Time and Knowledge,
    Rusto

Illegal to process any farther than quarters until you get home, so no deboning.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
      Illegal to process any farther than quarters until you get home, so no deboning.
      Not always true- In some cases a Walk In Cooler can be considered a 'Final Destination'. It's isn't super clear cut, I have a thread about it somewhere.

Comment

You can debone, you just can separate the meat past quarter. Bone in doesn't define it as quarter

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          Not always true- In some cases a Walk In Cooler can be considered a 'Final Destination'. It's isn't super clear cut, I have a thread about it somewhere.
          True, but in 99% of cases you can't go past quartering.

Comment

True, but in 99% of cases you can't go past quartering.
            If you have an appropriate walk in cooler and record book, you can (I think)

Here is that thread I'm talking about:

Comment

110 Quart Igloo Cooler Opposite Drain end, Quartered, Packed with Ice and Propped up to allow Blood and water to drain.

Comment

Quarter and throw on ice. Unless there's a walk in around, just use a big white igloo. 120 qt maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                  110 Quart Igloo Cooler Opposite Drain end, Quartered, Packed with Ice and Propped up to allow Blood and water to drain.
                  X2

The laws on deboning can be a bit confusing. We just quarter, pack in ice, and drain. It's actually good practice to bleed out the meat for a couple days regardless.

Comment

I'm not risking a ticket by deboning. I put in a 100 quart cooler and drain water for a few days until I get home. I like to leave meat on ice for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                      This is what I do. Quarter, get the back straps, tender loin and ice on top, drain opened. Sometiimes if I am in a hurry I quarter and ice the rib cage and all. Then finish at home.

Comment

Looks like your hunting the hill country (Edwards co) so in that case you can fit a deer in a 65 qt cooler if its quartered. Just pit it in with ice, keep it drained and your good to go.

Comment

I use a 120 igloo for the meat and a 145 Rtic to keep ice in and for back up space.

The Rtic does not run Ice fast enough for my liking.

Comment

I use a 70 brute box. Throw a bag of ice or 2 in the bottom them layer the quarters with more ice on top. Usually try and leave it in there for about a week. When I add ice I add it to the bottom first them some more on top. It will drain easier if not sitting on bottom of cooler, always leave the drain plug loose.

Comment

OP
                              large igloo
                              lots of ice and I try to keep it in the camper where the ac is blowing
                              if not possible keep it in the shade covered in a blanket

Comment

Working...
                              X