No disc food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No disc food plots

How many are using this method? Poison and shredding.
    I did it last year and had an awesome plot of wheat, triticale and oats
    The thatch keeps the moisture in the soil and I have been told the dead stalks get moisture into the ground.

Did it this year again. By the way, my plot with hog proof fence is the best money I ever spent on food plots.

I did something similar to this.

Im assuming you drilled your seed?

Comment

Yes a couple of times and it works well on a couple of other ranches I managed. I usually put the seed out then shred after to cover seed.
      Army worms hit my plots on Saturday this past weekend here.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
        Yes a couple of times and it works well on a couple of other ranches I managed. I usually put the seed out then shred after to cover seed.
        Army worms hit my plots on Saturday this past weekend here.
        How bad did the worms hit you? One of my customers in Poteet was wiped out over the weekend.
        I planted two weeks ago and just got sprouts showing and with this second cold front I sure hope the worms move on out.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          How bad did the worms hit you? One of my customers in Poteet was wiped out over the weekend.
          I planted two weeks ago and just got sprouts showing and with this second cold front I sure hope the worms move on out.
          I planted on 9-16 and it did not come up till 9-26 with good rains just before and after that. I found them on Sat afternoon but the wind was blowing to much to spray. They had hit about 1/3 of one plot and about 1/2 of another. I sprayed them on Sunday morning at about 8:30 while it was still a bit foggy but no wind. I expect them to show up again. I was around 46 this morning and upper 50's yesterday morning, so I am hoping they move out also.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
            How many are using this method? Poison and shredding.
            I did it last year and had an awesome plot of wheat, triticale and oats
            The thatch keeps the moisture in the soil and I have been told the dead stalks get moisture into the ground.

Did it this year again. By the way, my plot with hog proof fence is the best money I ever spent on food plots.
            I tried it for the first time this year. Spread my oats and wheat, then mowed what was left of my IC peas as close as I could. The hogs ate nearly all the seed so I had to disc and reseed. I don't think it will work for me.

Comment

I did it this year! Got no rain but I am very happy so far. Then I grain drilled the seed. Good rain expected this weekend.

Disking I got way too many spring weeds in the plot so not disking anymore

I got a lot of hogs, and they haven't rooted any of my plots

Comment

I assume you use a drill for this type of planting? If you don't have a drill can you broadcast and still get good seed to soil contact?

Comment

Want to do this, but no till drills are not cheap. Only way to do it with consistent results IMO.

Comment

I would love a no-till drill, but we bought a disk and broadcaster for less than 1/5th of the price. I agree that no-till is the way to go for any limited moisture areas.

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
                      I assume you use a drill for this type of planting? If you don't have a drill can you broadcast and still get good seed to soil contact?
                      Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
                      Want to do this, but no till drills are not cheap. Only way to do it with consistent results IMO.
                      Rented one to plant 6-7 one acre plots. $50 a day!

Comment

If you don't have a drill all is not lost.

I tried to improvise. I sprayed the grass, when it was completely dead, I lightly plowed with my ATV plow, spread my seeds and lightly plowed again to kinda cover it up...to say Im pleased is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Rented one to plant 6-7 one acre plots. $50 a day!
                          Did you rent from a feed/grain store or an equipment place?

Comment

This year I bought a new boomless sprayer with a pto pump and sprayed 8% Gly on all my fields. I sprayed and waited a week and sprayed again. I did a double dose to ensure a complete kill.
                            I have found out that hogs love nut grass, wild onion and johnson grass roots and will destroy a field over night rooting it. You cannot kill nutgrass if you shred then spray, it must be at full height and then sprayed. The poison is soaked thru the leaves and eventually makes it way to the "nuts".
                            So two weeks later I applied fertilizer then disc . I did not shred at all this year, just broke the ground about 4 inches deep and planted. I also used a seed roller and packed the seed and dirt together.

Comment

[ATTACH]877779[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]877780[/ATTACH]

I tried out a cultipacker and it did not do so well in my soil type as it would push the dirt up at times and not roll. So I bought this roller and rebuilt it and added a drag in front of the roller to cover seed. It works real good
                              Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X