X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ATTACH]890018[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
      If we assume agreement with the merits of keeping pit bulls outside of the city limits, (I realize this is a very big IF) the practical possibility of making this happen would be very difficult.

First, the identification of the animals and setting standards of a bannable percentage of mixes involved would be, at best, very tricky -- maybe impossible to legislate at even a municipal level, much less statewide or nationwide.

Like many things, the answer may lie in insurance stipulations. They are private and can impose fees or determine exclusions based on the real-world facts in front of them. This is a slippery slope, however, as it can extend to many things deemed inherently dangerous -- such as trampolines. Wait, they already address those dastardly bouncing bone breakers. (Insert tongue-in-cheek icon.)

The most practical means to address the issue of pit bulls among us is probably education, peer discussion, maybe public service campaigns. What we're doing in this thread counts as all of these, I would say. Any action by pit owners has to be voluntary, for the most part. I don't see a movement to "ban the breed" by some legislative means passing or even being effective if it did pass.

Well I disagree with some of your post. Many cities and municipalities have installed a legal ban on "pittbulls". Last count it was over 900, not including one of our little towns in my rural parish that had about 500 people living there.
      And pittbull owners fought it tooth and nail, so I doubt pittbull owners anywhere will Voluntarily police their own ranks. I can't find a case of it happening without them being forced to address it.
      As for enforcing a ban, it can be done legally if a ban is law. Once an owner is sited and fined, it becomes very real. If they own a Pitt that attacks someone in these ban areas, it becomes a crime they are arrested for, and it then becomes an example to others. In my parish, that's what it took to convey the seriousness of the law. After a rash of pittbull attacks, a ban was voted in. Pittbull owners laughed at it until the arrests started with the next attack. Now there hasn't been an attack in 2 years since the ban.
      As for breed identification, it's been defined in courts involving fatalities. It doesn't have to be a "registered" Pitt. It's defined by characteristics. Just as any other breed, Pitts have a "standardized criteria". Spaniels, German Shepherds, hounds, all exhibit distinctions that can be identified through breed standards accepted through registries.
      And as you said, education is key to understanding the issue. Emotional rants don't help either side. Personal responsibility should be paramount in any discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        [ATTACH]890018[/ATTACH]
        OMG! She killed and ate a whole deer except for one antler! [emoji23][emoji23]

Pretty dog.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
          Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed

There are 300,000 registered poodles in the US. It's estimated there are a 4 million poodle crossBreeds. Not one fatality.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
            Well I disagree with some of your post. Many cities and municipalities have installed a legal ban on "pittbulls". Last count it was over 900, not including one of our little towns in my rural parish that had about 500 people living there.
            And pittbull owners fought it tooth and nail, so I doubt pittbull owners anywhere will Voluntarily police their own ranks. I can't find a case of it happening without them being forced to address it.
            As for enforcing a ban, it can be done legally if a ban is law. Once an owner is sited and fined, it becomes very real. If they own a Pitt that attacks someone in these ban areas, it becomes a crime they are arrested for, and it then becomes an example to others. In my parish, that's what it took to convey the seriousness of the law. After a rash of pittbull attacks, a ban was voted in. Pittbull owners laughed at it until the arrests started with the next attack. Now there hasn't been an attack in 2 years since the ban.
            As for breed identification, it's been defined in courts involving fatalities. It doesn't have to be a "registered" Pitt. It's defined by characteristics. Just as any other breed, Pitts have a "standardized criteria". Spaniels, German Shepherds, hounds, all exhibit distinctions that can be identified through breed standards accepted through registries.
            And as you said, education is key to understanding the issue. Emotional rants don't help either side. Personal responsibility should be paramount in any discussion.
            Thanks for clarifying the issue with a few facts versus my spit-balling conjecture. As you illustrate, legal remedies are most readily enacted at the local level. One does wonder how many "rashes" of pit bull attacks need to occur to spark more widespread action? Begging the question, how many people have to be maimed or killed in these attacks before more decisive solutions are implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              Thanks for clarifying the issue with a few facts versus my spit-balling conjecture. As you illustrate, legal remedies are most readily enacted at the local level. One does wonder how many "rashes" of pit bull attacks need to occur to spark more widespread action? Begging the question, how many people have to be maimed or killed in these attacks before more decisive solutions are implemented?

In the case near me, it was 7 attacks on other dogs that resulted in dead pets. All occurred on the property in which those dead dogs lived. There were 3 incidences of aggressive encounters that ended with people killing a pittbull in their yard. In a small town, that was enough to push people to vote for the ban. It coincided with an incident up north in which a child was killed walking down a sidewalk by 2 pittbulls, so that was brought up as a potential possibility. If you had told me 5 years ago there would ever be a ban on a dog breed in this area of redneck cultural conservatism, I would have laughed at you. If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Im personal friends with a veterinarian, in the hill country, who is also a dog bite investigator for the state. He has been doing that job for 25+ years.. The stories he can tell you about Pitts and Rotwielers attacks, and the things he has witnessed, will give you goose bumps.. Chows aren't to be taken lightly either...

My opinion about these breeds should be obvious but my opinion doesn't matter. They are legal and probably always will be but I'm sure if Trump owned one the libs would be trying to get them irraticated... Hmmm..

But those poodles???? Straight up MAN EATERS.
                Chows are crazy. Had one in college that attacked my room mates Rotty...he kept going back for more. My chow even challenged me for alpha once...kicked him in the ribs and he never did it again. I’ll never own a chow again, gonna stick with Goldens.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                  Hmm, well, I would bet if the thug would own the poodle and the upscale socialite would own the pit, then things might be reversed

There are plenty of cases where pits owned my non thugs killed or attacked people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The thing that worries me is people think they have a nice pit.

If one is old enough or been around dogs enough they understand that dogs can change in the blink of an eye after years of being the perfect dog. In the case of pits that once that change happens it may be too late.

Dogs are animals. They don't have as much control as you may think. And a person never knows what may set the dog off like a time bomb.

Comment

I'm not biased against the breed itself. Every breed of dog had or had it's place in society. Pit Bulls and bulldogs were bred to literally disarm bulls in pit fights. They have huge heads and strong jaws because they would lock onto the bull's nose and hold on. Many modern bulldog breeds were bred for hunting (boars, etc.). So YES, the dogs were indeed bred to fight. YES, many pit bulls make wonderful pets and gentle companions. BUT I don't like that pit bull "advocates" blindly market the breed as the "nanny dog." It's a fighting breed. That should always be taken into account when socializing and training a pit bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Banned in my country so the decision us made for us!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JPHunting View Post
                          Banned in my country so the decision us made for us!

I'll ask...were there a number of attacks? A public outcry?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
                            I'll ask...were there a number of attacks? A public outcry?
                            There were a few attacks, but to be honest it was more a thing the government wanted to do regardless of what the people want. Our government does that a bit.

Comment

I've seen a spoiled, trained Pit nearly tear the off of a grown man because he was playing ...

They are animals at the end of the day. The way he was raised had nothing to do with it.

Ive seen labs and poodles go crazy and the damage is nowhere near the same.

Comment

Pit bulls

This week, I see on FB that 2 Pitts killed or chewed the faces off 15 calves in western grove ark. I have people up there, so I asked about it. It’s 35 animals now from 2 pets owned by a man that claims they “wouldn’t do that” because they live in his house with his family, and are nice, so he lets them run free in the area. Pictures, neighbors, all eyewitnesses that have seen them in action, and he still won’t believe it, and says if anyone shoots them, he will kill them and burn their houses. I use this as an example of how some pitt owners react when confronted with reality that they refuse to believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X