• Time
  • Show
Clear All

That deer isn't young. I think he is 7.5+

Comment

Middle-aged

Comment

Comment

Wow, widely scattered input from the GS, and for obvious reasons. My 2 cents, I don't see enough loose flabby skin under his chin to call him old, and his head looks too pointy to me, not thick wedge shaped. Also, since 2015 and '16 were good rainfall years, I usually wouldn't expect that big of an increase in antlers on a real old deer. So, eliminating the run down old deer possibility and going strictly on '16 photo, I'd call him 3.5. But I don't see 2.5 in '15 photo, although white antlers makes me want to, so I guees I'd settle with 4.5.

Don't suppose you know what he looked like in '14? If you first saw him, or first took notice of him, in '15, that would add some validity to the crazy chance he was only 2.5 last year.

I'd let him walk.

Comment

I get 3.5 on him.

Comment

any pre rut pictures?

Comment

He looked young and first....now I think he is older

Comment

Hard to judge buy I'd bet he's older than you'd think. My buddy just killed a management buck on our place which we had known was at least 4.5, he ended up being 7.5 plus and his body looked alot like this deer here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                    any pre rut pictures?
                    I have pre rut pictures on one of my sd cards but I think it must be in a camera I haven't checked in awhile because I have been looking everywhere for it. He first hit my radar in '14 and I deleted those pictures. I started saving a picture of every buck I have seen out there last year. In '14 he looked like he had milk on his lips in my opinion. When I saw him in person last year I swore he was 3.5. I'm now more confused than ever on how to age a deer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GtownBowhunter View Post
                      I have pre rut pictures on one of my sd cards but I think it must be in a camera I haven't checked in awhile because I have been looking everywhere for it. He first hit my radar in '14 and I deleted those pictures. I started saving a picture of every buck I have seen out there last year. In '14 he looked like he had milk on his lips in my opinion. When I saw him in person last year I swore he was 3.5. I'm now more confused than ever on how to age a deer lol.
                      Gtown, if you know it was him in '14 and thought he was 1.5, and not swollen up in '15 though 3.5, and looks 3.5 (to me) now, then I think you have your answer.

The hard part is believing a deer of that age having that antler size. So, try this, I know it sounds silly, and at risk of ridicule from the GS, but take a sticky note, hand draw a little 8 pt rack at the bottom of it, then with photo pulled up on computer, stick it on your computer screen over the the deer's antlers, and then see how old you think he looks. Because we humans are so visually oriented, it's hard to mentally remove/alter something our eyes tells us it sees, especially after it's been programmed for what's possible and not possible. I'll bet he'll look convincingly young (3.5). I know it sounds stupid, but just try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                        Gtown, if you know it was him in '14 and thought he was 1.5, and not swollen up in '15 though 3.5, and looks 3.5 (to me) now, then I think you have your answer.

The hard part is believing a deer of that age having that antler size. So, try this, I know it sounds silly, and at risk of ridicule from the GS, but take a sticky note, hand draw a little 8 pt rack at the bottom of it, then with photo pulled up on computer, stick it on your computer screen over the the deer's antlers, and then see how old you think he looks. Because we humans are so visually oriented, it's hard to mentally remove/alter something our eyes tells us it sees, especially after it's been programmed for what's possible and not possible. I'll bet he'll look convincingly young (3.5). I know it sounds stupid, but just try it.
                        95% sure it was him in '14, also there was a high fence place less than a mile away that had some deer get out a few years ago. I'm sure I will be ridiculed for saying this but I'm thinking it's possible he is off that place and just now starting to blossom at 3.5 or 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          6.5 plus. I would bet anything I own that deer is older than 3.5 or 4.5. I would say his best years are behind him and to take him now.
                          This is not a deer I would pass hoping he will b better next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Listen to this guy! Shoot him now, he is past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBINHOOD11 View Post
                            Listen to this guy! Shoot him now, he is past his prime.
                            I'm just having a hard time believing he gained 25 inches of bone from last year to this year and now he is past his prime.

Comment

HA! This is trashy and looks like a deer from The Simpsons. My comical, elementary attempt at making a point. If this was his antler size, few would be calling him over the hill...although many would recommend culling. And, no, I don't know how to use Photoshop. Too old for that.

Comment

Good post. Hard to say how old he is. The sinks in his forehead are a subtle clue though. Im gonna call him 6.

Comment

Working...
                                X