Better lucky than good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better lucky than good

Much to my sleepy bodies dismay I headed north about 4am to our little place in the pines. I elected to hunt a lean up stand where my wife has been seeing some "big bucks" from a cattle panel blind.

Day break broke and several does began to feed in a food plot to my west. About 840 I could see tines moving through the trees and struggled to make out this deer. He appeared to be an 8 but I couldn't see how much of an 8. I grunted off and on for the better part of 20 minutes and watches him walk into the woods.

9am rolled by and I decided I would sit till 10 and go take a nap. At about 930 two yearling came to the corn and nervously fed at 20 yards. After about 10 minutes they both threw their heads up and look behind them to the South.

I didn't want to turn too fast because of how close they were so I creeped my neck over my left shoulder. TINES!! In an old Lane cut by the fire department when our place caught fire several years ago. This buck was trotting and had no intention of stopping by. For some reason he veered left 90 degrees and was heading straight to me.

As he got closer I could see just how good this Buck was. And realized it was a buck I had not seen on camera all year. He stepped into a little road about 30 yards and turned again. He was about to head directly away from me now. I looked at my single pin HHA and realized that was rolled 25 yards

I had no time to move to 30 which is what I guessed him at and came to full draw. I figured he would duck a little being at that distance so I raised about 2/3 of the way up his body figuring I could Kentucky windage an arrow into him.

He got the standard TV meh and I cut it loose. I watched the arrow travel and realized it was gonna be lower than I wanted. Although he immediately stumbled and took off favoring his front left shoulder. Those two yearlings were still standing there trying to realize what had just happened.

I climbed down and went to the spot and found one broken black eagle carnivore that was about 8" short. I immediately began to get nervous. I figured he needed some time I went back to camp and watch some TV till about 11.

After some price is right i eased my way back over there and begin to take up his Trail which after about 20 yards got to be great. It appeared there was no reason to wait. 75 yards later (all down hill) a white belly was staring at me along the creek.

Thanked the Lord and began to wish I wasn't solo. Pretty sure he's gonna stretch the tape a little further than a buck I shot not 15 from the same spot several years ago

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Quackerbox; 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM.

Cool deer, and story.

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Congrats that is a nice buck!

Comment

Way to get it done Shane. Good buck!

But, why'd you pull off in the ditch? lol

Comment

Very nice congrats!

Comment

Congrats! That’s a stud for sure!

Comment

Awesome! Great job. Happy for ya.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Very nice, congrats?

What broadhead? That’s a very healthy blood trail there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Nice story, congrats

Comment

Nice buck. You done good. Thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

great story and pictures, thank you for sharing

Comment

My word that is a big deer. Congrats on a "BIGGUN"!!!

Comment

That's what I'm Talkin bout!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X