Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McMullen Ranch Thread

Originally posted by Patton View Post
    All caught up in this thread and looking forward to keeping up with the incredible progress. Y’all are onto something good, Hunter
    Thanks Patton. I am pumped about the future. 5-10-15 years from now could be pretty incredible.

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
    One of my friends from College posted a video of them setting up a DMP. Watching that helicopter zip around was crazy awesome!

some beautiful animals you have and that 12 is an amazing animal! Love his look!
    Thank you. It’s awesome watching them hanging out of that chopper.

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
    Good for ya'll, That buck will do!! He's Super nice

Yep

Thanks. He was our 2nd choice but probably the deer we would of targeted next year anyways. This way we will hopefully just target the big 12 next year. Not a big deal that we couldn’t get him but just amazed he could lie low like he did. We were worried he was dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice deer Tildenhunter.

Comment

What is the plan after a year in the DMP pen, are they going to be released back into the wild, or are they going to breed for the rest of their days?

I like both of your Top 2 Targets... Good Choices!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
          Very nice deer Tildenhunter.
          Thank You

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
          What is the plan after a year in the DMP pen, are they going to be released back into the wild, or are they going to breed for the rest of their days?

I like both of your Top 2 Targets... Good Choices!!!
          No, they will be released in March and let them have their babies out on the ranch. Then next year we will start all over again. Try and catch 20 mature does (some will be the same ones and some will be different) and hopefully the big typical 12 pt and let him get after his 20 new girlfriends.......that is the game plan anyways. This way you only have to have deer in a pen for 4 months or so and get the benefit of your best bucks tagging 20 does each year as opposed to 3-4 out on the ranch.

Comment

Not a whole lot to report on the rest of the season. All in, I think we killed 2 bucks and 15 does. Both bucks were management deer. My dad has started burning portions of the ranch.

He found a few older sheds while burning.

Buck from 2016 that should be 5.5 next season.

Comment

Tell your dad Good job, Gonna be nice and pretty after the first rain.

Comment

Looking good, that burned grass will make it easier to see those rattlesnakes in a few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                  Tell your dad Good job, Gonna be nice and pretty after the first rain.

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                  Looking good, that burned grass will make it easier to see those rattlesnakes in a few weeks!

There wasn’t enough grass to burn the areas we truly wanted to. Not enough fuel. Oh well, guess some is better then none.

Comment

Couple of sheds. Matched set is this year. Other 2 are from last season but just picked up.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post

Heck yeah, man. You got some good blood on that place.

Comment

That last shed is crazy impressive.

Any rain since the burn?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                              That last shed is crazy impressive.

Any rain since the burn?

Rwc
                              No rain........really haven't had any measurable precipitation this year! That being said, the burned areas are getting hammered by deer. Just with the dew and humidity there are new forbes pushing up. Just need to start catching a shower consistently.

That shed rough scored at 105". Bigger then we thought. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 215" total! Already looking forward to next year.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful deer. The typical 12 is one of the most awesome I have see. If I had deer anything to what you have, my friends would not be allowed to even know what county I was in. I can only imagine the excuses I would get from them. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X