Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
rfroese
Four Point

Default Solar Panels w/ Cell Cameras

So I am about to set up a 12v system for my Spypoint cell cam. I have had really good luck with mine other than the fact that the batteries last about 2-3 weeks max.

My question is, could I put lithium rechargeable batteries inside the camera, hook the solar panel directly to the camera and run it that way? Or do I have to go to a 12v battery with a solar panel?

I have both, I just thought it would be much easier to mount using the solar panel directly linked to the camera.
rfroese is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I use rechargeable AAs with no added 12v with my Covert cam and solar panel. Works great. Buddy on my lease has a couple Stealth Cams and does the same with no problems.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Spartan battery box, 10w panel, and 12v battery.

All I will ever use.

I run 7 of them and a few for close to 2 years no issues
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

StealthCam use the 12v battery box but StealthCam told me not to put AA batteries in at same time. One or the other. Said it will drain fast if you use both at same time.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-31-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
ATXRaider83
Four Point

Hunt In: Blackwell, Tx

Curious to know how it works out for you. I'm in the same boat. My spypoint gets about 2 to 3 weeks. Usually when I see a picture with a battery at 30 percent I know I'm not going to get much else out of it. I'm going hardcore....took one of the deep cycles off my boat and going to hook it up to that this weekend. I'm going nuclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfroese View Post
So I am about to set up a 12v system for my Spypoint cell cam. I have had really good luck with mine other than the fact that the batteries last about 2-3 weeks max.

My question is, could I put lithium rechargeable batteries inside the camera, hook the solar panel directly to the camera and run it that way? Or do I have to go to a 12v battery with a solar panel?

I have both, I just thought it would be much easier to mount using the solar panel directly linked to the camera.
ATXRaider83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Solar panel and rechargeable batteries in my coverts. I have a couple 12V setups but they are not necessary.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I have been running a Spypoint Micro with this set up for 2 months and I still have 100% battery life.

10W panel off of amazon $22
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charge controller off of amazon $11
Attached Images

ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
roughneck266
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bustling metropolis of Votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfroese View Post

Been using HME 12VBBSLR's for a couple years. Setup works well, but you will need some adapters. The Spypoint 12VDC port is 5.5X2.1MM and the HME is 5.5X2.5MM. Doesn't sound like much, and you CAN make them work without it but you will constantly be fighting to keep contact so it will stay working.
This is the battery with solar panel:
https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-H.../dp/B06X3X939W
And these are the adapters:

TO be honest, the home made set up above is probably the best way to go, if you don't have the skills or want to, then these work fine.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top