Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX
Default Paying College Football Players:Good or Bad?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/29/ncaa...es-images.html

Thoughts? I've always thought the free $100k-$250k was plenty enough along with everything else they already get. At the end of the day, it's a choice to play and get a free education. Seems like a very very slippery slope. Cash flow and college football have never gone well together. WAY too much greed and corruption.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Gonna be a real chit show. Don't agree.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Bad...... nuff said
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Pandora's box has been opened.

Do I agree they should be compensated? Sure
Is there a good way to do it where it wont be abused or cause major issues? Nope
So whats the best way to handle it? Avoid the catastrophe and not pay them.

Unless they rule a flat fee for them some how I just don't see how they handle it...
Then you'll have the other sports and women sports chirping up wanting fair pay to the football players...

Good freaking luck lol

Last edited by 150class; 10-29-2019 at 04:35 PM.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Young kids + big money = dumpster fire.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Pandora's box has been opened.

Do I agree they should be compensated? Sure
Is there a good way to do it where it wont be abused or cause major issues? Nope
So whats the best way to handle it? Not pay them.

Unless they rule a flat fee for them some how I just don't see how they handle it...
Then you'll have the other sports and women sports chirping up wanting fair pay to the football players...

Good freaking luck lol
Exactly my thoughts. Wait til the Title Nine folks get started on this. And to someone else's point, they are getting compensated.....a free education. I think people have forgotten the cost and value of this.
Those that act like a free ride is not enough are probably not the same folks that put themselves through college and paid or are still paying back the loans.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-29-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I'm sure all the good ones already ge paid.
In the past I said they deserve a cut. But I think not now. School is expensive as hell and if they choose to graduate and they recieved a full ride that's probably 150k ....and that's plenty
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I'm sure all the good ones already ge paid.
In the past I said they deserve a cut. But I think not now. School is expensive as hell and if they choose to graduate and they recieved a full ride that's probably 150k ....and that's plenty
A education being this much is a joke also but that is another thread in itself.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
A education being this much is a joke also but that is another thread in itself.
Yea it sucks that it cost that much but that's the world we live in. SMU/TCU more like $250k+ said and done. SMU tuition alone is $50,358 a year...not including room/board/books/meals etc.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-29-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #10
PROLINE19
Four Point

Hunt In: Jones county

bad idea
PROLINE19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

Great idea.....

Pay them all....all 72 genders and all sports...
Let the revenue dictate how much
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #12
TxBowHntr
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Wait til the Title Nine folks get started on this. And to someone else's point, they are getting compensated.....a free education. I think people have forgotten the cost and value of this.
Those that act like it's nothing probably are not the same folks that put themselves though college and paid or are still paying back the loans.
I think the reason some people feel the players should be paid is the crazy amount of money the schools are making. The kids playing the game are making the schools and the NCAA BILLIONS of $$$ and they are using the players talents, likenesses, etc... You are right, but take the University of Texas football program generated $100.1 million profit for the 2016-2017 athletic season. That already factors in the approx. $3 million in scholarships a year... So the school gets $100.1 million, and the kids who helped make the $ get $50K worth of education. Seems a bit one sided

I don't know the right answer as I feel giving these kids lots of $ is asking for trouble, but what about when they get out of school? Maybe there is a pension style plan where the school invests it for the athletes and then gives it to them upon graduation. I don't know, but alot of people are making filthy amounts of $...
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I'm torn on this as I have never seen what all they actually get. I know the education which as others have said may be enough. I know there are other things they get as well. For example my ex-BIL was a student manager for the UT baseball team and basically got treated like a player. He said he never paid for soap, deodorant, toothpaste, etc in 4 years as it was provided in the locker room and taken home whether they were supposed to or not. However, if you are poor how do you pay for clothes (I know a lot gets provided), outside food (again, a lot provided), getting to and from the school itself (say a Dallas kid that goes to UT), etc. There are life expenses that I'm sure aren't covered. I know they get a stipend or something like that but I always thought it would be fair to pay them (say minimum wage or adjusted wage for cost of living in different places) for their time which would include mandatory practice, games, film study etc. It wouldn't be excessive but it would help buy a pizza every so often. I don't agree with large sums of money, performance based (Vince would have been paid more than the dribbling Nordgren, etc.), etc.

Last edited by cehorn; 10-29-2019 at 04:59 PM.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #14
Big Red 82
Ten Point

I roomed with the QB. we each had a sprinkler head we had to check weekly on practice field. I was a tight end i got a 250.00 check weekly he recieved 500. Its happening. And been happening.
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
44mAG
Ten Point

The problem this will create is the "Hey son, if you come play for team X, I will give you $50,000 to star in our company commercial".

I know this has been happening, but now the above will be completely "clean".
44mAG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBowHntr View Post
I think the reason some people feel the players should be paid is the crazy amount of money the schools are making. The kids playing the game are making the schools and the NCAA BILLIONS of $$$ and they are using the players talents, likenesses, etc... You are right, but take the University of Texas football program generated $100.1 million profit for the 2016-2017 athletic season. That already factors in the approx. $3 million in scholarships a year... So the school gets $100.1 million, and the kids who helped make the $ get $50K worth of education. Seems a bit one sided

I don't know the right answer as I feel giving these kids lots of $ is asking for trouble, but what about when they get out of school? Maybe there is a pension style plan where the school invests it for the athletes and then gives it to them upon graduation. I don't know, but a lot of people are making filthy amounts of $...
But don't forget that revenue is also the life blood of the Whole athletic department. Without football revenue, there would be no other men's or women's programs bc 99% of them lose money. Facility builds and improvements aren't cheap. No telling the monthly bills that all athletic programs together generate each month at a given University. Bet it cost $100k just to turn on the stadium lights for a football game at UT.

In theory they're 18-22 years old and getting paid $50k a year to play a sport they love and get to learn at a University that most would not have been able to get into w/o financial help or in general.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-29-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #17
TxBowHntr
Six Point

I re-read the article and missed where it stated players were allowed to profit off their name, image, or likeness. This is different than the school is going to pay them to play. Basically, some student athletes become celebrities, and will now have the ability to capitalize on that.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #18
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
The problem this will create is the "Hey son, if you come play for team X, I will give you $50,000 to star in our company commercial".

I know this has been happening, but now the above will be completely "clean".
Agree. Of course it's happened/happening but now the flood gates are being opened wide. Lot of gray area.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Just heard that a Senator is going to introduce legislation that will make scholarships and all benefits student athletes receive as taxable income, if said stupid profits of image . So kids are going to be taxed on “ phantom” income. Pandora’s box already chomping at the bit
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #20
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

This will be the beginning of the end.

Something no one ever includes in the value of that scholarship, is exposure. How much is that exposure of playing every saturday worth?

If you don't think the education is worth a ****, then it's probably because you are one of the elite who expect to play in the NFL. If you are, and you don't think the university should make money on you in the mean time....then don't go to college. Just train and stay in shape until you are elligible for the NFL draft and put your name in the hat! Won't work you say? They won't draft you as high as if you'd played 3 years, you say??? That, right there, is hard evidence of immense value.

If you are not an NFL level talent, or don't have those aspirations, then a hell of an education should be more than enough "payment".
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #21
TxBowHntr
Six Point

Quote:
But don't forget that revenue is also the life blood of the Whole athletic department. Without football revenue, there would be no other men's or women's programs bc 99% of them lose money. Facility builds and improvements aren't cheap. No telling the monthly bills that all athletic programs together generate each month at a given University. Bet it cost $100k just to turn on the stadium lights for a football game at UT.

In theory they're 18-22 years old and getting paid $50k a year to play a sport they love and get to learn at a University that most would not have been able to get into w/o financial help.
You are right. If all the schools did to profit was sell admission to the games and the food/drink, as well as promoting the team, that is different. The schools are pushing players into these celebrity statuses and making $ off of it. Look at Johnny Manziel. He was hyped and marketed like a product. I don't know the right answer to this, but schools are making a lot of money of the individual.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:

In theory they're 18-22 years old and getting paid $50k a year to play a sport they love and get to learn at a University that most would not have been able to get into w/o financial help or in general.
What ever happened to the good ol days when kids tried and worked hard JUST so they could get a college scholarship?
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #23
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Just heard that a Senator is going to introduce legislation that will make scholarships and all benefits student athletes receive as taxable income, if said stupid profits of image . So kids are going to be taxed on “ phantom” income. Pandora’s box already chomping at the bit
Why should they not pay taxes on it? Name something anyone gets as a gift that's not taxed.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #24
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
You are right. If all the schools did to profit was sell admission to the games and the food/drink, as well as promoting the team, that is different. The schools are pushing players into these celebrity statuses and making $ off of it. Look at Johnny Manziel. He was hyped and marketed like a product. I don't know the right answer to this, but schools are making a lot of money of the individual.
Maybe you should rethink the value of the exposure and platform that the kids are getting and not look at it solely as the school generating money. That exposure is literally priceless. Being good is also a big part but i bet ole Johnny Football enjoyed every bit of it and put him in a position to make millions at the next level. Not arguing with you just looking at it from all perspectives.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-29-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #25
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Bad, if they’re good enough to get paid they are probably already getting a free education
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #26
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

They are going to school free and hopefully graduating with a degree so they can be a productive citizen of society. There is no doubt they are being paid behind the scenes already. Been happening forever. Just opening a can of worms if you start paying college athletes, don't forget the cheerleaders and of course the band, water boy, trainer, and on and on, They can go pro after 2 years and make all they want.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #27
150class
Pope & Young

Also if they do pay them then the kids get to pay for the "education" from their income lol
No double dipping.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #28
JHT
Pope & Young

The "anything" research students will be chomping at the bit if this really happens.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #29
TxBowHntr
Six Point

I had to read it twice, but the article isn't saying the schools will pay the players, it is saying the players will be "allowed to profit...". I think it means they can sign endorsement deals, etc... which they cannot do now, and keep their eligibility. I don't think it means they will be paid to play.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
Stuck
Ten Point

Pretty sure most people know the top guys are already paid pretty well. I was in a bar probably over 25yrs ago when my buddy had to run outside to give a dad $25k. Kid ended up not even going to his school and never heard of this superstar when he got to college, apparently he wasn’t that good. You let kids get paid for their image and there will only be a handful of schools ever competing again for a national championship.
Stuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #31
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Bad, bad in all aspects. They are getting paid, some way more than others and under the table. Been going on for decades! Lots of money and the Top 10 will stay that way forever. Boosters just hit the Mother Lode for the Bluebloods! CFB will never be the same!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #32
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
I had to read it twice, but the article isn't saying the schools will pay the players, it is saying the players will be "allowed to profit...". I think it means they can sign endorsement deals, etc... which they cannot do now, and keep their eligibility. I don't think it means they will be paid to play.

It’s the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #33
MikeyG
Ten Point

I’m willing to bet the extra money they “earn” will ruin more athletes lives and careers than help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top