Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #51
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

It was not so much hunting perse in 83 but I was working in College Station in between semesters. I get a knock at my door and it is a girl I work with wanting to know if she could stay with me because her heat was out and her toilets froze over. Let's just say it never was very cold in my apt those days...

I've always wondered if her story was true or not. Mattered to me not!
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #52
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Don't really remember the freeze in 83, I know it got very cold back then a few times. I do remember it freezing pretty badly around 87-89 a few times. I remember there were at least two freezes where nobody was on the road, the roads were all iced up bad. So I had to go out driving on the ice for the fun of it, was not that bad, hard to see out the windshield it would ice up quickly even with the defrost on.

The coldest I remember it getting in Texas, was some time in the late 70s, I am pretty sure. I know we had a pretty new 78 Bronco at the time. It got down to 8 degrees one night we were hunting outside of Tilden. All of the water pipes for the ranchers stock tanks broke, there were large ice fountains all over the place. We were sleeping in a pop up Skamper that night, with the windows all unzipped when we went to sleep, because it was hot in December. Then we all woke up in the middle of the night, because it had gotten cold, so we zipped up the windows, then turned on the Coleman stove, that did not help much. We got in the Bronco with the engine running and the heater on. Then found some little restaurant, general store that opened up around 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning we went inside to warm up.
They had a thermometer, that's how we found out it was 8 degrees. I remember that place bought hides or pelts, they had prices listed for about every critter I could think of, on a board. After seeing what they paid for coyote pelts, I wanted to go coyote hunting.
I remember it got very cold back in the 80s, might have been around 83, where I got so cold, me jeans froze to my legs, I got frost bite on my legs, face and ears sitting in a blind, one morning. That had to have been around 83, I was somewhere around 12 to 14 when that happened. We had no idea how cold it was, just that it was **** cold. We had no thermometer out there. I remember when they finally picked me up from the blind and I got in the truck, they had the heater on, it stung badly, I had to get out of the truck and get in the bed, it was too hot in the cab of the truck, my skin was stinging, burning.

Then another time years later, probably around 91 or 92. The last guys we took hunting. I picked them up from the air port, took them to the ranch outside of Boerne. During the winter, it would typically be 14 degrees colder up on top of the hill, that was most of the ranch, than it was in Boerne. That day, the road going up to the ranch, was covered in ice. I got about 1/3 of the way up and the truck started slowing down, almost stopped. So I pressed the brakes. I planned to stop, get out of the truck and lock it in 4X4, but it started sliding down the road backwards. I could not stop the truck. The two guys in the truck got scared. Luckily we finally slid off the road, to the inside of a curve and not the outside of that curve. I decided to try giving it some throttle and see if I could heat the rear tires. I had them spinning with no problem, eventually we had smoke coming off of the tires. Then eventually, when I gave it a bit more throttle, we got more smoke and the truck started going up hill. So I boiled the tires most of the way up the hill. The two guys that I was taking hunting kept saying we can turn around and go back, we don't have to go hunting today. There really was no place to safely turn around on that hill. We made it to the top of the hill, got to the ranch and went hunting. I was told to find them one doe apiece and that was all. Normally out there, that would have taken all of 10 minutes to get to where the deer were from the front gate. But that day, there were almost no deer moving. We finally found one doe, normally they were in groups of three to five, but we found one by her self.
Neither guy had ever shot a deer before. The guy up first, had a Remington 7600 in 270. Took him for ever to find the doe in his scope and finally pull the trigger. I had my 7mm Mag on the doe, if she took as much as one step from where she stood when he shot, I was going to drop her. I did not want to do any tracking that day. Well he finally shot, shocked the crap out of me. Looked like he shot a ice statue of a doe. Ice exploded everywhere and the doe dropped dead on the spot. Not sure she was not frozen solid, she stood there for a good 10 minutes without moving at all, before he shot.
I had no idea it was going to be so cold that day. I had on blue jeans, short sleeve shirt and a blue jean jacket.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #53
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Some one was talking about having a heater in a blind and someone said it never gets cold enough in Texas, well that got me to thinking about the Christmas freezes of 1983 ( I spent 10 straight days in Freer tx , temperature never above 16F no water or electricity) the bay’s all frozen
Then it got worse in 89 , while duck hunting the bay was frozen, every stock tank , and lake froze deep into Mexico , it was cold cold like around 0-fer “ I guess some of the younger guys don’t remember the cold weather “
I remember '89, we had to go chop holes in the ice on the stock tanks so cattle could drink, you could ice skate on them no problem it was crazy for down here.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #54
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I remember the freeze of 83' I was hunting in Bryan/College Station and the duck Sloughs were all frozen over. I had shot a doe that evening and couldn't wait to gut her and stick my hands in her warm guts to warm them. To the young guys "We did not have the warm hunting clothing we do now".
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #55
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Alt key and 0176.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #56
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
I remember '89, we had to go chop holes in the ice on the stock tanks so cattle could drink, you could ice skate on them no problem it was crazy for down here.
Iv'e done this many times in Mills county. Finally figured out to take the tractor with a front end bucket to break the ice.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #57
crowmagnum
Eight Point

83 Storm hunting in Roberts co.
crowmagnum is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #58
T-roy66
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I remember 83 I was at my dads place on Sam Rayburn when my brother called and said I needed to get to his place on north Toledo he said ducks were everywhere. The next morning I was at his place. It was one of those days where we only shot green head mallards. Worst part of the hunt was on about my third retrieve I tore a hole in my cheap stocking foot waders. When we finished hunting I had ice formed on my wool socks.
Then in 89 I duck hunted Dam B ice covered all of the lake. We broke ice out of a small spot with the boat and killed A limit.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #59
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

One more. Sometime around 86 to 88, maybe as late as 89. There were at least two freezes, where it got down in the teens and lower 20s for about four days. After about two or three days, the fish had all either died or moved into deeper holes and channels. Well we kept getting told that Conn Brown harbor was crazy. So we went to Conn Brown, one night that first night might have been as early as 85, I don't think any of us had our driver's licenses at that point. I think my step father dropped us off around 10:00 PM and picked us up around 2:00 AM. It was cold enough there was ice on the water, it was only about 1/2" or so thick, but there was ice on salt water in south Texas. That was a first for me.
We fished, till we ran out of bait, then figured out, it did not matter what we threw in the water, there were so many reds packed in that channel that night, that anything we threw in there, that would fall at least 3 ft. down, they would hit on. We caught so many reds that night it was crazy. I think we only brought home maybe 10 to 12, between the three of us, but we probably caught 50 or more.

A year later, when I had my driver's license and my first truck. It froze and got down in the teens and lower 20s for multiple days in a row again. So we went back to Conn Brown Harbor. It was basically the same thing all over, except that when we got there. There was some crazy guy going off of the point of the harbor, then wading out about thirty to forty yards and casting out into the deep water off of the point. There is a boat ramp in that spot now, but not back then. We watched that crazy guy pull one huge red after another out of the water, then had his kids hauling the fish back to shore. All of them wading through that cold water with ice on the surface. I have never seen red fish that big in my life. I am guessing they were all over 40". I would bet one was over 50".
So after seeing that, we decided what the hell, they are doing it, lets go for it. So we waded out there, wearing boots or tennis shoes. Waded up to as deep as we could tolerate, then started casting out. I remember every time a boat went by and made a wake, we would all be yelling. The wake would splash our crotches, man that hurt like hell. But we caught some big reds. We really did not have the tackle for fish that large, so we lost all of the really big fish we hooked. It was crazy, but fun. I wound not do that for any amount of money today. I remember after we got out of the water, you would get about 10 steps, then you could hear ice crunching with every step, because the ice in your shoes had frozen already.
The last time a couple years ago, they had a good freeze down there, TPW shut down all fishing in the channels. I guess it was a good thing, but I think it's something everyone should get to experience at least once. Possibly only allow catch and release. The fishing is crazy in the deep channels, when it gets that cold for numerous days.
RifleBowPistol is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #60
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Growing up in the Panhandle, busting ice was pretty much a daily chore in the winter every year.

In '83 it never got above 32 degrees for about 35 days straight. It snowed a lot. The cotton fields were full of snow drifts that wouldn't melt. It was March before we were able to finish stripping cotton. It made for a lot of coyote hunting that winter. Hides were bringing $70-80. Skinned a BUNCH of them while we couldn't do much else on the farm.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 11:20 PM   #61
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I remember the freeze of 83. Dad and I hunted on the ground. He had me all bundled up and wrapped in a blanket like an Eskimo.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 11:51 PM   #62
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
One more. Sometime around 86 to 88, maybe as late as 89. There were at least two freezes, where it got down in the teens and lower 20s for about four days. After about two or three days, the fish had all either died or moved into deeper holes and channels. Well we kept getting told that Conn Brown harbor was crazy. So we went to Conn Brown, one night that first night might have been as early as 85, I don't think any of us had our driver's licenses at that point. I think my step father dropped us off around 10:00 PM and picked us up around 2:00 AM. It was cold enough there was ice on the water, it was only about 1/2" or so thick, but there was ice on salt water in south Texas. That was a first for me.
We fished, till we ran out of bait, then figured out, it did not matter what we threw in the water, there were so many reds packed in that channel that night, that anything we threw in there, that would fall at least 3 ft. down, they would hit on. We caught so many reds that night it was crazy. I think we only brought home maybe 10 to 12, between the three of us, but we probably caught 50 or more.

A year later, when I had my driver's license and my first truck. It froze and got down in the teens and lower 20s for multiple days in a row again. So we went back to Conn Brown Harbor. It was basically the same thing all over, except that when we got there. There was some crazy guy going off of the point of the harbor, then wading out about thirty to forty yards and casting out into the deep water off of the point. There is a boat ramp in that spot now, but not back then. We watched that crazy guy pull one huge red after another out of the water, then had his kids hauling the fish back to shore. All of them wading through that cold water with ice on the surface. I have never seen red fish that big in my life. I am guessing they were all over 40". I would bet one was over 50".
So after seeing that, we decided what the hell, they are doing it, lets go for it. So we waded out there, wearing boots or tennis shoes. Waded up to as deep as we could tolerate, then started casting out. I remember every time a boat went by and made a wake, we would all be yelling. The wake would splash our crotches, man that hurt like hell. But we caught some big reds. We really did not have the tackle for fish that large, so we lost all of the really big fish we hooked. It was crazy, but fun. I wound not do that for any amount of money today. I remember after we got out of the water, you would get about 10 steps, then you could hear ice crunching with every step, because the ice in your shoes had frozen already.
The last time a couple years ago, they had a good freeze down there, TPW shut down all fishing in the channels. I guess it was a good thing, but I think it's something everyone should get to experience at least once. Possibly only allow catch and release. The fishing is crazy in the deep channels, when it gets that cold for numerous days.
Yep I caught 10 speckled trout over 30 inches in the port Mansfield turn basin during the 89 freeze in about 2 hours! now TP&W has it all protected during cold weather events !!!
I probably could have sunk the boat picking up frozen specks on the shore line south west of town
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 PM   #63
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

yes sir, worked and hunted both of them.

83 went dove hunting Jan 3. -4 degrees. Dove were in every cedar tree it seemed, but they flew straight away from it and I only got one shot. Lasted about 2 hours. at work we had to build "tents" over our MOVs on the pipeline so they'd open/close.

89 busting ice on Richland Chambers lake to duck hunt. Last about 3 hours in ice cold water up to the waist.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #64
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

5-6 years ago I never left gate of our lease for 7 days. I was alone for 5 days. The high was 19. The wind didn't blow much which makes it doable up around the Red River. The best 7 days I think I ever spent out there.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #65
kkp005
Eight Point

Hunt In: Madison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Maybe some folks don't realize there's a lot of Texas north of I-10 too - every year.
I know that’s right. Coldest I’ve ever been in my life was on a rig floor in Wheeler. Ain’t nothing between there and Canada to block the wind except barbed wire!
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #66
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Old post about 1983 from here
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...A-6EmLafCWDyJH
Attached Images

Last edited by pilar; 10-26-2019 at 12:53 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 03:23 AM   #67
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

I hunted in Falfurrias in 89. Slept in a old 1979 van shell for two days and that's about all I could stand. Didn't see a thing in those two days. We had a tall 16' 4X4 blind that sat on a doubled 2X4 stand. It was pretty western up there on a calm day, but on that day a big branch from a bull mesquite froze, broke off and landed on the guy wire and about brought me and the blind down. That's when we figured that we probably shouldnt be out there.

Last edited by Muddy Bud; 10-26-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #68
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

my hometown hunting grounds from the cold snap of 1983

In an unfortunate 11-day period from Dec. 15 through Dec. 25, 1983, Minot citizens endured an average overnight low of 29 degrees below zero. Four all-time record lows were set minus 31 on Dec. 19, minus 30 Dec. 22, minus 36 Dec. 23 and minus 28 on Christmas Eve.
Those are the official lows published by the National Weather Service in Bismarck. However, the NWS also has records showing it was even colder minus 33 on Dec. 19, and minus 39 Dec. 23 and 24, 1983. According to the NWS, those temperatures were reported from a location listed in their records only as “north of Minot.” The NWS official temperature readings are taken at the Minot International Airport.
Still, no matter which sub-zero readings are most accurate, the 11-day stretch in Dec. 1983 remains one of the coldest periods in state history. On three of those days, Dec. 22 through 24, the daytime high did not reach above minus 20.
A headline in the Dec. 19, 1983 edition of The Minot Daily News read: “Frigid Front Stalls Over The Nation’s Heartland.” Indeed, the thermometer plunged to minus 40 that night in Williston. An astounding 30 cities engulfed by the cold front set record low temperatures. Of course, North Dakota bore the brunt of the wicked front. Fives times in 11 days the overnight low surpassed minus 30.
The forecast for the state at the time included words like “bitter” and “dangerous” and warned of wind chills of 50 to 80 below zero. An oft repeated saying by native North Dakotans is “30 below keeps the riffraff out,” but 30 below proved to be equally tough on sturdy residents who thought they had experienced it all before when it came to cold weather. The 11 astonishingly cold days in Dec. 1983 pushed people to the limit.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 03:49 AM   #69
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

In 83, only thing I can remember is the radiator on my car froze solid. Took me all day to get it thawed out, then hoping the block didn't crack out.
89, I just don't remember that one.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #70
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

1983 Nope. Still in high school chasing girls..

1989 Nope. Working for DOW chemical and watching water pipes and valves, salt water and fresh water, large and small, bust, crack and split in record numbers.. It was a sight to see.. What freaking mess that was.. If you didn't have a 4 wheel drive your weren't leaving the house..

The 89 fish kill here on the coast was UNREAL!!!!!!! Dead by the millions..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 10-26-2019 at 06:58 AM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #71
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I remember the 89 one!! One of the best duck hunts I've ever been on. Sat in a 14' boat in the middle of a little lake hiding behind a Christmas tree we were glad we hadn't tossed out yet shooting birds point blank for about 2 minutes till it was over on the only open stretch of water for miles I bet. It was about 20yds across. Had to break ice with a sledgehammer for the first 100yds till it was thin enough the boat broke it. Drank coffee watching birds work for an hour after that! Will never forget that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #72
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

I was chasing ducks and geese. Some good hunts were had.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #73
79F250
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
I can’t remember anything significant enough back in ‘83 or ‘89 to mention so I must have either not hunted or was just a HELLUVA lot tougher back then.

I do, however, vividly recall the ice storm in December ‘13 while hunting a lease southeast of Big Lake. The storm rolled in and every power line in the area was affected. I don’t think it got above 15-16 degrees while we were there. We tried to stay with it for a few days without electricity but after a local lineman for the electric company told us it would be a week to 10 days before power would be restored....we had enough and headed home. It was COLD....darn COLD. The ice had built up ridiculously thick all over the ranch. Trees were stretched down-broken up and blocking all the roads. I remember the cattle panels around the feeders having about 2” of ice on them. It was a sight to see....and COLD! I’m too **** old to be out in that crap nowadays. Did I mention it was COLD?

We drove from San Angelo to elephant mountain (Alpine) right after that. 67 was a pretty easy drive because we were the first person to drive the road so the ice wasn’t compact. Soon as we hit I-10 boy did it get sketchy.
79F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #74
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I was in Matagorda for both the 83 and 89 freeze. In 83 I walked out a long way on ice on the south shoreline of East Matagorda Bay. The north wind blew water up on the ice and froze it thicker and thicker until it was 6-8" thick and it buckled the ice all down the shoreline so you had to climb over a big ridge of waist high ice to get onto the bay ice. I was down there the following week to see all the dead fish, and it was something to see.

In 89 I took my dad duck hunting in the marsh along beach road. My dad isn't a hunter and somehow I talked him into going duck hunting with me. It was so cold my decoys iced up. Only time I have ever had them ice up like that in saltwater. The ducks poured in and we knocked out a pile of ducks, mainly greenwings, and got the heck out of there. He never went duck hunting with me again after that. It was beyond miserable. The roads iced up by the time we headed home and we slipped and slided all the way back to Bay City. By the time we got home we had a couple pipe burst under our house and I spent several hours digging under the house and fixing burst pipes laying on my back in icey water. It was pretty bad.
Coastal Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #75
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

A friend died last night. He and I hunted the 83 freeze 2.5 hours north of Austin. Threw 2 decoys on a frozen pond and limited 2 mornings in a row. Only thing that did not freeze was whiskey. Had to go to town for a glass of water.

He was a hard core Texan that took zero crap. His great grandfather and mother were Maw & Paw Ferguson. He had some stories...............
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #76
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
my hometown hunting grounds from the cold snap of 1983

In an unfortunate 11-day period from Dec. 15 through Dec. 25, 1983, Minot citizens endured an average overnight low of 29 degrees below zero. Four all-time record lows were set minus 31 on Dec. 19, minus 30 Dec. 22, minus 36 Dec. 23 and minus 28 on Christmas Eve.
Those are the official lows published by the National Weather Service in Bismarck. However, the NWS also has records showing it was even colder minus 33 on Dec. 19, and minus 39 Dec. 23 and 24, 1983. According to the NWS, those temperatures were reported from a location listed in their records only as “north of Minot.” The NWS official temperature readings are taken at the Minot International Airport.
Still, no matter which sub-zero readings are most accurate, the 11-day stretch in Dec. 1983 remains one of the coldest periods in state history. On three of those days, Dec. 22 through 24, the daytime high did not reach above minus 20.
A headline in the Dec. 19, 1983 edition of The Minot Daily News read: “Frigid Front Stalls Over The Nation’s Heartland.” Indeed, the thermometer plunged to minus 40 that night in Williston. An astounding 30 cities engulfed by the cold front set record low temperatures. Of course, North Dakota bore the brunt of the wicked front. Fives times in 11 days the overnight low surpassed minus 30.
The forecast for the state at the time included words like “bitter” and “dangerous” and warned of wind chills of 50 to 80 below zero. An oft repeated saying by native North Dakotans is “30 below keeps the riffraff out,” but 30 below proved to be equally tough on sturdy residents who thought they had experienced it all before when it came to cold weather. The 11 astonishingly cold days in Dec. 1983 pushed people to the limit.
That's some serious cold.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #77
engnman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Whitney

At the firehouse in 89,bank sign said 5 degrees.We had 4 working house fires from 7pm to 7am that night.COLD and wet.
engnman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top