Tyler State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyler State Park

Who has gone and how's the fishing? Taking my boys on their first camping trip this weekend and I want to do it right. I got soured milo cooking, a minnow trap, worms and artificial for daddy, [emoji16]! Y'all know of any good spots to go hit up or things to do? Any help/advice is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend and his wife that camp there often. Don't think they fish, but I'll try to remember to ask in the morning.

Comment

Tagged. This is one of the state parks I want to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Pretty good park. Lake is not very big, couple of piers to fish off of. Crappie should be starting to bite I would think. Which area are you in? Make sure to put ALL food up coons are thick there!!! And I mean they are not shy when comes sundown and they start looking for food!!!

Comment

Tyler is a big/little kayak/paddle board lake. The park is usually way overcrowded for us. It is a pretty place to stay and the lake is very clear. But usually the warmer it gets, Saturdays are crazy busy out there. If you can get out there during the week you are going to be better off, and try to get a lakeside campsite before they fill up for bank fishing.

Comment

We did get a lakeside campsite. So bank fishing for blue gills/bass/crappie/cats is good out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, this is one of my favorite camp grounds. Fish off the island by the boat ramp for some good blue gills. Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Really a pretty place to camp. We went in January and they'd just dumped trout to catch, but I know a fella who caught a 14lb share-a-lunker out there a few years ago. I've never heard of folks catfishing out there

Comment

Many years ago I tent camped with my daughter at the tail end of the lake. I caught a 6 lb bass on an artificial frog. Other than that I don't have much experience on a regular basis. Neat place & decent mountain bike trails as well

Comment

Great park!!
                    Go to Circle M ( Craw Fish Shack) in Big Sandy for some good sea food and coooold beer.

Comment

The water's real clear. We've only fished it for trout in the winter a few times but always do good on other species in the cove by the boat ramp and round by the swim beach off that point there. If you have a boat trolling a rainbow trout swimbait would be a good idea. I would toss a roadrunner or a mepps spinner on light line or bream fish around some of the laydowns. The fishing pier in the cove on the end of the dam has about 50 christmas trees sunk on the end of it. Good luck! It's a cool park.

Comment

Check your weather. Worst part would be having to show your boys how to evacuate a campsite in a downpour storm. I know we may have some stuff move through. Other then that, hope ya'll get on LOTS of fish.

Comment

If things get slow you might want to try catching some blue gills. Throw some small pieces of bread out around one of the piers, or along the bank and they will start a feeding frenzy. Makes them easy and fun to catch with ultralites, or kid rigs. The little kids don't care how big a fish is as long as they are catching something they are pretty happy.

Comment

Originally posted by DNTRanch View Post
                            Pretty good park. Lake is not very big, couple of piers to fish off of. Crappie should be starting to bite I would think. Which area are you in? Make sure to put ALL food up coons are thick there!!! And I mean they are not shy when comes sundown and they start looking for food!!!
                            Make sure all food is locked up in vehicle or camper. Also make sure not to leave a trash bag with anything that resembles food out because you WILL have a mess to clean up come morning time. DNT is absolutely correct, they are not shy and there are a bunch of them.

Comment

I went out there about 3 weeks ago. Use zoom trick worms wacky style and minnows if you can get some. Water is very clear. If you have polarized sunglasses you can see like 10ft on one of the piers. I heard at night on the pier that floats the trout will eat under the lights. I don't know if the water is still cold enough for trout.

I caught several bass out of there and my father in-law almost broke a state record for warmouth. He caught 10" and record is 10.5". It was a big ole perch.

About 10 years ago I caught a 7lb bass and 8lb bass on zoom trick worms with a 1/4 ounce work weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X