Crazy story about a neck shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy story about a neck shot

First of all, I am fully aware of the negative outcomes of trying a neck shot. So if you are here to talk trash about taking that kind of shot, be on your way.

I’m hunting with my son for extended doe and spike season. This will be my last weekend to hunt. Yesterday evening, three bucks came out, two spikes and an 8. We watched them for a while and I asked my son if I should take one of the spikes and he said yes. So I found the bigger of the two, waited till he was broad side and took a beautiful neck shot. The other spike took off, and the 8 was trying to figure out what just happened(I’m hunting suppressed), the one I shot hit the dirt. He was laid over, bleeding, head on the ground and back legs seizing. I watched him through the scope for about 30 seconds, then I fist bumped my son. Fast forward about 5-6 mins. He jumped up and fell over, but completely twisted on the ground. No good placement for a second shot. So I watched him through my scope for another several minutes, with a huge pile of blood under him. Then the dude just sits up like nothing happened! I sent another one towards his neck, thought I heard the smack. But as my rifle sits back down from recoil, I see him get up and do this zombie shuffle into the woods. I sent another round, but totally missed. I couldn’t believe this happened. How did I miss that second shot? Gave him about 20 mins, then we looked. He was piled up about 10’ passes where I couldn’t see anymore. Turns out, I didn’t miss that second neck shot These animals amaze me with their will to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I neck shoot when possible..................

Comment

That is pretty crazy! Good table scraps!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        I neck shoot when possible..................

I haven’t shot a deer in the body in years. It’s all about taking time and making the shot, I believe. I know my rifles and I know my abilities. If I can’t shoot in the head/neck, I don’t shoot. I hunt on my own 60 acre place and don’t want to chase them across the fence. Well placed shot=DRT

Comment

That’s crazy and good shooting. Looks like a good one to take

Comment

That’ll eat! Congrats! I’m sure either of those would have put him down for good. I usually try to hit them closer to the shoulder at the base of the neck and further up into the middle part of that area. Nine times outs ten that results in broken neck and DRT.

Comment

I’ve got a similar story on a doe involving 3 shots in a grouping like yours to the same area of the neck. I’ve changed my aim point to the white patch below the chin which has had better results. Congrats on the table fare!

Comment

That's interesting. What bullet you shootin?

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

I’ve started shooting a ballistic tip bullet. They are awesome. Neck shots almost takes their heads off.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                    That's interesting. What bullet you shootin?

.....and God Bless America.

Winchester silver tips in 308. My rifle seems to like them.

Comment

Why start a thread like this if you don’t want to be questioned about the ethics of taking a neck shot?

Comment

I’m a fan of neck shots, I think you were just a touch low only connecting with muscle/artery. I think like mentioned above, aim for the white patch or just at the base of the skull and go for spinal cord, night night.
                        Last edited by JES; 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                          Why start a thread like this if you don’t want to be questioned about the ethics of taking a neck shot?

I knew it.......[emoji849]

Comment

My dad had the exact same scenario this year. He shot a buck in the neck, dropped him and about 5 mins later he zombied his way into the woods. I actually started a tracking dog thread over it. 2 weeks later he put a round through his shoulder. Here’s the neck wound he found. Tuff creatures

Comment

Neck shot was .223 hornady superformance
                              25-06 finished the job

Comment

Working...
                              X