Clear All

Awesome! Congrats

Comment

Outstanding
      Congrats

Comment

very nice

Comment

Ok sorry for the long wait but I drove back 9 hours yesterday...

So let me start off by saying that I bow hunted while on this trip and had every intention of trying to stick one with an arrow (brought the boom stick just in case).

Day 1: I sat next to two corn circles near a fence line. Had a few herds cross 1000 yards out in front of me throughout the morning but nothing on my side. Fast forward to about 11am and I glass a solo buck about 800 yards out so knowing that my guide was gonna come soon to get me for lunch I decided to get a little aggressive. I walked across to the other cordon circle or the side closest to the buck and started waving my doe decoy in the air. The buck is about 600 yards from me now and I see him turn in my direction and start looking (game on!). About that time my guide texts me and I’m like “don’t come yet!”. I walk a little farther down now keep in mind I’m hidden somewhat by the corn behind me (remember this for later). So I walk down some more waving and the buck starts working towards me. Picture doe decoy on the front of my bow. Now he’s at 400 and I stop and just stand there. He stops and feeds so I wave a little more and here he comes! I kneel down range him then knock an arrow. He stops again at 150 yards! I’m shaking at this point. We have a stand off. He starts moving my way now slowly feeding but working towards me. I’m 30 yards from the fence line and I can’t move. The buck walks directly toward me and stops. I range him - 100 yards! It’s a stand off for about 10 minutes! After another minute or two he slowly turns and starts walking off. I was stuck - he was on the wrong side of the fence but what a rush as I watched him slowly walk out of my life.

Sorry for the teaser... be back later with the rest of the story.

G.
          Last edited by gneimeth; 10-06-2018, 07:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
            Ok sorry for the long wait but I drove back 9 hours yesterday...

So let me start off by saying that I bow hunted while on this trip and had every intention of trying to stick one with an arrow (brought the boom stick just in case).

Day 1: I sat next to two corn circles near a fence line. Had a few herds cross 1000 yards out in front of me throughout the morning but nothing on my side. Fast forward to about 11am and I glass a solo buck about 800 yards out so knowing that my guide was gonna come soon to get me for lunch I decided to get a little aggressive. I walked across to the other cordon circle or the side closest to the buck and started waving my doe decoy in the air. The buck is about 600 yards from me now and I see him turn in my direction and start looking (game on!). About that time my guide texts me and I’m like “don’t come yet!”. I walk a little farther down now keep in mind I’m hidden somewhat by the corn behind me (remember this for later). So I walk down some more waving and the buck starts working towards me. Picture doe decoy on the front of my bow. Now he’s at 400 and I stop and just stand there. He stops and feeds so I wave a little more and here he comes! I kneel down range him then knock an arrow. He stops again at 150 yards! I’m shaking at this point. We have a stand off. He starts moving my way now slowly feeding but working towards me. I’m 30 yards from the fence line and I can’t move. The buck walks directly toward me and stops. I range him - 100 yards! It’s a stand off for about 10 minutes! After another minute or two he slowly turns and starts walking off. I was stuck - he was on the wrong side of the fence but what a rush as I watched him slowly walk out of my life.

Sorry for the teaser... be back later with the rest of the story.

G.

REALLY!

And don't say you're sorry. You don't mean it.

Nice teaser

Comment

Day #2

Got the boom stick out and we chase the speed goats all day. Let me tell you the most important lesson I learned on day 2: I’m a great bench shooter 300-400 yards. BUT it’s a whole different ball game when you have to jump out/throw a bag out to get a rest and try to get dialed in for a shot in 10 seconds, AND everything speeds up because by day 6 of the season those dudes are in another county before you can say “****it!”

So the moral of the story is 1) I’m a terrible shot with a rifle under pressure and 2) practicing from a bench or prone on the ground is not enough...

Comment

Day #3 or otherwise known as the 4th qtr with the 2 minute warning!

So I got dropped back off between the two corn circles where I started. I had my bow and my boom stick along with a decoy out in front of me. At about 8am the light is good and I start glassing. I immediately spot “white” and see a buck and 2 does out about 600 yards from me up on a small ridge. I watch them for a few minutes and notice that they are working back to my Right. The first day I was there the herds I saw all moved from right to left. For whatever reason I remembered that there was a bowl around to the right over the hill from me and if they don’t go over the ridge they may wind up by the fence line? I grab my rifle and take off in in a sprint and run to the other corn circle and get up to about 4 rows in from the edge and run straight down where I think they are going. I can see through the corn but they can’t see me. I stop and glass them and they are at 400 yards still working towards the fence line. I also see the rest of the herd, about 20 does and another young buck. I take off again and get towards the edge of the corn field and go prone crawling out to the edge. They are at 200 yards now and close to the fence line. They work a little farther down and JACKPOT! They start going under the fence. I range them at 300 yards and I reposition myself (crawling). They have no idea that I’m there. The herd buck is nosing the does and getting them to go - he’s the last one to cross under the fence and when he gets up, he walks about 10 yards and stops. I adjust my elevation 4 clicks and work to get a good site picture. He turns just a little, I breathe out and BOOM! I knew it was a good hit instantly. He ran about 10 yards and instantly drops. I can’t see him but all the does just stand there looking over in his direction. I was so excited I jump up and ran down to him. I was super pumped but what made it so incredible was that I made it all happen on my own and how it all played out.

I’ll never forget the experience ...

G.

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Nice! Congrats man.

Comment

Working...
                    X