• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoggslayer View Post
    always shoot the pig.
    x10. Always!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
      I shot a pig a few years ago with my rifle when he was about 40 yards from my feeder - DRT. A couple of deer coming from the same direction would not come to the feeder while the pig was piled up there.
      I will still shoot any pig that shows up (with my bow). But, if it dies nearby, I will go drag it away from the area.
      I agree that the smell (of death) doesn't affect the deer. The first buck I shot with my bow fell in his tracks at the feeder and was literally bleeding like a faucet was turned on. That afternoon, I had several deer feeding around the feeder oblivious (or not caring) about the blood spilled earlier.
      Thanks

Comment

Nope. Don't shoot pigs when I'm buck hunting Too hard to kill a big buck and too easy to kill a pig almost anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
          So I have been chasing a big buck and last weekend I shot a pig that ran 40 yards and died. Double lung shot and arrow stuck in ground right under feeder. 45minutes later big buck comes out but never comes in and acts like he knows what happened. So question is, do y’all shoot pigs and jeopardize a shot at a big deer? I have always shot if a pigs shows up but thinking sling shot now.
          Had this happen to me only buck showed up in evening (shot pig in morning)walked to where pig died and booked it. Shot him the next evening though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            Always Shoot the Pig.
            We, as hunters, owe it to civilization.

Comment

Always shoot the pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot the pig a little further back next time so he runs more than 40 yards lol. I say that after I dropped a big sow in her tracks last week, then had to deal with her in the rain and mud. I was hoping she would run off lol

Comment

One other thing to consider is a serious mature ol' wise buck may smell your arra with your scent on it too. Some deer have a higher tolerance for human smell than others... 2 things I do if I'm hunting deer and a pig shows up, if I can do it without seriously jeopardizing my deer hunt, I'll shoot the pig and if it dies close by, I retrieve the pig AND the arra if I can do so without having to stomp around and smell the place up too bad... If I can run the pig off by just letting it see me or something, I'll spook it... Year before last, I had a nice buck coming in every third day for 3 days straight between 9:30 and 9:45... I was in my pop up and a big ol' boar came in... finally after trying to just let him eat and move on, I spooked him with a light cough and wave of the hand out my blind window... that was 9:20... 9:32, the buck came in and I killed him... You just never know...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    One other thing to consider is a serious mature ol' wise buck may smell your arra with your scent on it too. Some deer have a higher tolerance for human smell than others... 2 things I do if I'm hunting deer and a pig shows up, if I can do it without seriously jeopardizing my deer hunt, I'll shoot the pig and if it dies close by, I retrieve the pig AND the arra if I can do so without having to stomp around and smell the place up too bad... If I can run the pig off by just letting it see me or something, I'll spook it... Year before last, I had a nice buck coming in every third day for 3 days straight between 9:30 and 9:45... I was in my pop up and a big ol' boar came in... finally after trying to just let him eat and move on, I spooked him with a light cough and wave of the hand out my blind window... that was 9:20... 9:32, the buck came in and I killed him... You just never know...
                    Good point
                    I thought about throwing a hand out the window to spook him
                    We have already taken 5-6 in the last month or so. Trying to scare them into going nocturnal but no luck.

Comment

I hunted the other evening and had pigs under the feeder early but I have a decent buck coming around so I let them pass. Ended up no deer showed

Tonight I had pigs come in at 5:20 and hang around a little while but same thing. Waiting on a deer
                      Right at dark 2 bucks show up but stay out of range and it finally gets past legal time. Another group of pigs show up and deer leave keeping me from spooking deer when I climb down

I have time to kill pigs, if I kill a buck it will be instant war on pigs
                      And I will call in some buddies to help

Comment

Have had a target buck coming to a feeder religiously for 3 weeks. Morning and night. Buddy shoots a pig last night and the buck hasn’t been there in 2 days now. So I say no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't shoot if a deer was the target.

Some days I go pig hunting, some deer, some days whatever walks out is unlucky.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would much rather shoot the pig, any day.

Comment

Discreatly scare pig off. I usually will turn a flashlight on in blind and cover with my hand. Point towards pig. As soon as he looks I move my hand for a split second. He will not stay. He will run off. Turn around Nd look again, then walk fast away. Issue solved.

Comment

Shoot the pig or not

I say shoot the pig. The bow is quiet so if the deer are a little way off they won’t hear anything. I would leave the pig unless he died within 20 yds of the feeder. If I do pop out to retrieve him I’m going to take care to try and not to cross any usual deer ingress routes. My deer seem to always come from the same few directions/paths.

One caveat. If the hog expires nearby but is not in a normal travel path or is out of site I’ll leave him. Lots of tough decisions we hunters have to make. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X