Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Default Who won?

My wife, daughter and I went to the track to settle a couple of scores.
The wife was driving her junky 98 corvette and me in an 05 F250. My trap time comes on at the end of the track first, which usually indicates a win. Our time slip shows her at .02 sec faster. Who actually won?

https://youtu.be/79yeT_r6XuE
Attached Images

switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

The slip looks like she edged you out
mikeyb_23 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #3
JasonS
Four Point

who got there first???

LOL,
looking at slip, you did.
your reaction was quick enough to beat her slightly faster car.
Take the difference between yalls ET, 0.025.
Now look at reaction time, 0.76 vs 0.165. Subtract 0.025 from her reaction time, 0.14. That's how you beat her. you were 0.14 faster getting to the end of the track If yall had exact same reaction time, she would have won, since her time is overall faster.
I used to drag race a lot. hope this makes sense.
Reaction time is time it takes car to move after green goes on.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
The slip looks like she edged you out
I agree with what the slip says, but when I watched the video my trap time came up first.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
JasonS
Four Point

was bet who is fastest or who gets to the end first.
Take an 8 second car,and a 10 second car. If the 8 second car gives the 10 second car a 3sec head start, who would win??? By headstart, I mean green light goes on, and guy sets there for 3 secs. the 10 second car would win by 1 sec. Simliar concept with reaction time, she was sleeping at the tree.
ET is time from leaving to end mark. race is one by who gets there first, hence her reaction time cost her the win.
Her car was faster, but doesn't mean she made it to the end first. She needs to practice, get that 60ft down and her car will be at least 13.7-13.5.
angle of video makes it look like she smokes you, lol. race again, tell her to take off on last yellow and try not to boil the tires off, let it hook up.
The slip doesn't show who won, only times.

Last edited by JasonS; 10-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
who got there first???

LOL,
looking at slip, you did.
your reaction was quick enough to beat her slightly faster car.
Take the difference between yalls ET, 0.025.
Now look at reaction time, 0.76 vs 0.165. Subtract 0.025 from her reaction time, 0.14. That's how you beat her. you were 0.14 faster getting to the end of the track If yall had exact same reaction time, she would have won, since her time is overall faster.
I used to drag race a lot. hope this makes sense.
Reaction time is time it takes car to move after green goes on.
Just showed her your response. She ainít so happy now . Now she wants to go back next week. Guess the score ainít settled just yet.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
was bet who is fastest or who gets to the end first.
Take an 8 second car,and a 10 second car. If the 8 second car gives the 10 second car a 3sec head start, who would win??? the 10 second car.
ET is time from leaving to end mark. race is one by who gets there first, hence her reaction time cost her the win.
Her car was faster, but doesn't mean she made it to the end first. She needs to practice, get that 60ft down and her car will be at least 13.7-13.5.
angle of video makes it look like she smokes you, lol. race again, tell her to take off on last yellow and try not to boil the tires off, let it hook up.
The slip doesn't show who won, only times.
She did have a pass @ 13.8 with a rt .000 while she was warming up for her butt whoopin.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
JasonS
Four Point

tell her not to focus on beating you, lol. I think she got excited. the car is faster overall. You are beating her, not your truck. LOL, Sure this will go over well.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #9
Low Fence
Pope & Young

She was asleep at the tree. You can be slower and win
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I've never hit the drag strip before & a little spooked to go as I cannot really don't want find yet another hobby that turns into a $$$ disease...maybe after I get my fix on the road course which is really more of a goal & with the ZL1. Especially just watching the F1 COTA race!!

The strip is really more technical than I realized after spending some time on the camaro6 forum & explanations from the fellas that race regularly.

In 100% stock Some guys are trapping in the 130's in the low 11's & the 'faster' guys can hit the high 10's at a slower speed. Best I can tell it's that 60ft time that really dictates vehicles relatively equal in speed...or just say the driver.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
tell her not to focus on beating you, lol. I think she got excited. the car is faster overall. You are beating her, not your truck. LOL, Sure this will go over well.
I know this. I absolutely refuse to tell her though.

Itís all fun. It was her first time ever to race at the track. She is definitely hooked. She gave me the go ahead for cam, injectors, headers and a tuner for the Vette. She now has her sights set on beating this.

https://youtu.be/5qd1mvCYZ_E
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

This is frickin awesome. Cool as heck your wife is into this
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #13
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruppa24 View Post
This is frickin awesome. Cool as heck your wife is into this
And she hunts too.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #14
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchbackxt View Post
And she hunts too.

You got a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know this. I absolutely refuse to tell her though.

She gave me the go ahead for cam, injectors, headers and a tuner for the Vette.

https://youtu.be/5qd1mvCYZ_E
This is awesome, congratulations.

Is the 98 vette a 6.2?? If it's in the budget, you can likely find a very lightly used Eaton Blower at a good price that comes on the ZL1, CTS-V & Z06...bunch of track rats are taking their brand new cars & adding a larger one like the whipple. Here's a pick

The modding process is really crazy & some drag guys determined to get 1k at the tires!! I'm pretty happy with the stock HP but might be inclined to play after the wnty is out. You can't even add a CAI or catch can without a chance & kinda nice to know you can track a car & not worry about blowing a motor.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #16
switchbackxt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
This is awesome, congratulations.

Is the 98 vette a 6.2?? If it's in the budget, you can likely find a very lightly used Eaton Blower at a good price that comes on the ZL1, CTS-V & Z06...bunch of track rats are taking their brand new cars & adding a larger one like the whipple. Here's a pick

The modding process is really crazy & some drag guys determined to get 1k at the tires!! I'm pretty happy with the stock HP but might be inclined to play after the wnty is out. You can't even add a CAI or catch can without a chance & kinda nice to know you can track a car & not worry about blowing a motor.
My mechanic already talked to me about using super charger off of a CTS-V. we are just doing cam, injectors, headers, and tuner first. Who knows what may come next. She says she is even good with doing hood modifications. I see a transmission in the very near future.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #17
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
My mechanic already talked to me about using super charger off of a CTS-V. we are just doing cam, injectors, headers, and tuner first. Who knows what may come next. She says she is even good with doing hood modifications. I see a transmission in the very near future.
Very snazzy...you should keep us posted with pics of the progress. Does you mechanic have an idea would what the WHP will be with the current mod choices??

Good luck with the build & hope you don't run into any wallet sapping issues when they tear her down!! Was already curious about the tranny when you mentioned it.

Currently feel like I will keep this car long term & if modded down the road, they would be similar to your current choices. Unless GM can make a future rod with better looks & equal HP improvements than I can do modding, seems like it may be better $$$ spent. Having said that, gotta say it would be hard to not bite on a Camaro with the LT5 engine & have a track car with warranty. When the new 19 vette ZR1 was introduced most all the Camaro owners on the forum said GM would never put their flagship power plant in another model, but if they are offering it as a crate engine now?? Willing to bet it will happen on a gen7 ZL1 & Definitely would need a whole new design as there is no way the hood is going to clear.

Check out the lines of this Chevelle they used to debut the crate offering. Would be neat to actually see this car brought back from the past.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...73-chevelle?mc
Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #18
JasonS
Four Point

Research suspension. All the HP in the world wont matter if you cant hook it up. Im not sur what 60ft people are running in those cars, but I'd try to get down into 1.6 60ft at least. .1, a tenth on 60ft will net you around .2-.3 in the quarter I believe. You are leaving a lot on the table. She would drop at least a second off her ET if her 60ft was 1.6 compared to 2.3. Go slow, learning to launch can be hard, unless want buy some extra tires just for the strip. Look into suspension. You arnt even maximizing what you have.