Headed NW to our lease SW of Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed NW to our lease SW of Dallas

Just got back from the lease. Gas, corn and protein prices have me in shock. Looks like a good percentage of our bucks have lost their horns. About on schedule. We'll have some in hard horn into April, but it's almost time to do some serious shed hunting. I found two small sheds without really trying. The pics aren't that exciting, but I'll post a few.

Looks really good for turkey season. I checked one of Gold's cams and it's covered in turkeys. My little brother has them strutting all over his area. I saw turkeys pretty well everywhere I drove. I didn't kill any this past fall. Just didn't see many. So, my work's cut out for me to keep my 3+ average. They're eating out of all my feeders and are all over the river, so with any luck there will be plenty of turkey nuggets in the near future. Hammerheads are at the ready.

I put one of my new cams on my BNL's protein feeder. Ran it one night. Got one buck that had shed, a lot of coons, some does, and a porcupine. The cam has pretty good resolution and like my other Stealth I230 IR, it's got a good "flash".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jim's multi species.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	24726532

Name:	Jim's coon problem.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24726533

I put one of my I450's on my protein feeder. It had been out for over a month. Didn't take long for them to find it. They sure like that Big Rack. Took 40+ pics in 2 nights. Would have taken more, but from the pics, the cows were homesteading the perimeter of the pen. Have I stated lately how much I hate cows?

Name:	old man.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	24726534

Name:	Big Rack Attack.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	24726535

Lucky 2 still has what's left of his head gear. He's a 4 1/2 yo typical 10 that should go into the low to mid 40's this next year. He's on protein. I think he ended the season with one tine. LOL This is at my road feeder.

Name:	Lucky 2.jpg
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	24726536

This is also at my road feeder. I think they really, really like my corn. Dang, I'll be glad when they're hamburger.

Name:	corn enjoyment.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	24726537

Lot of deer at Matt's Palace. Looks like FYB has gone back to his bachelor pad. Hope he makes it back next year. Most of the deer have shed, so Sleepy and all the other potential hosses are no shows, at least with head gear.

Name:	Palace deer.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24726538

The wide 8 and Wrapper still have their horns and both made it in tact this year. The wide 8 is MUCH better looking in person than on camera. He was almost shot by me and my little brother.

Mark also has a coon problem. Looks like we'll be spending some nights in the Rangers with red lights on our .17's. That coon on the tube could be in trouble if he falls on that porcupine. That's at my BNL's feeder.

Name:	mark's coon problem.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	23832076

Name:	fall coon fall.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	23832080

My little brother's protein feeder gets a lot of attention. Deer and turkeys.

Name:	Mark's protein.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	23832077

Name:	mark's turkeys.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	23832078

Name:	wide 8 in tact.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	23832079

These deer at my Hilltop feeder look kind of ratty. I've got lots of turkeys here. Should be primo during the season. I called in several gobblers here last spring.

Name:	ratty bucks.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	23832081

There were a lot of deer going across a plowed field to a nearby wheat field. I set my Leaf River up on the crossing and hand fed with corn. I wanted to get examples of pics because it needs refurbishing and I wanted to see if I could catch a buck or two. No luck on the bucks, but I did get 15 or 20 pics.

Name:	wheat deer.JPG
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	23832082

About half my red LED's aren't working. Thus, the pics aren't illuminated very well. I've got several LR's that need to be refurbished or chunked. gotta talk to them after this next weekend. I've got about 6 out that have had problems of one kind or another and want examples on the cards of the kind of pics they take.

Protein cost me 326 for 1 ton. I bought "dirty" corn for 6 per sack at the Co-op. It's the same corn that we get when we buy bulk. a lot of dust and some small stalks. Our 12 volt feeders chunk it well. I'd have bought bulk, but I didn't have time to go get our 2 ton trailer and get back before they closed. I had to buy 20 sacks at Walmart for 6.50/50. That's some pretty clean corn and the cheapest clean corn I could find. Add the 3.09/gallon gas for the trip and I'll have to work an extra day just to pay for that weekend.

I also set up a couple cameras on our new place. Saw sandhills, thousands of dove, and several deer just wandering the roads. I set up one camera on my BNL's feeder. It's been out for 3 months and they're hammering it. Also a BIG rub on a BIG hackberry. Promising. I found a shed, big scrape, and a couple rubs in a beautiful little bottom. It's got a big mesquite tree just begging for a stand. Up goes a pole feeder. For those of you that don't use corn, you still have to hunt before you use the corn.

Storms woke me up and with that threat, I headed SE toward home at 1:30. I'm tired.

Comment

John, Looks like it is time to break the 17 cal. again.

Comment

Man...that buck in the 7th pic is a fighter. He doesn't have much left to shed! thanks for taking us along. Healthy population you've got there.

Comment

Stick one of those porcopines....could be a pretty kewl mount if someone will do it! Lots of critters out there Doc!

Comment

Somebody needs to shoot dem coons!

Comment

Doc have you ever thought of going NE to get to your lease SW of Dallas? Might make for an interesting trip.

Comment

I've gone NE to get there but eventually, you have to have some W. LOL

This buck is probably our biggest fighter. We call him Lucky 2 because he resembles Lucky so much. As a matter of fact, I thought it was Lucky when I first got these pics, but about 2 miles from where Lucky lives. If you look at the cropped pic, you'll see his right side is just a beam with nubs and there's only one tine on the left.

Name:	Copy of DSC_0006.JPG
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	23832087

Name:	Lucky 2.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	23832088

He's been in my protein big time and should be a solid shooter next season.

Comment

Thanks John for letting us go with you on this trip nice story and great pic.

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures! I jumped a big bunch of turkey's at Paradise last time I was there and that told me we must have a healthy population.

What camera of mine did you check? Anything interesting? I have 4 camera's out right now.

Is that last picture Wrapper? If not, who is it?

By the way did you know Gary just bought a 12 week old tracking dog? It's a chihuahua!

Comment

dsng lots of choices!

Comment

Nice pics. Those coons are gonna double your protein bill.

Comment

Good show Doc! I'll be headed S of Dallas soon......or maybe SSE, not sure

Comment

Those coons are going to double my BNL's and brother's protein bills. I have Boss Bucks and very few coons. LOL

Gold, I checked your Corner Post cam. Turkeys by the bunches. They are getting on your feeder again. I think they are roosting on it. LOL Lots of does. Of course some could be bucks. I saw you working in the pics also. Also, you have a coon problem. That one that gets on your platform needs a .17. I think we'll have to buy a case of .17 bullets to get them under control.

Those last pics are Lucky 2. I think cindy saw him several times at Corner Post. That pic was taken before Thanksgiving and he was already broken. Here's some pics of him late in the season at my protein. I don't think we have to worry about him getting poached with that rack. LOL

Name:	L2 at protein.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	23832089

Name:	L2 at protein 2.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	23832090

Name:	L2 at protein 3.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	23832091

Name:	L2at protein.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	23832092

Wrapper is still in tact and has moved to his summer home with the Wide 8. I'm anxious to see what he does this year after that big gain from last year. May approach 140 as an 8 if he eats my protein like he did last year.

Don't even mention Gary on my post. It dumbs them down too much. LOL

Comment

nice pics.those coons need to meet the ol 22

Comment

Working...
                              X