Bastrop state park youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bastrop state park youth hunt

My son got drawn for the youth hunt at bastrop state park next weekend. Just wanted to see if anybody has any experience there and what to expect. Thanks for the help

I don’t but good luck!

Comment

A friend of a friend has a place that backs up to the park. The deer have been moving real well lately. They have seen several better than average bucks this month. Good luck!! The pigs are moving as well, hope that helps.

Comment

IDK but most of the park burned a few years ago

Comment

We will be there this weekend. I spoke to the hunt manager today. He said they have plenty of doe and hogs, don't expect to shoot a trophy.....but anything is possible. Said they have a very small population of Red Stag, but again don't hold your breath. This is a compartment hunt. Each area is 150-200 acres. He did say most of the land burnt back in the wildfire. I'm bringing stands to get elevated as much as possible. Hope to meet you at orientation.

Comment

I hunt a place that joins the state park. Y'all don't shoot my 3.5 yr olds!

Lol kidding, good luck to you all. Let me know if y all have any questions about the area or such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't worry about us. My two kids have shot a buck and a doe each this year. Freezer is full. I told them both big bucks only. Although I didn't say Big 3.5yr olds were off limits. Lol. Jk.

They both shot 120" bucks this year. I'm not expecting to see anything bigger than that this weekend. We are just happy to get in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntley View Post
                We will be there this weekend. I spoke to the hunt manager today. He said they have plenty of doe and hogs, don't expect to shoot a trophy.....but anything is possible. Said they have a very small population of Red Stag, but again don't hold your breath. This is a compartment hunt. Each area is 150-200 acres. He did say most of the land burnt back in the wildfire. I'm bringing stands to get elevated as much as possible. Hope to meet you at orientation.
                I have a couple of ground blinds I will set up. I understand vegetation could be high but I will have to figure out a way to make it work. My son is looking forward to it. Meet you at orientation.

Comment

Hey when y'all hear a bunch of shooting in the morning that's me duck hunting. Just drove through the park to my lease, has park on 3 sides. Some really big bucks out here . There's been 3 stag shot on our place and they live on the park. I saw 2 big bulls 2 years ago on the park

Comment

Bastrop Youth Hunt

A friend sent me this thread too late to respond before the youth hunt. How did the youth hunt go? Any good bucks shot.
                    I own property that backs up to the park and we let a lot of 3 - 4 year old's walk every year (28 years now) and they seem to vanish after the season. The youth / adult hunts in the park have helped even out the buck - doe ratio. Since the fire the hogs have taken over. We never saw a hog prior to the fire I guess they did not like all the pine needles or just hadn't moved into the area.

Please let me know how it went.

Comment

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
                      Hey when y'all hear a bunch of shooting in the morning that's me duck hunting. Just drove through the park to my lease, has park on 3 sides. Some really big bucks out here . There's been 3 stag shot on our place and they live on the park. I saw 2 big bulls 2 years ago on the park
                      So I was talking to CW this weekend and started connecting dots. Man I need to come duck hunting with y'all! I've got a place in Elgin we can hit up too.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        So I was talking to CW this weekend and started connecting dots. Man I need to come duck hunting with y'all! I've got a place in Elgin we can hit up too.

I'm game. How do y'all know eachother

Comment

Working...
                        X