Deer named "Socks" is down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer named "Socks" is down.

Well folks, I got it done on our lease this morning. We still had a trophy to kill but with livestock show this coming week I knew I probably wouldn't make it out there. Today I decided to give it a try.

My target deer got killed a couple days ago by a rifle hunter about a mile away. Im very glad he got it cause he is a friend that I call Pops. It was his first trophy buck in about 25 years.

Knowing that buck was gone I decided I would hunt an 8 point I named "Socks". His front two legs had a lot of white. Since he is a regular at my feeder I had a good feeling I would get a chance at him. Well about 8:15am he came in there running all the young ones off. Problem is there wasn't but a few kernels left. He was on the move and would not present a shot for me. Two of the little guys decided to fight just out of view and he went after them. I thought he wouldn't come back due to the lack of corn. Well a few minutes went by and he deiced to make his way back into view. It was go time.

He walked in like he owned the place.

I quickly drew back and got settled. I waited for him to step forward and before I knew it the arrow was on its way. I noticed the shot was a tad back but he was quartering away pretty good. I also heard a load DING which was the arrow hitting my feeder leg. He bolted out of there and I saw blood spray out twice as he ran across my view. Money!!! After getting myself settled I took a look with my binos. I noticed the feeder leg had blood splattered on it and my arrow was laying on the ground bloody. Heck yeah!! I decided to give him an hour before tracking due to the tad back shot. I just wanted to be safe.

9:15 so its was time to track. Before I jumped in my pen I noticed some blood so I followed it. I never lost the blood trail. I followed it for around 70 yards thats when I caught a glimpse of him up ahead. I stopped and looked for breathing but there was none. Thank you lord.

He is not a monster but a great bow kill to me. He has long main beams and a nice spread, with light pencil antlers. Just something about him that I liked.

The shot turned out good with the exit being right on the money. The 2 blade 100grn Rage chisel tip did its job and more. It blew right through the opposite shoulder breaking the leg bone and smashing against the feeder leg. The broadhead had some damage of course but I don't care. It did its job.

Now the pics. These were taken by myself using my Iphone camera delay. Thanks to technology. One thing I hadn't noticed about the beanie I was wearing is this was my dads beanie. After he passed my mom gave it back to me. Thanks for being with me this morning dad.

As he was laying when I walked up. It appears he survived a rifle neck shot but didn't survive a bow shot. Lol

The entrance.

The exit.

Who said Rage wont break leg bones. [emoji41]

Thanks for reading amigos.

Ray
    Last edited by Poco; 01-10-2016, 08:20 PM.

A rage?! haha congrats! I shoot rage chisel point 2 blade

Comment

Great Buck, Thanks for sharing

Like they say when shooting Rage " just hit them in the deer" their dead

Comment

Congrats bud. Nice buck

Comment

Nice write up. Way to get it done!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Grest buck. Congrats and thank you for the write up.

Comment

Way to go Amigo! Congrats on a nice bow buck bro

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice write up! Love Rage bh! Congrats

Comment

Great looking 8 point,congrats!!

Comment

Good looking buck. Congrats

Comment

Congrats Ray.