Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you following the "kids in the cave" story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me that oxygen levels in the cave would be a concern. I couldn't imagine being stuck in there for 4 days, much less 4 months. Hopefully they can figure something out soon. But I'm glad that they at least found them, and found them alive at that.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

They need that guy that rescued those Chilean miners in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
          if they can get them food and rations, they can get them out with scuba. apparently there is a current in some of the water?!

i'm sure they brought them some lights. wonder if they had any batteries left in their lights when they were found. that's enough to make anyone go crazy in the pitch dark.
          Apparently there are some areas that are so narrow the divers have to remove their tanks from their back to get through the narrow openings. Add in the darkness and muddy water and that could lead to a big disaster trying to get the kids out. Hopefully they can figure out a quick solution.

Comment

I'm always amazed by the amount of people in the world that don't know how to swim. If they were decent swimmers or at least comfortable in the water,
            teaching them the necessary SCUBA skills could be done in less than an hour.

They need to be able to:

1) Purge a regulator (as hard as pressing a button)
            2) Clear their mask under water (look up and blow out your nose)
            3) Breath from an octopus (breathing from a spare air house)
            4) Not hold their breath while diving. (just keep breathing)

The rescue divers could help them along the way. In places where it is too tight to fit through, rescue diver's could be on either side with an octopus.

Unfortunately, since they have limited experience in the water, they won't be able to remain calm.

Hopefully they find a way.

Comment

The 4 month guess is if they had to wait out the rainy season. If you would read the articles written, they tell you the concerns.

Scuba is very risky for obvious reasons. 11-13 year old kids.

Digging a chute little more than half a mile is difficult because of the tiny cavern they are in. Its the equivalent of hitting a flea on a dogs back from 30 yards while blindfolded.
              Its a tricky situation. Thai military personnel are training the kids to dive in case the water continues to rise. In the meantime, they have plenty of food and supplies to wait if that is what needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

might be missing something in the story...but.... why not pump out the water?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  might be missing something in the story...but.... why not pump out the water?
                  The have been pumping. But the pumps aren't able to get ahead of the inflow. It's an underground river, not just a pool. The pumps brought the water level down less than 1 inch, and heavy rains are in the forecast.

Comment

So much water has already been pumped out from the caves that it has flooded farms nearby, The Bangkok Post reported.
                    dang.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      They need that guy that rescued those Chilean miners in 2010.
                      x2

Watched the movie about it. They essentially drilled down with a 24-36" bit, lowered a tube and pulled them up via a round cage they could stand in. This is about the same depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        It wouldn't take me long to learn how to operate scuba gear if it meant getting my *** out of an underwater cave…

X2

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          It wouldn't take me long to learn how to operate scuba gear if it meant getting my *** out of an underwater cave…

X2!!!

Comment

Caving diving is a lot harder to learn than open water(lake or ocean), in a cave if you panic there is nowhere to go up to the surface. Since 2 + miles in more than likely 1 scuba tank will not get them out. Average new diver can last less than 30 mins on a tank. Depending on the depth you would have to mix air you breath with more oxygen and have mutil. depression stops that could last mins to hours. You have to be in a good mental place to be able to swim with your body touching the cave walls, of you panic you will get stuck and no way to get help.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter11 View Post
                              Caving diving is a lot harder to learn than open water(lake or ocean), in a cave if you panic there is nowhere to go up to the surface. Since 2 + miles in more than likely 1 scuba tank will not get them out. Average new diver can last less than 30 mins on a tank. Depending on the depth you would have to mix air you breath with more oxygen and have mutil. depression stops that could last mins to hours. You have to be in a good mental place to be able to swim with your body touching the cave walls, of you panic you will get stuck and no way to get help.
                              From what I gather, a lot of it is not underwater, and most of it is not that tight.

Seems like a rope could be taken in to help pull them along the open sections and help guide them through the narrower ones. I'm sure they have mucho experts on hand that know more than me though.

I do know people don't give kids enough credit, they are a tough and resilient critter.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                                I thought being an MRI tube touching the sides was bad. I will praying for these folks, that is scary stuff.
                                My MRI for my shoulder, stuffed headfirst down that tiny tube.
                                45 minutes liked to kill me.

4 months for these kids...
                                Terrifying.
                                Prayers sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X