Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
Laszlo
Four Point

Hunt In: Open to suggestions
Default The NRA

What do you think will happen with the NRA? Wayne LaPierre and his gang of executives are under scrutiny from members. Conflict of interest with their advertising agency. Monkey business with funds. Expensive trips, expensive suits, buying houses for executives, girlfriend largesse etc. Money money money. Increasing criticism from the conservative side of the aisle too. And now Trump is acting kind of cool towards them lately. Are they losing their clout?

My membership renewal is up this month. I feel I can't justify it any more. Seems like my yearly membership money just goes towards mailings begging me for more money and some lousy magazine. A lot of my buddies feel the same way and have let their membership lapse. Don't get me wrong, the NRA does a lot of positive things but they should definitely get their act together. Pressures on them to clean house.

Heard on the news that every time there is a mass shooting or similar incident new membership climbs. Not this time though. New membership and renewals are down. I hope they get the message.
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
TexasArchery_27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

I think like with all things, they've gotten away from their original premise. Now, it's about money and corruption. I've never joined the NRA - none of my friends (30 and under) have even seriously considered doing so. It's a dying organization
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

By no means am I defending their actions, however what is the alternative? If these politicians aren't getting money pumped into their pockets to vote against any gun legislation that infringes on our rights, than they have no incentive to do so. Many politicians don't care if the gun laws are stricter or not. They're just going to vote based on who pays them the most. I don't know of another organization that has as much influence in Washington that is fighting for gun rights. Now more than ever we as gun owners have to ensure that we don't go down a slippery slope.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I'm sure the NRA will survive this. While I disagree with what is happening now, it is not the first time in their history this happened. I wish La Pierre would step aside just to show the membership that the organization wants a clean slate. The issues are getting sloppy.

I'm a Life Member and I'm glad to be one. The NRA is the elephant in the room when it comes to defending our 2A rights. Yes, there are others but they do not have the cannons the NRA has.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
I think like with all things, they've gotten away from their original premise. Now, it's about money and corruption. I've never joined the NRA - none of my friends (30 and under) have even seriously considered doing so. It's a dying organization
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
By no means am I defending their actions, however what is the alternative? If these politicians aren't getting money pumped into their pockets to vote against any gun legislation that infringes on our rights, than they have no incentive to do so. Many politicians don't care if the gun laws are stricter or not. They're just going to vote based on who pays them the most. I don't know of another organization that has as much influence in Washington that is fighting for gun rights. Now more than ever we as gun owners have to ensure that we don't go down a slippery slope.
True on both accounts....I canít really add much except to say I have to keep believing and supporting them. After all, they are about the only organization in our corner. Unfortunately, they are just like our country........rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I'm sure the NRA will survive this. While I disagree with what is happening now, it is not the first time in their history this happened. I wish La Pierre would step aside just to show the membership that the organization wants a clean slate. The issues are getting sloppy.

I'm a Life Member and I'm glad to be one. The NRA is the elephant in the room when it comes to defending our 2A rights. Yes, there are others but they do not have the cannons the NRA has.
This. At the end of the day there are millions of NRA members which influences politicians.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Like you I'm on the fence in continuing to support the NRA.

I've been looking at the other groups that are pro 2nd amendment.

Gun Owners of America does not compromise on the 2nd amendment.

My suggestion is to do your research and determine who you want to support.

https://lockedback.com/4-pro-gun-org...2nd-amendment/

Last edited by hopedale; 08-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
I feel the same way. I donít know any of my friends that are members (~30 age group).

Youíd have to have better propaganda than they have to get me to pay rich guys to pay other rich guys for something that Iím guaranteed by a constitutional amendment.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Wayne Lapierre is holding the organization hostage while he and some other people fleece it dry. If he cared one iota about gun rights he'd step down, but he won't because he doesn't care. The whole organization needs a good enema.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

The NRA has way too much invested in the fight to ever want to really win it.

It's done good things, and it's done some really bad things that it's never come to terms with and admitted they really screwed up.

The NRA has also done a really poor job of spreading the message to folks who dont fit the stereotypical image of an NRA member and like it or not that's probably the most important thing that we could possibly do to maintain our rights in the current political climate.

I honestly dont know if the organization will be willing to do what it takes to save itself and maintain its relevance.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Sounds like they are fighting the universal checks coming at us...it's going to be interesting to see if the law makers can even agree on the language.

I kinda suspect membership will surge some as the chatter builds??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I’ve been saying the same stuff for years.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #13
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I'm against ANY special interest group involved in politics. I give enough money to Ruger, Sig, Remington et al. Let them figure out how to lobby to support their industry. At least they actually provide a return on my investment.

I don't need any more fat cat bureaucrats to squander my hard earned money.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
I'm against ANY special interest group involved in politics. I give enough money to Ruger, Sig, Remington et al. Let them figure out how to lobby to support their industry. At least they actually provide a return on my investment.

I don't need any more fat cat bureaucrats to squander my hard earned money.
Fine the rest of us will continue to fund the fight for your rights.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #15
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I think as long as Democrats despise them then they are doing something right.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I think as long as Democrats despise them then they are doing something right.
That's a really low standard for doing right...
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
That's a really low standard for doing right...
I said "something" not everything right.

IMO like most large organizations, the NRA has corruption on the inside. They need to drain their swamp within or another group will hopefully rise up and replace them. We as gun owners desperately need a strong organization protecting our rights to keep and bear arms
Old 08-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Fine the rest of us will continue to fund the fight for your rights.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

My membership is up when I die, but that said, I’m not as in love with them as I used to be. Many reasons, some of which are mentioned above.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #20
Dave

The NRA isn't powerful because of the amount of money it pays to candidates. In comparison the Oil/Gas industry, Medical, Drug companies all way out spend, they are just diversified in doing it while the NRA numbers show up as one number.

The NRA is powerful for the same reason AARP is powerful, they have a huge membership who will single issue vote. When the NRA sends out letters saying a candidate is bad for the 2nd Amendment then they can count on votes against that candidate. In much of the country that is enough to keep candidates away from gun control legislation that the NRA deems as counter to the 2nd Amendment.

You can tell the NRA that you don't like the current leadership by not sending in your dues and still support the 2nd Endearment by calling you congress critters and telling them what you think and how you will vote in the next election. Remember, with the current gerrymandered districts it's not a challenge from across the aisle a congressman has to worry about but rather a primary challenge from within their own party.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #21
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

If you own a firearm and are not an NRA member you are part of the problem.

It's not going anywhere so join up.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #22
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post

Wrong...
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #23
TWarren
Four Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Quote:

Thanks but no thanks.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #24
TXHunter12
Ten Point

It’s the best option. It’s about the members and the numbers.
The lefts dream is a weak NRA.
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 07:19 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Nope.

The NRA has a long history of making good with the politicians and selling out their members on some very large gun control measures.

Iíll support the people that actually listen to their members and fight tooth and nail for them as well as the 2nd amendment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #26
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

There's always the Texas State Rifle Association
Old 08-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #27
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Iím awful deep in it to give up on them now and Iím not convinced thereís a better alternative. All ears I guess
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Name ANY other lobbying organization that is more effective regarding it's primary focus.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #29
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Not one Pro 2A organization has the clout the NRA has in Washington.
Have you ever heard the left say anything about the GOA? Or the Texas Rifle Association? You have to understand there is strength in numbers.

Lets put it like this...Your wife...Do you love EVERYTHING about her? Chances are you don't. Does not mean you are not happy. So what are you gonna do? Nothing, you accept the what you don't like and move on. But where you going? Nowhere. Shes your wife.
The NRA...do you love EVERYTHING about them? NO... But where are you going?
There needs to be a concerted voice. Who screams louder? A few thousand or a few million?
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Pic View Post
Have you ever heard the left say anything about the GOA? Or the Texas Rifle Association? You have to understand there is strength in numbers.

Lets put it like this...Your wife...Do you love EVERYTHING about her? Chances are you don't. Does not mean you are not happy. So what are you gonna do? Nothing, you accept the what you don't like and move on. But where you going? Nowhere. Shes your wife.
There needs to be a concerted voice. Who screams louder? A few thousand or a few million?

GOA has over 1.5 million members and they donít bend on 2A issues like the NRA does. Their numbers will only continue to go up as more gun owners get tired of the NRAs antics.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #31
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I too hate what the NRA has become but we still need all the firepower we can get to keep these liberal anti 2nd in check. I'm a lifer but no longer give them any $$$ and never will unless the organization is cleaned up and sanitized. NRA badly needs another Charlton Heston but that will never happen. He was one of a kind.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #32
treestand
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:

Very good take on the situation. We need a strong NRA or you soon won't be able to buy / sell a firearm on TBH. The slippery slope quickly gets worse from there. Without a strong NRA, how long will you be able to buy or even own an AR-15?

Join the NRA if you are not a member and write them a letter with your complaints. In fact, send your membership check in with your letter demanding change. I'm a life member and I'm making my opinion known that LaPiere needs to go. If just 10% of members do the same, he's toast.
treestand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #33
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

I left them in the mid 90's and have never looked back. The rot is deep. I hope they get it figured out, or the GOA will use their shiftlessness as an opportunity to grow rapidly. Hum, may not be a horrible idea!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #34
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:

Thatís a terrible analogy in a society with a 50% divorce rate. Half the population would trade the former in for a newer model with the same problems
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #35
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:

No point in trying to argue with some of these folks.
Most of them are about ready to jump off the Trump train over something he has not even done yet
Hell war heroes are anti freedom at the moment...again over something that has not happened.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #36
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Join GOA and 2nd amendment foundation if you have issues with the NRA

I'm a life member of all 3. The more you join and get notifications from to contact your gov officials the better.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #37
joeperot
Four Point

when the lib media and dems gripe about gun legislation getting shut down the only organization I hear them ridicule is the NRA.
joeperot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #38
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
There's always the Texas State Rifle Association
You do realize this is the state chapter of the NRA?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #39
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

As members of the NRA, we need to contact them and tell them to replace LaPierre and send a clear message that ethical indiscretions will not be tolerated.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #40
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand View Post
Very good take on the situation. We need a strong NRA or you soon won't be able to buy / sell a firearm on TBH. The slippery slope quickly gets worse from there. Without a strong NRA, how long will you be able to buy or even own an AR-15?

Join the NRA if you are not a member and write them a letter with your complaints. In fact, send your membership check in with your letter demanding change. I'm a life member and I'm making my opinion known that LaPiere needs to go. If just 10% of members do the same, he's toast.

Input carries a lot less weight when they already have your $$.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:12 AM   #41
ItsAllGood
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

Nicely put...I'm a Life Member and proud of it. I miss the Charlton Heston days, but I have not given up on the NRA. I make my opinions known to them on things I don't like and applaud on things I do like. Be active in your membership.
ItsAllGood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
PlanoDano
Four Point

No longer a member. Group is no longer hunter focused. Would rather put my money and time towards groups that protect our public lands and our access to it. Any extra donations will go to RMEF and groups like that. I even considered the Sierra Club but their stance on hunting did not align with my world.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #43
Laszlo
Four Point

Since I began this thread I have received seven postal mailings to rejoin. All with incentives for a free magazine subscription, plus a pocket knife, jacket, hat or some other piece of flum. Emails are at seventeen with number eighteen arriving about 10 minutes ago. Thats my main gripe about this organization. Waste. Seriously does some free cheap trinket and magazine really entice you to join a serious defender of the second amendment? Constant mailings asking for more and more money while the financial indiscretions remain unaddressed?

Joined GOA last month. Still on the fence about the NRA. I really hope they will listen to their members and address these concerns. They need to get back to the basics. Defend the 2nd amendment, provide safety training and education, and promote marksmanship skills. And stop wasting money like drunk sailors. A nicely worded email expressing their concern over the recent revelations isn't enough. Haven't seen or heard of any action they have taken. I'm not sure they really understand just how serious the negative perception has become among supporters.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #44
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:

I figured all their crossbow shooters were picking up the slack. what's wrong, it didn't work out?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #45
Boldent2012
Nubbin' Buck

I'm still a lifetime member, but I do not donate as much as I used to. I primarily donate to GOA. I feel they are way more in touch with the average gun owner in this country.
Boldent2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

No doubt WL has caused a lot of disenchantment with the NRA. It's time for new leadership and a better hardline direction.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #47
Laszlo
Four Point

Who’s Making These Horrible Decisions?

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/new...#axzz5zFScqV9q

Last edited by Laszlo; 09-12-2019 at 08:54 AM.