Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Keeping spent casings or arrows as a memento....

I was looking through some boxes today that I had some spurs and turkey beards in and noticed I had some empty shells in there. I kept my empties I shot turkeys with back in the day thinking I'd display them someday along with the turkey beards and stuff. My buddy says he has the empty brass from the bullets he's shot deer with. Is that a common thing for people to do? I guess it would be an accurate way to keep track of how many you've shot over the years.

I thought about making a display of some kind from the shells I shot turkeys with along with the spurs and beards. Just haven't decided how I'm going to do it yet.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 02:05 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

The days of inanimate objects holding sentimental value for me are over. (Doesn’t include firearms). Less is more.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
The days of inanimate objects holding sentimental value for me are over. (Doesn’t include firearms). Less is more.
Yeah I haven't done that in a long time. Rifle casings get reloaded and empty shotgun shells get kicked out on the ground now days. I had kind of forgotten about the beards and spurs I kept from the turkeys I've shot. I guess I took them for a purpose so I figure I may as well display them in some way.

I thought maybe making a shelf with a shotgun shell inlay with keychain holder type pegs on it to hang the beards and spurs off of might look cool. I haven't decided yet though. I'm brain storming since there's not a whole lot to do.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
okrattler
Pope & Young

I don't like stuff cluttering up the house so I box it up and put it in storage. I have good ideas but never get around to doing it until way later. Which causes more clutter by boxing things up. With this virus thing going on I don't have an excuse. I need to do some projects I should have done a long time ago.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I have the 270 Weatherby casing from my biggest buck in my gun safe...circa 1999
Arrow from my biggest archery buck and biggest archery pig in the back of the same safe even though the big pig broke it.
My first robinhood mounted over my home office closet door...

Other than that, I don't keep the casings or arrows of other stuff. I try to reuse my arrows if they pass the bend test. I think I had 8 kills on the one arrow that got retired when the big boar broke it......only kept it because of above.

Last edited by Smart; 04-05-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I have the 270 Weatherby casing from my biggest buck in my gun safe...
Arrow from my biggest archery buck and biggest archery pig in the back of the same safe even though the big pig broke it.
My first robinhood mounted over my home office closet door...

Other than that, I don't keep the casings or arrows of other stuff. I try to reuse my arrows if they pass the bend test. I think I had 8 kills on the one arrow that got retired when the big boar broke it......only kept it because of above.
I'm glad you posted. You reminded me of something I did a long time ago using a piece of cord and the brass of the shotgun shell I shot a turkey with to display the beard and spurs. I could just keep doing that with the other ones. I got that idea from you. I'll probably just stack all of the spurs on one cord.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I'm glad you posted. You reminded me of something I did a long time ago using a piece of cord and the brass of the shotgun shell I shot a turkey with to display the beard and spurs. I could just keep doing that with the other ones. I got that idea from you. I'll probably just stack all of the spurs on one cord.

Well if we are talking beards and spurs I consider those mounts and they get their due per bird....
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well if we are talking beards and spurs I consider those mounts and they get their due per bird....
But I'm lazy.......LOL And I had a heck of a time getting the primer knocked out of that last one I did. I think I ended up using a drill bit but I don't remember. That's been a few years back at least.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
J-Carp
Ten Point

I put the casings on the back of my mounts along with a short summary. Day/place/time...crap like that
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
I put the casings on the back of my mounts along with a short summary. Day/place/time...crap like that
I about said something really stupid. Along with a summary. At first I thought you meant on the casing. My first thought was **** dude you write small.smh.......I'm not a smart man J-Carp. But I know what a mount is.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

I did for a super long time...….casings, shells, arrows! Not anymore but the ones I have I still know the stories behind them. With all the animals in my trophy room the stories are easier by just looking at the critter.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

My wife has the case from every deer she has killed since sheís started hunting with me 17 years ago. She puts a piece of scotch tape on each case with the location she shot the animal and what the animal was, she has a gallon ziplock about half full now. I like to mess with her and tell her I need the shells so I can reload them, I get some crossed looks from her on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I've got several spent cases that I saved but can't remember which deer i shot with which.. I should have dated or marked them some how..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
Thumper
Pope & Young

I've got 50 year old kill arrows, keep them in an old back quiver.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #15
db@100
Eight Point

The thing about keeping these things, what will your kids do with them when you die?
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #16
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
The thing about keeping these things, what will your kids do with them when you die?
Throw them away with the rest of your stuff they don't want.. I didnt keep them for anyone but myself. I had plans to glue them on a piece of wood with a little description of where and when it was shot. But time flies and memories fade..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Same could be said for mounts in general.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #18
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Depends on the scenario for me but sometimes yes. Oddly enough the biggest buck Iíve shot to date I recycled that arrow back into rotation without even thinking about it and have no clue which one it was.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #19
lost cajun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County, Mississippi, South Louisiana

I keep most of the casings from my kills. I write the date and animal on them. Another opportunity to reminisce about some good hunts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lost cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #20
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
If I had kids I'd request that they mix in my ashes with some gunpowder,reload those casings and take me huntin.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:46 PM   #21
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

^talk about goin out with a bang
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #22
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I keep all my casings in my blind when i kill something!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 PM   #23
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
I keep all my casings in my blind when i kill something!
That actually reminded me of something I do that's very much like that. Except I don't hunt from a blind so what I do is stack my empties on something where I sit when I'm calling in coyotes and such. If I kill one on that stand I put it on the pile of brass I started. If I miss I pick it up and take it with me. I used to always pick up my brass every single time but my grandpa reloads and he has ammo cans full of .223 brass so he told me unless it newer brass to stop doing that all the time.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

None hold value to me personally. I have Lola’s case from first buck but that’s it...

I made her new arrows last week from a bunch of Robin Hood’s I had in the shop (guess that’s why I kept em all, lol)
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #25
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Same could be said for mounts in general.

Two of my girls have families of their own and don't want their mounts that hang in our house. WTH am I supposed to do with them. I've got more deer and turkey and duck mounts than I want now. I think I'm gonna just start tagging antlers and stacking them up. I have 3 capes in the freezer and antlers to go with them. I haven't mounted them because I don't know what to do with the ones I have now. We'd like to downsize at some point. Maybe my grandkids will want the racks one day. I wish I had some of my grandads.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #26
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

Only one. My grandsons first turkey. I mounted the fan my self. I glued the beard inside the 20 gauge hull and then glued the hull to the bottom of the wood that holds the fan.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #27
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Have the case and bullet from my bighorn sheep hunt.
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 01:11 AM   #28
Mjjust
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

Only brass I kept was some of the brass from the gun salute at my dadís funeral at Fort Sam Houston. I pull it out occasionally and just hold it. Because that means so much I canít keep any from a hunt. I know itís not logical but it would somehow make my dadís less special if I kept brass from much less important events.

Please donít think Iím knocking anyone that does keep from a hunt. Itís what it means to you is all that matters.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #29
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
I did for a super long time...Ö.casings, shells, arrows! Not anymore but the ones I have I still know the stories behind them. With all the animals in my trophy room the stories are easier by just looking at the critter.
Youd need a room just for arrows though!!

I have a few arrows from kills. I do have a box of 7 mag ammo that has traveled to Colorado with me several times. Each empty cartridge has the date on it and what it was. Each empty case has been fired on the same ranch. I think there are 4 live rounds left in the box
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #30
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Youd need a room just for arrows though!!

I have a few arrows from kills. I do have a box of 7 mag ammo that has traveled to Colorado with me several times. Each empty cartridge has the date on it and what it was. Each empty case has been fired on the same ranch. I think there are 4 live rounds left in the box
Now that Colorado box of shells is a cool idea. History in a "box!"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top