Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #1
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public
Default How are the Beef/Chicken/Pig Ranchers doing?

Everytime I've gone to the store they are out of Hamburger, Chops, Bacon, Hotdogs, Sausage, Limited supplies of Chicken, etc.

I got up and went to Kroger this morning and surprised as it seems rather normal with more older people doing their shopping. Seemed to have all of the normal stuff, except lots of empty areas where meat used to be.

Just wonder how they are holding up and wondering if they are getting asked to supply more animals, etc.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
powderburner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

all you FFA and 4H show animals are up for sale

If you are looking to buy meat. look to buy from a kid.

Look up Stock Show Auctions on FB
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
ramrod
Eight Point

Cattle futures are down, just the same as everything else. Packers and feedlots have plenty of cattle, just buy what you need.
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

Cattle prices are down, down, down. Beef prices are up, up, up.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

A large percentage of grocers are reserving the first 2 hours of operation during this COVID event to older citizens. The hysteria has made things difficult for them plus that age group definitely needs to have social spacing enforced.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

I just talked to my vet buddy and he said the cattle folks (feedlots) are hurting in a VERY bad way
ClayW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Looks like I'll be sitting on these calves for a while....
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
BRANDW
Six Point

Hunt In: MASON,TX

Packer margins are large right now, boxed beef continues to rise. Prices lower in the barn on feeder & stocker calves. Packer cow & bull prices are higher right now than they have been in year or more. The producers, and feedyards are feeling the pressure, unless they had the calves contracted way out.
BRANDW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

This surge won't last long.
Restaurants/schools not ordering will hurt .
Price might come up some because you get more per pound when not in bulk
Buy into Huggies
Mom and dad will have more time together=more babies in 9 months
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Don't people keep some food in their houses? I think its hilarious when you go to the store and the shelves are empty! I'm single and have enough food in my house to survive for at least 6 months! And I'm not a prepper, either!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
Don't people keep some food in their houses? I think its hilarious when you go to the store and the shelves are empty! I'm single and have enough food in my house to survive for at least 6 months! And I'm not a prepper, either!

Glad all these panicked and scared people can amuse you.

I too have at least 6 months worth.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
Understood. Change that scenario to 2-3 high school age boys that are eating machines and you will see it in a different light, lol.

I am currently going through 5-7 pounds of sausage/bacon/meat a day feeding 5 people.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Understood. Change that scenario to 2-3 high school age boys that are eating machines and you will see it in a different light, lol.

I am currently going through 5-7 pounds of sausage/bacon/meat a day feeding 5 people.
if we can get an express going I'll send some down to you. Between my parents and myself we have 3 deer in our freezers. 4 adults and a toddler between the two houses so we have plenty of venison to share
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I had a couple teenage boy once so I understand how much they eat. I did it, too when I was growing up.

People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do? Why do people need a 5 year supply of toilet paper just because they've been asked to practice social distancing? That's the part that I find funny.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Quote:
I had a couple teenage boy once so I understand how much they eat. I did it, too when I was growing up.

People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do? Why do people need a 5 year supply of toilet paper just because they've been asked to practice social distancing? That's the part that I find funny.
Rumors (shelter in place, lockdown, martial law) are driving this panic. See other Covid thread.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #16
hunting270
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico and Wyoming

Got Show Pigs for sale.
hunting270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 PM   #17
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
People's families have not dramatically increased or changed over the last month. The shelves weren't bare a month or two ago. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for people to do the panic buying that is going on right now. Is everyone eating three times as much food as what they normally do?
Good point and it's the answer here. They are eating 3x as much food, 3x as much at home. My family very rarely eats breakfast and lunch at home, maybe only on the weekends. So in reality, with a family of 5, I am now feeding 10-15 meals a day whereas I was only providing 5 meals a day at my home. I think that puts it in better context. I have plenty of food and access to plenty more easily. I am trying to keep ahead and save my freezer stockpile in case things get worse.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #18
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
A large percentage of grocers are reserving the first 2 hours of operation during this COVID event to older citizens. The hysteria has made things difficult for them plus that age group definitely needs to have social spacing enforced.
So strange--I'll be 74 in a few months and I would feel strange going to shop with the "old" folks. Now, if I was at zero balance on some essentials, I'd go but otherwise, no.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #19
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDW View Post
Packer margins are large right now, boxed beef continues to rise. Prices lower in the barn on feeder & stocker calves. Packer cow & bull prices are higher right now than they have been in year or more. The producers, and feedyards are feeling the pressure, unless they had the calves contracted way out.
Exactly. San Saba reported prices are down $10. Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Exactly. San Saba reported prices are down $10. Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?
Interesting. I'm always wondering about this stuff, is there anywhere to go to keep up to date on the market reading wise?
Hooverfb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young

It's crazy how the producer has always been on the low end and the middleman controls the agricultural markets. Been that way since post WW2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #22
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
So strange--I'll be 74 in a few months and I would feel strange going to shop with the "old" folks. Now, if I was at zero balance on some essentials, I'd go but otherwise, no.
At 74 my dad would have said the same thing. 74 these days is much different.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Sonny Perdue is opening an investigation on packer's control on prices. Why is it that we have so much beef from the producers, prices are so low to the producers and yet there's no product on the shelves and what is there the consumer is paying high prices?
That should be some interesting data. I have been shopping for several older relatives the last two days. I have seen a lack of pork on the shelves but a fair amount of beef. I am seeing butchers cutting up whole pork loins into 3rds for smaller sales. Lots of whole briskets at $3.99/pound. Beef Roasts are around $5/pound which is high for me.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #24
Low Fence
Pope & Young

The dairy market was as bad as its ever been... with schools closed (our biggest market) it will/is going to drop even more. Of course it won’t drop in stores.... just at the source

For reference I sold a Good Bull calf last month (2 weeks old)...$7 BEFORE commission. They are worth more born dead (sad but true). Milk had gone up a month but is always on the way down in spring. Green up and calving naturally take place now with a surplus that isn’t needed... add closing schools and restaurants and it will bankrupt more than are already on their way out

I heard this week there were only 636 dairies left in TEXAS! there were more than that in Hopkins and Wood co alone in 80’s and 90’s
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #25
Farmdog
Ten Point

Anything crossed with a hump and long ear brings nothing in the Valley, its disappointing to say the least in comparison, thats how I feel after selling 12 calves last weekend, you can limp along with your Angus or Hereford easier. Im fertilizing and watering pasture as fast as I can so hopefully I dont have to sell anymore for awhile
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #26
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
The dairy market was as bad as its ever been... with schools closed (our biggest market) it will/is going to drop even more. Of course it wonít drop in stores.... just at the source

For reference I sold a Good Bull calf last month (2 weeks old)...$7 BEFORE commission. They are worth more born dead (sad but true). Milk had gone up a month but is always on the way down in spring. Green up and calving naturally take place now with a surplus that isnít needed... add closing schools and restaurants and it will bankrupt more than are already on their way out

I heard this week there were only 636 dairies left in TEXAS! there were more than that in Hopkins and Wood co alone in 80ís and 90ís
$7.......gee-zus!!!

Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Sold 10 850avg steers... avg $0.77 pound

And a 1400 lbs weigh cow (good shape, just open) $1,100
Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #28
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Dairy steers ?
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Dairy steers ?
Yes. Fat Holstein
Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #30
ditchdigger2
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby & Gonzales Co
Default Calves

Where do yíall sell at mostly? I read where they donít have the regular dairy sale at sulphuric springs anymore. We used to come up there and buy some at times
ditchdigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #31
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Still have it there. Just once a month. We are closed herd... so if we’re selling it, you don’t wanna milk it. Lol

Weigh cows go SS or winnsboro typically.. Emory as last resort but they pay better than buzzards
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 PM   #32
ditchdigger2
Four Point

they usually run a good many calves at winnsboro? I’m thinkin about grazing some for a while this year and see how it goes,
Old 03-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #33
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Ranchers are losing and feed lots are losing but the processers (middleman) have a monopoly only about 4-5 major companies left are making $400-$500 a head. Just ain't right and the government needs to step in.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #34
Low Fence
Pope & Young

No. It’s on the verge of bankruptcy is what I hear
Old 03-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #35
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Ranchers are losing and feed lots are losing but the processers (middleman) have a monopoly only about 4-5 major companies left are making $400-$500 a head. Just ain't right and the government needs to step in.
I’ll make 7/8 of this thread mad.....

But over 60% are herds so small they are just beer money. If they loose money... they buy keystone vs coors. They sell as a hobby and right off.... BUT they are a majority in the grand scheme of things. They produce enough to fill the need

With milk, I am forced to milk or they die.. period. Now I have milk!... I take what they offer or drink 14,000 a day myself. We have to feed... so we have to acquire feed bills... they gotta be paid..... we have such an over surplus 1/2 could close tomorrow (and might) and the world would never blink an eye

I don’t know how to make it better, wish I did. Just what I observe. Our Government has done enough... they ain’t the solution. Other than a trade deal... and then the final hand will take the cash
Old 03-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #36
ditchdigger2
Four Point

Yes I’ve read folks talkin about the beef industry goin the way chicken has. I don’t know how long it would take but I can remember a lot of small chicken producers around , mostly egg but some broiler that haven’t been able to make it. A few big companies now call all the shots
Old 03-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #37
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Quote:
Iíll make 7/8 of this thread mad.....

But over 60% are herds so small they are just beer money. If they loose money... they buy keystone vs coors. They sell as a hobby and right off.... BUT they are a majority in the grand scheme of things. They produce enough to fill the need

With milk, I am forced to milk or they die.. period. Now I have milk!... I take what they offer or drink 14,000 a day myself. We have to feed... so we have to acquire feed bills... they gotta be paid..... we have such an over surplus 1/2 could close tomorrow (and might) and the world would never blink an eye

I donít know how to make it better, wish I did. Just what I observe. Our Government has done enough... they ainít the solution. Other than a trade deal... and then the final hand will take the cash
An investment is an investment, whether its a few head or hundreds. As you acknowledged, they add up to to the majority. If thats what you call beer money then Iíll have what youíre drinkin
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #38
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
An investment is an investment, whether its a few head or hundreds. As you acknowledged, they add up to to the majority. If thats what you call beer money then I’ll have what you’re drinkin
Selling 10 calves a year vs 500 is apples and bowling balls. Most could loose the whole herd and make their car payment vs swallow a gun barrel (suicide in the cattle industry is at an all time high. I’m not making light of it).
Old 03-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #39
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger2 View Post
Yes Iíve read folks talkin about the beef industry goin the way chicken has. I donít know how long it would take but I can remember a lot of small chicken producers around , mostly egg but some broiler that havenít been able to make it. A few big companies now call all the shots
Pilgrims, Tyson or Sanderson... or eat a bunch of chicken. Lol

By time you pay off $1M per house (typically scheduled around 12 years I think with most)... time for mandatory ďretrofittingĒ... and the cycle repeats on and on and on. Plus they finance too! Imagine that
Old 03-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #40
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Selling 10 calves a year vs 500 is apples and bowling balls. Most could loose the whole herd and make their car payment vs swallow a gun barrel (suicide in the cattle industry is at an all time high. Iím not making light of it).

Thats why I got rid of my cattle a few years ago and sold my stock trailer. Just wasn't worth it to me. Currently letting my cousin run his cattle on my property.
Bumpy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #41
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Weigh cows last week... 1st calf heifer. Excellent shape just 2 teated...$0.33 a pound
Heavy cow- $0.53 a pound

Milk from $0.19 down to $0.15 and falling

They are now DUMPING milk no place to take it...
Old 04-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #42
Buck_jane
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette

I have commercial chicken houses and we can't keep up. Egg market hit an all time high earlier this week. It's fell off a little towards the end.

Broiler houses cost closer to $300/$400k. Layer houses cost about $600k and up. Depending on how fancy you want them.
Buck_jane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #43
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

I dont see any feed prices falling though.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #44
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

I'm not a pig guy, but sat in on the pig show in SA for a while this year. I was told the truck price was like $.15/lb.it may have been lower.

People were generous to the show kids on steers we got stuck with. We got $1.65. Other I know got $2.00.

What cracks me up is we have a few pygmy goats just for grins. We sell little ones for yard art around here for the 10 acre 'ranchers' from Cali. Usually $125 each.

A month ago I couldn't find a buyer. A buddy was taking a load of goats to Fredericksburg and took him. 40 lb crappy Goat brought $3.00/pound. If he was intact, would have been $3.50. That's what middle easterners want. Heck, packing weight on a Goat for $3/lb is a no brainer. And hitch-hiking them to auction vs having a lib-tard come to my place and hug goats is another no-brainer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 04-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #45
ditchdigger2
Four Point

We are in the chicken business also, we have two Tyson broiler farms but the current events haven’t increased our end any actually it’s more on the slow end. At busy times we would be about two weeks between flocks but currently it’s a month or little more.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #46
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Since show auction was cancelled, we looked at current market today for dairy heifers. We supplied I believe 5 this year counting my daughters first show heifer. We always try and help them out. Breaks m heart for them... but that’s life and ag.

Breakdown:

Calf - $300
Milk- $180
Feed -$400
Hay-$30
Health papers-$100
Entry fee- $25

Total-$1035.... many have barn rent, show supplies, bedding ect

If sold TODAY in dairy sale... UP TO $320.... and that’s most of their only option

400 weight steers (Holstein) $0.35-$0.42 pound
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #47
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I was reading the other day that sheep are actually more profitable. Texas accounts for ~ 50% of the US's sheep farming. I know with the larger ethnic populations theres probably somewhat higher demand, but someone must be paying the prices? It always goes for an arm and a leg per bw versus beef, and I know some stores are always selling it. I like mutton and lamb myself but always wondered what the economy of scale was for this or if it's a localized market deal.
Hooverfb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #48
Landrover
Pope & Young

We have 3 racks of lamb in the freezer. The sales seem to be solid over the last few years.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #49
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger2 View Post
We are in the chicken business also, we have two Tyson broiler farms but the current events havenít increased our end any actually itís more on the slow end. At busy times we would be about two weeks between flocks but currently itís a month or little more.
A friend and I looked into Sanderson Farms about 3 years ago. The numbers just were not what I expected, especially based on the commitment it was going to take. I did hear Tyson was better to work with.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #50
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Must have a big house and not feeding multiple kids.

We don't buy much beef but seeing plenty on the shelf. Chicken is hit and miss and the pigs are abundant. Just dropped a sausage maker off at Plantation meats.

If anyone in the Fort Worth or Abilene area needs a pig for the table let me know and I'll do my best to get one to you skinned and quartered.

Gary

Last edited by DRT; 04-06-2020 at 06:21 PM.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top