Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default Survey....would you use

Would you use a gps tracking device to help locate a wounded animal? You could use any arrow and any broadhead. Simply insert a gps in an arrow and download an app. The app would be a satellite map that would ping exactly where your arrow is at that moment up to a mile or 2 mile radius.

All you would, open up your map, you would see a blue dot showing where you need to go.

I may be able to do this but it requires a substantial chunk of change and time to complete and get to market. Not sure worth my time.

Would you use this with your hunting arrows? If so, what would you be willing to pay per arrow for this ability?
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Probably not because most of my shots are pass throughs.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I like the idea, but I also like pass throughs. I’m guessing this would be reusable?
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Daddy Rabbit
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

cool idea, but I would be one of those slow to jump on board.
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Arrows don’t stay with critters long usually.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

My 425 grain arrows are mostly passthroughs......you folks with "man missles"...errr adult arrows tell me they would be useless because they never stop...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

If they were cheap enough (around $5-7) I would consider using them to recover my arrow after a pass through. Usually not a problem from a treestand, but hunting from a popup I can rarely find my arrow.

I can't recall the last time I didn't get a pass through...maybe 1989.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
BBBGP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee Co.

No, But I think its a great idea and that size of gps could have 1000's of applications. Depending on all the details.
BBBGP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Something like this?

https://forsalebyinventor.com/produc...acking-device/
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Just use a RFID that detached on the skin.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
My 425 grain arrows are mostly passthroughs......you folks with "man missles"...errr adult arrows tell me they would be useless because they never stop...
They can track it like Haleyís comet as it orbits the earth

As for me, donít need it
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

There have been multiple people make something similar and they never end up being very popular
JTeLarkin08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #13
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
There have been multiple people make something similar and they never end up being very popular

The ones I have seen are crazy expensive and limited range. I have not seen one yet with an actual gps showing a marker on a satellite map pinging the arrow exactly where located.

There have been radio frequencies used, there have been bluetooth nocks, there have been things designed to fit on broadheads and catch the animals hide. All seem to just show a signal strength to help locate.

Think how onx shows where you are on a satellite map but instead will show your arrow. Or at least the front part of your arrow. My experience is the back end of an arrow will get broken by a deer's leg or Bush while running and fall on the ground leaving broadhead with some shaft still in it

Every one made so far are not like this and crazy expensive. My wonder is would people buy this if 50 dollars or less?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #14
Jason Slocum
Eight Point

Hunt In: Enchanted Rock

Will the gps work inside an animal? A lot of the Bluetooth devices wonít work under water or inside a wet animal cavity. Will it work without phone service?

Jason Slocum
Jason Slocum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cameron Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Randall Val Verde Counties

Make good shots and they almost never go more than 60 yards, we're very picky on our shots and angles and the broadheads we use and just don't lose deer anymore but agree there was a learning curve as a beginner decades ago. Ditto on the the passthoughs. Anyone remember these? almost bought one years ago https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...g-unit?a=55992

Last edited by bossbowman; 04-03-2020 at 09:04 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
xman59
Pope & Young

with over 50 bow kills all but 3 of my arrows passed through,only one of those animals went over 30 yards,, i think i am going to just keep doing what i am,,
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #17
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I zip tie my phone to my arrows before the shot and then do Find My IPhone to track my deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

Hunt In: <---- Top Secret!

I would be depending on price

Rick
thehairlessone! is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Interesting, we have a lot of studs that have never lost a deer or failed to have a pass through.

When I first started bowhunting, every deer I killed went perfect. I had no idea why people lost deer. Then I had a streak where I lost a couple of does and a buck.

Started tinkering with how I was doing things and trying to be a better more ethical Hunter. Now I went from a 380 grain arrow to a 560 grain arrow this year.

We will see but I believe will make a huge difference. Yet, I think it would be nice if the industry offered an affordable solution to increase recovery on the mistakes or mistakes made by beginning bowhunter.

For hunting to expand and live, we need to get people into hunting. Something like this may be able to keep or get people in the sport.

It may help get support from those against bowhunting

But I plan on doing my best to be like a lot of you and never make a bad shot and have a 100% recovery
Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #20
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Don’t think there would be much of a market for it. Best tracking aid is a good dog.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Something you need to consider: GPS accuracy is affected by trees. If you hunt woods, it probably wonít help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #22
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Slocum View Post
Will the gps work inside an animal? A lot of the Bluetooth devices wonít work under water or inside a wet animal cavity. Will it work without phone service?

Jason Slocum
That would be the end goal, otherwise not doing it. But it cost to play the game to attempt it. I dont want to invest the time and money if people don't want the product

I can spend my money and time on hunting adventures or something else.

I would want the cost per unit to be as close to 30 to 50 dollars a unit. I think I can do it from research but I would need to sell VOLUME to make a profit and recoup investment

Plus marketing cost needed...

I mean from the responses on here. It isn't needed...but I think most responses are from older gentlemen who have been at this awhile. Be curious to see responses based on age and years of bowhunting
Old 04-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #23
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Do you bow hunt?
Many if not most times after I shoot I can see my arrow on the ground with blood on it. Even non penetrating shots often donít take the arrow with the animal to its final resting place if it dies.
What does your market research tell you that the increase in recovered animals will be with a gps that tells you where your arrow is?
No I would not use a device like this for any moneyó itís not useful to me.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #24
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I use a gps tracking device to locate wounded animals

Name:  gps.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  24.4 KB
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #25
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Donít think there would be much of a market for it. Best tracking aid is a good dog.

Eh, I love the experience of a good dog but better...I disagree. A dog takes considerable time and money to train and invest in. If hiring a tracker, you most likely will spend 200 plus, and you may still not recover.

Plus, what happens when your animal goes across property lines... maybe several property lines. I mean Texas as a whole is primarily made up of small land owners 100 acres or less.

If you are against bowhunting small properties then bowhunting will not survive as a sport.

Wouldnt it be convenient to see your deer on Joe Smith's property by looking at a satellite map? Then call Joebup and explain situation. Rather than ask 3 neighbors forvtrespassing rights to just track to Joe's property 5 hours later

By then maybe the deer meat is ruined, coyotes got it, etc

Now a dog is fun, rewarding, and great for no cell service

There are pros and cons to anything you do. Some states dont allow dogs, some states dont allow a GPS recovery device.

Public land hunting, may not want to take a dog out or be allowed to. A hunter may not have access to someone with a tracking dog
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #26
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
Do you bow hunt?
Many if not most times after I shoot I can see my arrow on the ground with blood on it. Even non penetrating shots often don’t take the arrow with the animal to its final resting place if it dies.
What does your market research tell you that the increase in recovered animals will be with a gps that tells you where your arrow is?
No I would not use a device like this for any money— it’s not useful to me.

Yes I bowhunt....yes I have lost 3 deer in my life to a broadhead hitting an opposite rib or shoulder and recovering a bloody broken arrow snapped in half. The broadhead was still in deer.

2 of 3 deer I found later from buzzards on a neighbors property.

You watch tv and every dang hunt they have to wait til morning to recover from a bad hit or unsure of hit. Even guys like public land hunter or seekone make bad shots or lose deer. Heck on one episode on public land Hunter they spent 2 days and a tracking dog but didnt recover buck.

If you want hunting to grow and bowhunting then you are going to recruit people with limited hunting or no hunting experience. There will be a learning curve

I hate that they always show a wait over night. I always wonder how often they actually eat the deer that they killed and how often the meat is ruined. Especially in a climate like Texas

Last edited by Beargrasstx; 04-04-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #27
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Eh, I love the experience of a good dog but better...I disagree. A dog takes considerable time and money to train and invest in. If hiring a tracker, you most likely will spend 200 plus, and you may still not recover.

Plus, what happens when your animal goes across property lines... maybe several property lines. I mean Texas as a whole is primarily made up of small land owners 100 acres or less.

If you are against bowhunting small properties then bowhunting will not survive as a sport.

Wouldnt it be convenient to see your deer on Joe Smith's property by looking at a satellite map? Then call Joebup and explain situation. Rather than ask 3 neighbors forvtrespassing rights to just track to Joe's property 5 hours later

By then maybe the deer meat is ruined, coyotes got it, etc

Now a dog is fun, rewarding, and great for no cell service

There are pros and cons to anything you do. Some states dont allow dogs, some states dont allow a GPS recovery device.

Public land hunting, may not want to take a dog out or be allowed to. A hunter may not have access to someone with a tracking dog
Well, sure sounds like you have your mind made up about it, so give it a go.

I’m 29, bow hunting for a few years, but probably wouldn’t use it. Brings too much technology to something that is supposed to be more primitive. Losing a deer absolutely sucks, but you can learn so much from a loss and how to avoid those mistakes in the future. It’s part of hunting.

Last edited by BigRed323; 04-04-2020 at 10:22 AM.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #28
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

I thought the technology was out a few years ago? Or did it not work out? Too expensive maybe? Not rugged enough? (maybe I had a dream that it was already out there)
Geaux for it as more folks are looking for ways to enhance their hunting experience. I am probably not in your target audience but the Back Country Hunters demographic could be.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
That would be the end goal, otherwise not doing it. But it cost to play the game to attempt it. I dont want to invest the time and money if people don't want the product

I can spend my money and time on hunting adventures or something else.

I would want the cost per unit to be as close to 30 to 50 dollars a unit. I think I can do it from research but I would need to sell VOLUME to make a profit and recoup investment

Plus marketing cost needed...

I mean from the responses on here. It isn't needed...but I think most responses are from older gentlemen who have been at this awhile. Be curious to see responses based on age and years of bowhunting
Don’t take this wrong as it’s not intended to bash:

The “old timers” have this: knowledge of the sport. Bow hunting is a close range sport of knowledge of the animal hunted and SKILL to be successful. Thant’s it. Gimmicks may add to numbers recovered... but at a toll of more lost, due to original statement. Lack of skill and knowledge of animal. Some people have these skills some don’t. Some can learn them some can’t. We don’t need more hunters.... we need better hunters. Hunters who are taught... not looking to blame an arrows weight, broadhead, lack of blood trail to be successful.

Practice more than tinker,Get close, Only take shots that are ultra high percentage shots, track or learn to track... even without blood and success rates will roar. Without a bandaid and then you have a skill to pass down to future hunters

Not hating, it’s just were I see the “industry “ headed... and it won’t have a lasting result
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Interesting, we have a lot of studs that have never lost a deer or failed to have a pass through.

When I first started bowhunting, every deer I killed went perfect. I had no idea why people lost deer. Then I had a streak where I lost a couple of does and a buck.

Started tinkering with how I was doing things and trying to be a better more ethical Hunter. Now I went from a 380 grain arrow to a 560 grain arrow this year.

We will see but I believe will make a huge difference. Yet, I think it would be nice if the industry offered an affordable solution to increase recovery on the mistakes or mistakes made by beginning bowhunter.

For hunting to expand and live, we need to get people into hunting. Something like this may be able to keep or get people in the sport.

It may help get support from those against bowhunting

But I plan on doing my best to be like a lot of you and never make a bad shot and have a 100% recovery

So this is twice you have posted an opinion thread on something you already had you mind made up on. It's the second time you've had folks not agree with you while giving valid explanations. It is also twice that you have gotten seemingly butthurt with those that didn't agree with you and started posting like the above quotes.. Maybe this internet opinion asking thing is not for you.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #31
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
So this is twice you have posted an opinion thread on something you already had you mind made up on. It's the second time you've had folks not agree with you while giving valid explanations. It is also twice that you have gotten seemingly butthurt with those that didn't agree with you and started posting like the above quotes.. Maybe this internet opinion asking thing is not for you.

Lol

Yes this was a survey. I got my answer. I'm not butthurt but I do like dialogue. If someone tells me no and then a reason like because I haven't lost a deer since 1989...well that is cool and all but c'mon. I would wager a lot of bowhunters have regrets on a shot they took or a shot they thought was perfect and didnt recover.

Or if someone states no, dog is only thing needed. I'm going to post benefits and negative to both options.

If you wouldn't buy it, that is fine. That is point of survey to know whether I want to pursue this or not. Also getting reason why not is good. I just like to offer a counter to a negative so someone reading can make up their own mind by seeing all viewpoints. No, I dont really want to do this. To big a headache but I wish someone would because I think it would benefit bowhunting as a sport. Maybe allow more landowners to decide to give people permission to bowhunt.

Only reason I offer a counter is for those guys lurking that are reading and not responding.

I know you are butthurt from heavy arrow thread a month ago. Glad you hold grudges. On that particular thread I was not asking for opinions against heavy arrows, only those with experience using them and their setup

Completely different scenario but continue to be petty. I'm sure it's good for your health. God bless you and I hope keeps you safe

Last edited by Beargrasstx; 04-04-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know you are butthurt from heavy arrow thread a month ago. Glad you hold grudges. On that particular thread I was not asking for opinions against heavy arrows, only those with experience using them and their setup

Completely different scenario but continue to be petty. I'm sure it's good for your health. God bless you and I hope keeps you safe

LMAO.....Trying to turn your butthurt around on me..... is not a good look on you.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Dude, I love you. See you on another thread of mine
Old 04-04-2020, 10:47 AM   #34
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I think it is a very niche market. Like the ultimate niche. Having said that you already had 1 hit on post #18...so who knows?

Anyone remember the game tracker system. It was a spool of really fine thread that tied to the back of your arrow and had like 500yds of line in it that you would use to track your deer. It lasted maybe a year on the market.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #35
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dude, I love you. See you on another thread of mine

You misspelled..."Yes Smart I did get butthurt...again. I'll do better next time"
Old 04-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #36
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

You'd be offering yet another gimmick to a market that's full of gimmicks. Some guys like all this stuff I guess. I'm young and haven't bow hunted much, still no interest from me. Good luck.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #37
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Cool concept but I donít think you would be able to get the gps accurate enough to make it work....especially in heavy brush
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #38
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

This has been developed about 5 years ago. Guy had a booth at large hunting show in Harrisburg Pa.
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #39
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

yeah, I don't think there is much a market for it. Especially since bow hunting is already a small pool to begin with. Not worth pursuing for me. Thanks again for responses and I gotta go help 'Momma' with the 2 crying babies.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #40
stingerslinger
Four Point

Heck I never bought any of these items. Butt out tool, nose jammer, ozonics, scent blocker gum, game tracker, scent dripper, deer scrape dirt, cough silencer, acorn cruncher, and many more. Actually thought most of them were silly. However, tons of folks will give them a try. Go for it.
stingerslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #41
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

If you believe in this concept, go with it. If you can get this to work, I'm sure you will make sales. You just have to have realistic expectations on your sales, marketing costs and profit. There is nothing wrong with having a hobby business. Where I hunt there is no cell coverage. But, in other states that might not be the issue. With the other companies that have tried this venture, you may be able to buy there company or patent and be able to hit the ground running.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #42
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I probably wouldn't invest in it, but it would have been nice to use a couple years ago. Shot a good boar a little high. Found the back half of the arrow and a light blood trail. Wouldn't have looked for several hours if I could look on the map and see he was headed towards the county line. Couple weeks later I saw him on camera with a bald spot where he'd been licking his wound. Depending on the battery life, I would have known when and where to set up to take another shot. I'm pretty sure I still have the same boar coming in, but he's gotten to hard to pattern. Good luck, if you decide to pursue.
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #43
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Yes I bowhunt....yes I have lost 3 deer in my life to a broadhead hitting an opposite rib or shoulder and recovering a bloody broken arrow snapped in half. The broadhead was still in deer.

2 of 3 deer I found later from buzzards on a neighbors property.

You watch tv and every dang hunt they have to wait til morning to recover from a bad hit or unsure of hit. Even guys like public land hunter or seekone make bad shots or lose deer. Heck on one episode on public land Hunter they spent 2 days and a tracking dog but didnt recover buck.

If you want hunting to grow and bowhunting then you are going to recruit people with limited hunting or no hunting experience. There will be a learning curve

I hate that they always show a wait over night. I always wonder how often they actually eat the deer that they killed and how often the meat is ruined. Especially in a climate like Texas

I appreciate where youíre coming from and if you get an answer to my question Iíd for sure be interested in the follow up.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #44
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

No because I would hope the arrow was a passthru.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top