Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett
Default Okay school me on golf...

Iím in my second year of work in the office. The guys at the office all go and play and go out with the clients. Iíve tried to learn before on some of my grandfathers clubs (heís 5í10) Iím 6í4Ē. I played one complete round, and never picked it up again.

How much would I be looking at to get a set of clubs and bag and anything else I would need just for a decent set up? Iím not looking to be a pro but just be able to go out and not embarrass myself while drinking beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
ByronB
Ten Point

Cheap set of clubs. Practice weekly. You will be decent. Buy plenty of golf balls.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Golf is a blast. I can only think of 10,000 things I would rather do.
I take my clients hunting and fishing...
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
futureagg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Golf is a blast. I can only think of 10,000 things I would rather do.
I take my clients hunting and fishing...

Why I had joined the oil field. Thought thatís more of what we would be doing, but we deal with more financing banks for oil companies who like to play golf.

I actually enjoyed golf and would like to learn to play more during the off season of hunting

Old 12-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
futureagg
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Cheap set of clubs. Practice weekly. You will be decent. Buy plenty of golf balls.

Any recommendations on clubs?

Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #6
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureagg View Post
Why I had joined the oil field. Thought thatís more of what we would be doing, but we deal with more financing banks for oil companies who like to play golf.

I actually enjoyed golf and would like to learn to play more during the off season of hunting

Thankfully I deal with real men.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #7
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

You can find used clubs all over the place...check craigslist or Facebook marketplace if you have am acct. Lots of people take up golf only to find it frustrating and sell their barely used equipment. I love golf, although my back doesnt like me playing much anymore. Get some real lessons and save ya a little frustration at the beginning!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #8
crash8005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking for a lease

At 6'4" your clubs really should be fit to you. I believe standard loft/lie are designed for someone around 5'10". If you are serious about learning you need to get a few lessons and clubs that fit. That doesn't mean that they have to be expensive. You can find some few year old forged irons and have them bent and only be in for a few hundred.

If clubs don't fit, you won't hit it pure. That will get frustrating in a hurry and cause you to correct mis-hits by adjusting parts of your swing, creating bad habits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
crash8005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #9
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Is there a PGA Superstore near you? I believe they have been running a special on lessons. Cut you a deal on some lessons. Tell them youíre going to try to get better and get some free time in the nets and on the computer.
At your first lesson youíll learn the basics of grip, stance, posture and swing. When the pro puts your hands on the grip that is what you want to do every time.
I donít know about the setup on your clubs. Also depending on hand size you may need to have your grips built up a little. Ping has a chart and measuring station in most stores. Get fitted for Ping or any other clubs and get the Pro to write down what you need. They have used clubs and that may be the route to go now. Donít commit or buy anything now but if you like the Pro there then give him some business later on by buying your clubs from him.
If you have any kind of athletic ability you should be able to shoot in the 80ís by the Summer and maybe lower. Just donít go out and drink beer and flail away at it. Practice with a purpose.
Another thing, anyone should be able to be a good putter. Send me some video and I can teach you how to putt.

If you are on campus, go by the golf course and maybe the Pro there can help you. Good luck
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 01:29 AM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Get drunk and drive the golf cart around and watch people golf. That's pretty much your safest bet if you want to have any fun. But if you decide to don't do it sober. If you take that game very seriously at all it sucks. Unless of course you're Tiger Woods and there's all these chicks getting naked for ya then it's probably pretty fun.

Who wants to go walk after a white ball all day without seeing your drunk buddy miss the ball three times and toss his club into the trees? Nobody.......

Last edited by okrattler; 12-14-2019 at 01:31 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 02:04 AM   #11
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Get clubs you can sell.Ping,Big Bertha,Titleist,etc..You'll probably wanna upgrade,or try new clubs.I trade clubs like I trade guns.The lessons are a good idea.If you have a buddy that's a good golfer ask him to go to the range with ya.It's a fun sport/game.I don't take it real serious,and enjoy going to new courses.I'd play in a four man scramble once a week if I could.They're a blast.Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #12
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I would look for a used set of name brand clubs because they will hold a resale value better in the event you donít keep them. Ping is one of the easiest to get custom fit for IMO if you go new. For a brand new complete set (drivers, irons, putter, bag etc) you are prob looking in the neighborhood of 2500-3k depending on brand. Prices may have gone up since the last time I looked. If you piece together a used set you might be able to cut that in half is my guess. I think my dad may have a fairly new set he may sell if you are interested shoot me a dm. He is 6í3Ē so they should be pretty close for you.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #13
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

Go to a golf store and find a set of used clubs (Driver thru putter).
  • Note: Will likely be different name brands

Take lessons

Practice

Have fun
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #14
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Golf is much like archery. Fitted equipment and much practice with exactly the same equipment . I don't have time for that. Folks I know have really gotten addicted though. Great way to network.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Just dont go to the course dressed like a pga tour player and hack it up like a below average weekender.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Iím in the oil and gas sector
I used to play golf and then I started really asking guys (customers) about other ďoutingsĒ now I have regular hunts and fishing trips and I get WAY more mileage out of those than I ever did on a golf course
Not saying golf is a bad idea but donít think that all oil and gas guys are just golfers and itís good to be the guy that brings something different to the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
davidamfan
Six Point

Hunt In: West Texas & Old Mexico

Drive for show Putt for dough.
davidamfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #18
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Golf...Billiards played on hundreds of acres in funny pants
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #19
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ncs View Post
Is there a PGA Superstore near you? I believe they have been running a special on lessons. Cut you a deal on some lessons. Tell them youíre going to try to get better and get some free time in the nets and on the computer.
At your first lesson youíll learn the basics of grip, stance, posture and swing. When the pro puts your hands on the grip that is what you want to do every time.
I donít know about the setup on your clubs. Also depending on hand size you may need to have your grips built up a little. Ping has a chart and measuring station in most stores. Get fitted for Ping or any other clubs and get the Pro to write down what you need. They have used clubs and that may be the route to go now. Donít commit or buy anything now but if you like the Pro there then give him some business later on by buying your clubs from him.
If you have any kind of athletic ability you should be able to shoot in the 80ís by the Summer and maybe lower. Just donít go out and drink beer and flail away at it. Practice with a purpose.
Another thing, anyone should be able to be a good putter. Send me some video and I can teach you how to putt.

If you are on campus, go by the golf course and maybe the Pro there can help you. Good luck
Listen to this man. I wish he would have made the putting offer to me.

Also, if you are going to suck, then suck fast. Nothing worse than the guy who isnt very good but takes 10 practices swings before hitting every terrible shot. Take one or two(at the most) to release some tension, line up your shot, get over the ball and hit it.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #20
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

This is good for anyone "Also, if you are going to suck, then suck fast. Nothing worse than the guy who isnt very good but takes 10 practices swings before hitting every terrible shot. Take one or two(at the most) to release some tension, line up your shot, get over the ball and hit it."
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #21
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

Also, if you are going to suck, then suck fast. Nothing worse than the guy who isnt very good but takes 10 practices swings before hitting every terrible shot. Take one or two(at the most) to release some tension, line up your shot, get over the ball and hit it.[/QUOTE]x1000
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I almost was a professional golfer but the hole was never close to where my ball landed. Been chasing holes my whole life.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #23
JSAPP
Pope & Young

Start with good equipment and have them fitted to you. Take lessons early before you develop bad habits. Be prepared to be frustrated a lot!!! lol It's a pure game.
JSAPP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #24
jaker_cc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb Ct., Karnes Ct.

Just remember people have played their whole lives and still not been any good, golf is a tough game. Your best bet is to find your swing and ball flight and play it. It doesnít have to be pretty if all you want to do is go out and have a good time. Good contact over distance all day long, and remember that no one minds playing with a bad golfer as long as they are bad and fast. Nothing worse than a hack that stands over the ball for 45 seconds and shanks it. I play about 4 days a week when itís not hunting season and get a lot of deals done on the course. Remember to have fun and that you are paying money to basically frustrate yourself for a few years.
jaker_cc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
steve morton
Ten Point

Game of opposites, you aim, swing steady not hard and keep your head down.
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #26
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Take lessons. Safe yourself time and frustration. Trust me
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #27
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Sounds like you are just wanting a decent set of sticks, hit the ball solid every now and then and have a good time with friends. My son will give you an hour lesson if interested. He use to compete and is pretty dang good. He taught my non golf playing butt how to hit a ball straight and that's saying something. You will learn alot in that hour. He's in the Conroe area so not far from you. Shoot me a PM if interested and I will get you in contact with him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #28
Walker
Ten Point

T it high and hit it long.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #29
brents45
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, hill country

Lot of good advice on this thread. Fitted clubs, Lessons, practice, practice.
If you want new irons that are knock offs of major brands, try Giga Golf. They have a fitting page on their web site. You can literally buy new or used clubs from them and they are easy to talk to. You can buy a set of irons for about $150, putter $35, driver $200 and three wood $60. You can get set up there fairly cheap with fitted clubs. I hit name brand woods, Ping G410 driver, Taylor made fairway wood, Cleveland Rescue, but I bought my irons from Giga Golf and they work good.
brents45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #30
17ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post

Also, if you are going to suck, then suck fast. Nothing worse than the guy who isnt very good but takes 10 practices swings before hitting every terrible shot. Take one or two(at the most) to release some tension, line up your shot, get over the ball and hit it.
Iíve just about forgotten the sting of that joke you told about building a Wal-Mart between your drive and mine... So I may be ready to take a look at some of your tape.

FutureAgg, if youíre close to Sugarland you should play a round with RTP. Heís about as good as they come tee to green. He is also about your height and hits it an absolute mile and straight, but send your putting tape to me.
17ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #31
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Some good advice on this thread.

I would highly recommend taking a couple lessons from a certified instructor such as a Golf pro at a local course or even some of the big box retail stores employ one. I'm just talking 2-3 lessons; for a foundation. People will tell you that practice is important for golf; well, practicing a bad swing or bad habit is just as bad as not practicing at all.

I also agree with some of the earlier comments that solid contact and distance is more important than precision accuracy. Getting the ball down the fairway in or at least close to being in play can make a round of golf much less stressful.

As for clubs, there are tons of barely used clubs on the market. I'd say the OP's primary issue is being 6'4''. Professionally fitted clubs will make your game better, but there's probably less used ones out there for someone that tall.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #32
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:

I keep forgetting you are in sugar land. We need to play sometime.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #33
JHT
Pope & Young

Be sure to tell the people your playing with that you are a beginner so any advice is appreciated. Trying to BS up your game beforehand 100% of the time will show on the first hole.

You can go hit range balls for a week and feel comfortable with your progress and go play 18 and you might shoot 145 wondering what went wrong. It happens.

When you go play and you think you have plenty of balls double the amount. No one likes the guy who spends 15 minutes looking for a ball that went 40 yards into the woods cause its his last ball. Drop another and hit.

If its your intention to play buzzed get to the course early and pound a few beers before you tee off. Golf is all about consistency.

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #34
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Learn old man golf. They swing slow but dang if the ball doesnt go straight every time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #35
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Practice your 100 yards and in shots . Your score will look a lot better if you can master a good short game .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #36
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere!

I use to play a round every week when I was in the corporate world. I started off with a cheap set of Wilson Prostaff's and learned to not suck at a cheap course not far from my house. There was a guy at the club house that did lessons and he charged $75 for 9 holes of golf. I had a set of Mizunos fitted for me and I loved them. Kinda pricey but I had some great games with them.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #37
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8005 View Post
At 6'4" your clubs really should be fit to you. I believe standard loft/lie are designed for someone around 5'10". If you are serious about learning you need to get a few lessons and clubs that fit. That doesn't mean that they have to be expensive. You can find some few year old forged irons and have them bent and only be in for a few hundred.

If clubs don't fit, you won't hit it pure. That will get frustrating in a hurry and cause you to correct mis-hits by adjusting parts of your swing, creating bad habits.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This. My Dad is 6' 5" and he has to get extension put in for the shaft length. Get to a Pro-shop, give them your budget, and have exertions put in.

There is a PGA Tour Superstore in the Woodlands, and not to far from them is a Golf Galaxy. Golf Galaxy is owned by ****'s who bought out Golf Smith. And south of you in tomball is the Golf Nut Store.

You're going to need some beginner lessons
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #38
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
I’m in my second year of work in the office. The guys at the office all go and play and go out with the clients. I’ve tried to learn before on some of my grandfathers clubs (he’s 5’10) I’m 6’4”. I played one complete round, and never picked it up again.

How much would I be looking at to get a set of clubs and bag and anything else I would need just for a decent set up? I’m not looking to be a pro but just be able to go out and not embarrass myself while drinking beer.

Unless you are gonna take lessons don't do it. If you take lessons, get your clubs fitted to you. If you don't do these 2 things you will be wasting your time.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #39
Guardian Reaper
Six Point

Start with putting and work your way back.
Guardian Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Golf is the devil
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #41
Slicefixer
Six Point

Hunt In: KS, AR, TX,LA

LOTS of GREAT advice in this thread....👍

You're VERY correct in that golf can GREATLY help your business career. You wouldn't believe the people I've met through golf, etc.

You're 6' 4".....trying to fit yourself into clubs designed for somebody 5' 10" is foolhardy and a recipe for failure. You'll most probably need +1/2" to 1" over standard length.... there are several variables involved....long arms and long legs? Short arms and short legs? Etc etc etc.

HOW are you going to release the club? (square it at impact) With your pivot rotation or your arms and hands? (BIG difference in the appropriate lie angle)

You can purchase a quality set of used clubs off of eBay (or any number of online sites) for a fraction of new. Do yourself a favor and purchase forged irons. The lie angle can easily be adjusted to you and the tendencies you'll develop within your golfswing as it forms over time. Mizuno leads the way in forged irons, but, Titleist/Taylor Made/Callaway etc are all high quality irons. Ping are a PAIN to adjust as the vast majority are investment cast so they are very brittle and VERY difficult to bend. I have a machine that, with a lot of heat, I have successfully bent them up to 4 or 5 degrees. However I'm puckered up the whole time and have snapped several over the years. +/- a couple of degrees is very doable, but, still a pain. So I'd HIGHLY advise going forged.....

The clubs can also be easily extended and the grips increased in size, etc. YOU could do it in your garage with ease and a lil bit of study. I was doing it to my own clubs, and a bunch of members at the course I grew up playing, at 12 years old. It's NO big deal....and you'll save a bunch of bucks.

As for instruction, I HIGHLY advise seeking out COMPETENT instruction. At the very least learn how to grip the club, distribute your weight, and set your body up on angles that give you a chance to develop yourself successfully. You NEED to understand a few VERY simple concepts. That way you can conceive/visualize and, in SLOOOOOOOOW motion, FEEL what you're trying to perform. (then gradually speed it up, etc).If you played baseball, hockey, or tennis at a reasonable level then you've got a HUGE advantage over most IF you receive competent instruction.

Unfortunately, quality instruction is in short supply with tons of charlatans and false prophets in the world (especially on the internet) If the instructor couldn't play at a reasonable level and hasn't produced, from scratch, numerous quality players then I'd shy away from them. (Most didn't and haven't) Would you take piano lessons from somebody who couldn't play a piano at a high level?? So perform a bit of due diligence before choosing who to listen to in regards to your golf.

Learn the basic rules.....etiquette....and don't jack *** around, play the game efficiently. You don't have to run, but, be respectful of others.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd learn how to strike the ball with reasonable competence FIRST, then go to the course. Otherwise you'll more than likely sentence yourself to hacking it around, delaying play for others, lose a bunch of golf balls, and fail miserably.....and spend a bunch of money in the process.

Great fortune to you in your golf journey! I hope you'll stick with it....

It's a VERY difficult game (perhaps the MOST difficult) and, at times, VERY frustrating. However, it's VERY doable if you receive quality instruction, with properly fitted equipment, and with an attitude of GREAT patience, perseverance, and passion.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Slicefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #42
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos
Default Okay school me on golf...

Thereís some decent advice on here. If I was just starting out learning golf thereís absolutely zero doubt in the clubs that Iíd use.

Get Cobra ONEs. All of your irons are the same length which means you just learn one swing(7 iron). New golfers whoíve gone this route get much better MUCH faster than with traditional length irons.

Get fitted for a set of Cobra ONEs, but them and get lessons. Thatís it.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #43
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
I keep forgetting you are in sugar land. We need to play sometime.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Im actually out in Fulshear now and a member of Weston Lakes. So give me a holler if you can get out this way. Especially after hunting season.....my golf rounds will increase to about 3xweek. Dont listen to anything 17NCS says, Im playing to an 8 handicap right now so Im not too good. I do play fast so there is that.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #44
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I hit 5,000 balls on the range before I ever stepped foot on a golf course.

Hit that sob hard....if youíre gonna take a drop, take it way down there!

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #45
bradleymccaw
Spike

Hunt In: North&Central Tx

Most golf shops sell used clubs, however, they're normally marked up more. I would say go to facebook marketplace and find a set of clubs. Try to find some cavity backed irons(most forgiving, but lack finesse ability). I am also 6'4 and mine are all extended an 1", but that is all depending on arm length. Getting fitted somewhere may also be a good idea.
bradleymccaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #46
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im actually out in Fulshear now and a member of Weston Lakes. So give me a holler if you can get out this way. Especially after hunting season.....my golf rounds will increase to about 3xweek. Dont listen to anything 17NCS says, Im playing to an 8 handicap right now so Im not too good. I do play fast so there is that.

Sure will man Iíve played a couple tournaments out there a while back. Nice course.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #47
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Any recommendations on clubs?

google Callaway used clubs. They have resale on certified clubs. Some are ugly as sin, but very forgiving.

However, a bad shot is a bad shot.

Get Ben Hogans "Five fundamentals" paper back. Read and apply, just don't apply "his personal modifications". Some will tell you it will create slices, but that is if you apply his "weak grip" which he clearly states is his personal mod.

Almost every pro golfer has read or keeps that book around.
When you start striking the ball decently, you can stray from the fundamentals ever so cautiously. Advancing the ball and keeping it in play is paramount.

Oh yeah, try to learn to hit ball first before earth, irons are meant to hit on the descent, not try to help ball into air by hitting up.

Chipping and putting can really save the strokes.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top