Is TP&W too tuff on Bowhunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is TP&W too tuff on Bowhunters?

Hunted Gus Engling last week, saw 8 deer from the stand in 4 days, 2 of which I wanted to shoot but after orentation was scared to do so. The wording they used was equal to or outside the ear tips. My question is, should TP&W ease the restrictions for bowhunters. Here is why I ask, they told us at orentation the average 21/2 year old buck has a spread of 131/2" and the average spread of the ear tips at Gus were 13". They told us a deer to every 12 acres. Take out the fawns and bucks under 14", well you get the picture, not many legal deer by their standards for us to try to harvest. I think they said the buck to doe ratio was 3.75 does to every buck. It almost seems they do not want us to shoot any bucks. I understand the management thing but I bet if they said any buck was legal, 50 bowhunters would not effect the deer herd at all on buck harvest. Also is 8 deer from the stand in 4 days on one of these TP&W hunts good, bad, or average?

I too hunted the GE archery hunt, section Q. I'm not much of a 'morning' hunter so mostly hunted in the middle of the days thru after dark, tweaking my stand location almost daily. I saw overall 4 bucks, 23 does total.
    I hit a spike on the 3rd day and watched him get dragged down by a pack of about 15 coyotes.........which is beside the point.
    Seeing 8 deer is better than the average hunter I believe on public land and NOT knowing the total overall deer movement and terrain of the area. (I've hunted Q for several years and am real familiar with the area I was in and wanted to hunt!)....
    I was mostly disappointed in the TWPD cutting down to only 1 archery hunt instead of 2 or 3 like they normally have. I was happy to hear they would allow us to shoot coyotes as they've been a problem for several years now (I think).
    I was also unhappy with the fact that a gun hunt was allowed before we were.......but overall I am happy with the way the personnel and GUS ENGELING is handled and run..........!!

Comment

That had to be a sight to see your deer get taken by yotes. That is the first time I ever even heard of that happening.

Comment

I think that GE put their emphasis on the doe harvest this year. That is why, I think, they eliminated the 2nd Archery Hunt this year, so they could add a doe/spike hunt. I think they also only have one gun hunt again this year and a total of 4 doe/spike hunts plus the youth hunt. I don't have my book handy but I think that is fairly accurate.

Comment

Ihaven't counted how many gun hunts they're having this year but also got the impression that they are attempting to balance the doe\buck ration a bit.
          I am drawn for another hunt=the doe\spike hunt on 12-12 for 2 1\2 days.
          If I'm lucky enough to get the same area I love to hunt, then I KNOW I can make a dent in the doe population for that section! And with a varmint call maybe a few coyotes too!
          I know the EXACT tree to set up in!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
            I That is why, I think, they eliminated the 2nd Archery Hunt this year, so they could add a doe/spike hunt.
            Nope!
            I asked them why and he told me that the reason they cut the # of permits as well as other WMA's was because nobody was applying for them. And he told me on top of that, those who would get drawn, half wouldn't send in the money.
            As far as the youth hunt being first this year at GE, they wanted to get a jump start on the doe harvest. They want to take 194 does off from there. They begged my boy to shoot a 3rd doe when he made the comment of wanting to wait out for a spike. We did see a 8 pt that was border line but we also saw a 10 pt that was well past his ears and heavy and tall. I didn't get a pic of him but did get him on video!!!

Comment

Hunted Gus Engling last week, saw 8 deer from the stand in 4 days, 2 of which I wanted to shoot but after orentation was scared to do so. The wording they used was equal to or outside the ear tips. My question is, should TP&W ease the restrictions for bowhunters. Here is why I ask, they told us at orentation the average 21/2 year old buck has a spread of 131/2" and the average spread of the ear tips at Gus were 13". They told us a deer to every 12 acres. Take out the fawns and bucks under 14", well you get the picture, not many legal deer by their standards for us to try to harvest. I think they said the buck to doe ratio was 3.75 does to every buck. It almost seems they do not want us to shoot any bucks. I understand the management thing but I bet if they said any buck was legal, 50 bowhunters would not effect the deer herd at all on buck harvest. Also is 8 deer from the stand in 4 days on one of these TP&W hunts good, bad, or average?
              I don't think they're being too tough you could have shot a doe or spike right? At richland creek just down the road they told us the bucks needed to be 15" inside spread so they were being easier on yall.

Nope!
              I asked them why and he told me that the reason they cut the # of permits as well as other WMA's was because nobody was applying for them. And he told me on top of that, those who would get drawn, half wouldn't send in the money.
              I could be wrong but I think that is BS, I'm not familiar with how many apply at GE but at richland creek they had a full house last year so that explanation won't fly there.

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by ShockValue
                I That is why, I think, they eliminated the 2nd Archery Hunt this year, so they could add a doe/spike hunt.

Nope!
                As far as the youth hunt being first this year at GE, they wanted to get a jump start on the doe harvest. They want to take 194 does off from there. They begged my boy to shoot a 3rd doe when he made the comment of wanting to wait out for a spike. We did see a 8 pt that was border line but we also saw a 10 pt that was well past his ears and heavy and tall. I didn't get a pic of him but did get him on video!!!
                You know if they would advertise the available stand-by positions, like on TPWD.com I don't think they would have any problem filling up the empty spots. There used to be a guy whose handle was beleg that would post some of the stand-by positions available for the draw hunts on here but I haven't noticed him post in awhile.

Comment

Call them to find out about the stand by positions! I"ve called them several times over the years to find out about standbys and they've been more than helpful!
                  And whatever the reasons they've cut back on archery slots, if people aren't applying for them then I guess I"ll have to promote it more for people to go!

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post

I could be wrong but I think that is BS, I'm not familiar with how many apply at GE but at richland creek they had a full house last year so that explanation won't fly there.
                    I'm just repeating what was told to me.
                    I too was at RC last year and they had a few stand-by spots as well.
                    At GE on my son's hunt, they had 13 spots open. Only had 2 show up for stand bys. And this was a FREE hunt.
                    What burns me is people will apply and never intend on huntin it if they get drawn, which cuts into my chances. At the first of the year when I have to schedule my vacation, I'm already trying to figure out where to put in for the draw so I'll have the time off. If I don't get drawn, I'll call to see how many stand bys they will have. I did that at RC this year. They said come on, have plenty of stand by spots. But on the day of the hunt, my water pump went out.
                    On that note, can you still show up as a stand by a day after the hunt starts??

Comment

At GE last week they told me that on the upcoming doe and spike hunts they have at least 20 stan-bys for each hunt. No one comenting on the number of deer seen while on a TP&W hunt????? He also told us that the reason GE only had 1 bow hunt was to allow for additional doe spike hunt, they are trying to get the herd from 1 deer to 12 acres to a deer to 20 acres. I did get a hoss of a 10 point on my game camera, I got out of my stand at 7pm and the picture was at 9:50pm. Bummer

Comment

This is my first year hunting in texas I am wondering if yall know of any good draws I can put in, I am looking for somewhere atleast 3 hrs from Denton, tx and I only use a bow so if yall could help me out finding a draw hunt I can apply for next year or even this year it would be great. Thanks AJ gauge46@msn.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ferg View Post
                          No one comenting on the number of deer seen while on a TP&W hunt?????
                          I see a lot of deer on these hunts. But then, I like the "compartment" hunts. That's when I see alot of deer. But you have to do your homework. And just in the past 4 years, I'm seeing some really good bucks.

Comment

What burns me is people will apply and never intend on huntin it if they get drawn, which cuts into my chances.
                            True I hear the # of out of state applicant increases every year. I wish they would have a second drawing or fill spots of the people who don't pay for the permit fee by the deadline, like hagerman does.

Comment

Working...
                            X