LBJ Update as of Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Update as of Friday

Well boys and girls.....I went in Monday afternoon with the intent of having a 'hunter free' hunt and I must say it was quiet out there!
    I camped in the 900 block on the old pipeline that connects to the backside of Black Creek. It was fairly clean but you know how the horses and cows leave the campsites!
    I returned home this Friday afternoon.
    Total count: 34 deer, 1 coyote. 7 bucks ranging from a spike to a nice 8 that would probably go about 120-.....
    I won't say what sections I was hunting but I also found 3 really really good and brand new rub lines and SCRAPES TOO.......!! Fresh, big wet ones so the bucks are beginning to heat up and make their activities known!
    I didn't even shoot once and the closest was maybe 7 yards.....of course we all know the real work begins when you arrow the animal and I was just tired from climbing the trees!
    You all have a good one out there and be careful. I'm not sure if I can make it again anytime real soon. Have a couple of commercials I have to get to work on.
    Later.....Pat

Thanks for the report Pat. Mighty nice of ya .

Comment

Great to hear from ya Pat!!!

I've been really busy lateley, and even turned down doing a Fly By at the Texas A&M Vs. Kansas game due to a project.

I wanted to do it, just so I can add "did a fly by at kick off during an A&M game" to my "Cool crap I've done" list, but man you've got me hooked on da videos man!!!!!

Comment

Wish I could get some time like that! I did go to Davy Crockett this weekend though..saw a big doe this morning but couldnt get a shot

Comment

Dang, I'm doing something wrong! I've only seen maybe a dozen deer since I started hunting there a few years ago. But I know what it is, lack of time in the woods...

Comment

Davey Crockett is real good I camped at rock hole campsite #3 and I seen probably 10 does and 4 bucks 2 of them where good 140 class. maybe 130's but they where on a boys hunting camp deer lease about 75 yards in and I dont break the law.

Comment

I hope to see something in LBJ like pat saw I am gonna have to really do some scouting.

Comment

i dont know what y'all are doing wrong....i had at least a half dozen walk RIGHT under my tree stand on tuesday night (at about 6:45, PRIME TIME)......there was one ALL black "11" point, 2 albino females, 3 brown females, and a couple yearlings.......

Comment

Originally posted by cmelara View Post
                  i dont know what y'all are doing wrong....i had at least a half dozen walk RIGHT under my tree stand on tuesday night (at about 6:45, PRIME TIME)......there was one ALL black "11" point, 2 albino females, 3 brown females, and a couple yearlings.......

At LBJ? man...

Like i said, it's just a severe lack of time spent in the woods.

argh

Comment

Here do I go to get a permit to hunt there?

Comment

No Permit needed

State hunting license only. Bucks only during the general gun season unless drawn for doe tags. The drawing for doe tags has already been held for the upcoming season. Hunter orange hat and vest required during general gun season. Archery season, no antlerless permit or orange required. Archery, shotgun (slug or buckshot), and muzzleloader only. No off road vehicle use. Stands can be in place no more than 72 hours. Call the LBJ District Office at (940) 627-5475. The ladies there can answer all your question.

Comment

Me and my brother spent Sat afternoon exploring a new unit. Found some of the best sign I've seen, a few good rubs. I'm not sure how recent they were, they had dried up, but the scrapings/bark were on the leaves below the rubs. One scrape as well.

We setup for the evening sit but to no avail. I saw a deer come by around 7:25 or so, after legal shooting, too dark to identify buck/doe, but it was nice to see one. If the wind hadn't died down I probably wouldn't have heard it, and probably never have seen it either.

Comment

Spent the weekend hunting. Friday night I sat in an area I have seen does run through but never seen one. Saturday morning found me in another unit, about 7:25 a.m. I saw a deer to the right of me, it was a buck. I watch as he came out of the woods and stayed behind a limb and never offered me a shot. Later I saw a couple more deer and heard the woods in front of me go crazy with deer blowing like crazy. They ran and kept blowing as that was the last of the deer that morning. I didn't see anything the rest of the weekend wind was to strong.

Comment

Well thanks to longstick I am getting a very light climber about 15 pounds for pat mayse and LBJ, so now hopefully I can walk about a mile into the woods with a light stand then carrying a 50 pound home made piece of steel threw the woods before I would get to 50 yards I would be sweating up a storm now maybe I can take some more of the whitetail senses away them elusive suckers. I will be hitting up LBJ hard next couple weeks cause if I remember correclty last day of bow season is Nov. 3rd? Correct me if I am wrong please. After LBJ bow season is over I will hunt some but mostly scout for next year there hopefully run across a buck. Nov. 20th I will be hunting Pat Mayse from there on out for the rest of the season except for hog I will hunt on lake ray roberts and turkey I will hunt at LBJ and Caddo. Well that stuff is not really related to the topic but oh well had to get it off my mind.

Comment

you can bowhunt all the way through general season.

Comment

Working...
                              X