Black Gap WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Gap WMA

Got drwan for Javelina at Black Gap WMA and wondering if anyone else has been out there. Any info would be good. For example in early January what to to take as far as clothes, what to watch out for, how they conduct the hunts, etc..

Thanks,
    Steve

I hunted there last year and got the deer you see in my photo. Wear warm cloths and a good pair of boots. It is very rough with lots of rocks and things that will poke you. Lots of javelina there and you will need to be a good shot at 40 to 50 yards. Try too sit up on a water supply and you should get one.

Comment

never hunted there, but camped for 2 weeks a few years ago...saw lots of javelinas though...it got really cold at night, but warmed up pretty significantly during the day...good boots is a must...like slingblade said, lots of things that will poke you...watch where you grab, kneel down, sit, etc...should be lots of fun though...good luck

oh yeah, not sure how the hunts will be, but if it is hike spot/stalk type hunt, make sure to bring plenty of water and some MRE's...

Comment

I was drawn for the deer hunt last year and , I didn't see that many deer but I saw a lot javelina and all at water holes.

Comment

Hey Kennyelp. We hunted at the same time together last year. I am sure we saw each other.

Comment

We got drawn last year, but ended up not getting to go due to family Christmas plans.

Comment

Black Gap is one of the roughest places that I know of to hunt.

You will need both warm weather clothes and really cold weather clothes. The Temperature can very greatly during the month of Jan.

Make sure that you have your binos with you and keep your ears open, because often times you can hear a group of Javies feeding in the distance even though you can see them.
              Also, make sure you bring something to get under while in camp. There are no trees big enough for any kind of shade.

Let us know how it turns out.

They usually hunt by compartments.

Comment

I hunted the mulie/javelina bow hunt at the end of October. You will be given a compartment where you can tent-camp. This place is awesome! I was the only hunter who didn't see any javelina & I was the only one who wanted to kill one!

Prepare for all types of weather. I didn't hunt the water holes...maybe I should have.

I can't wait to go back.

Comment

Also, you might bring some extra gas. It's a long way to the gas station!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X