Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Hill Country Shootout Roll Call (Vanderpool)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great time

This was the first shoot for me and my buddy, Mike. We teamed up with a group of three who were grandfather, father, and son. Three generations! Buddy, 80; Chuck, 60's; and Cody, 30's. Great fellows all!

The shoot was very challenging for us, but I broke only two arrows the first day shooting my Omega longbow. The Growing Rocks Ranch is an apt name, as there were in abundance. Most shots were uphill, or downhill or across a creek and most with obstacles in your lane. At most, I practice from 20 yards, so this was tough. I was very surprised to hit the buffalo at fifty yards! Mike hit it also. Good times.

Day two we could shoot only a half round due to time limitations. We teamed up with Rob and Paul. Two very nice fellows from San Antonio and Georgetown respectively. Mike volunteered to pull all arrows for this group as they were a little longer in tooth than the two of us.

Two gents stopped and talked to Rob and Paul, and one of them felt familiar to me. He was none other than the infamous Bisch, with one of the best shooters around, Rusty. After they walked off, I asked Rob if that was Bisch, to which he replied in the affirmitive. I went back down trail and introduced myself to both of them.

As I suspected, everyone lived up to my expectations that trad folks are fun-loving, salt -of-the-earth people that you can trust to have a wonderful time!

Much thanks to the folks that put this together, TBOT. I am now a proud member. And great to have met some fine people. We will be attending many more!

Comment

Originally posted by twillgo View Post
      This was the first shoot for me and my buddy, Mike. We teamed up with a group of three who were grandfather, father, and son. Three generations! Buddy, 80; Chuck, 60's; and Cody, 30's. Great fellows all!

The shoot was very challenging for us, but I broke only two arrows the first day shooting my Omega longbow. The Growing Rocks Ranch is an apt name, as there were in abundance. Most shots were uphill, or downhill or across a creek and most with obstacles in your lane. At most, I practice from 20 yards, so this was tough. I was very surprised to hit the buffalo at fifty yards! Mike hit it also. Good times.

Day two we could shoot only a half round due to time limitations. We teamed up with Rob and Paul. Two very nice fellows from San Antonio and Georgetown respectively. Mike volunteered to pull all arrows for this group as they were a little longer in tooth than the two of us.

Two gents stopped and talked to Rob and Paul, and one of them felt familiar to me. He was none other than the infamous Bisch, with one of the best shooters around, Rusty. After they walked off, I asked Rob if that was Bisch, to which he replied in the affirmitive. I went back down trail and introduced myself to both of them.

As I suspected, everyone lived up to my expectations that trad folks are fun-loving, salt -of-the-earth people that you can trust to have a wonderful time!

Much thanks to the folks that put this together, TBOT. I am now a proud member. And great to have met some fine people. We will be attending many more!
      So you got to meet Fuzzydog and Bluegoose!!! They are great folks. I shot with them at my first ever 3D shoot as well. That Bisch fella is alright too. Did you know all those rocks are put there for him?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Another great Hill Country Shootout is in the books!

This year might be my favorite so far. As usual it was challenging and all the people were awesome. I shared my Saturday round with Rusty and Bisch and Sunday with my buddy and bowyer Mike Palmer.

I mean who could ask to shoot with better people than this???

I learned a lot and laughed a ton!

One thing I learned and this is no Joke!! ..... When Rusty gets to the stake to shoot the wind WOULD DIE!!! It could be blowing 30 knots and then his foot would touch the stake --- no wind. I touch the stake and the wind would crank back up to 30. I just blew my mind!

A HUGE thanks to eveyone that made this shoot possible!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          Another great Hill Country Shootout is in the books!

This year might be my favorite so far. As usual it was challenging and all the people were awesome. I shared my Saturday round with Rusty and Bisch and Sunday with my buddy and bowyer Mike Palmer.

I mean who could ask to shoot with better people than this???

I learned a lot and laughed a ton!

One thing I learned and this is no Joke!! ..... When Rusty gets to the stake to shoot the wind WOULD DIE!!! It could be blowing 30 knots and then his foot would touch the stake --- no wind. I touch the stake and the wind would crank back up to 30. I just blew my mind!

A HUGE thanks to eveyone that made this shoot possible!!!!!
          I would pay good money for rusty to just stand and hold my booth, that wind was BREEZY...

Comment

Nan and I already have reservations for 2018

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              So you got to meet Fuzzydog and Bluegoose!!! They are great folks. I shot with them at my first ever 3D shoot as well. That Bisch fella is alright too. Did you know all those rocks are put there for him?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
              SwampRabbit,

Is that Rob and Paul?

I didn't get any TBH handles from the folks that I met.

Comment

Something to think about for next year, it was decided at our officers meeting that anyone that puts in a full day of helping set up course on Thursday and Friday can shoot a round on Friday when the vendors shoot.

Comment

Something else to consider, each year we need to replace a few targets anyone that would like to sponsor a new target would have a sign placed at that target with sponsor info. if interested contact Pat or me

Comment

SwampRabbit,

Is that Rob and Paul?

Is that you Todd? Mike shagging arrows was a real life saver! I barely had clearance to be there at all and if I'd overdone things I may not ever have gotten to leave the house again.

We enjoyed shooting with you guys. Lets do it again soon!

Rob

Comment

SwampRabbit,

Is that Rob and Paul?

Based on your description and where they are from, yeah, Rob = Bluegoose, and Paul = Fuzzy Dog. I suppose I could be wrong, but the odds I think are in my favor.

Edit: I see Rob just confirmed while I stepped away while typing up my post

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegoose View Post
                        Is that you Todd? Mike shagging arrows was a real life saver! I barely had clearance to be there at all and if I'd overdone things I may not ever have gotten to leave the house again.

We enjoyed shooting with you guys. Lets do it again soon!

Rob
                        Yes sir, it is I. I was happy that Mike took on shagging our arrows also! My feet were killing me after the first day, as I sit on my rear at work every day. He does the same, but he is a fitness fanatic and a few years my junior.

Suffice it to say we had a great time at the shoot. Especially meeting you and Paul and all the other fine folks. Looking forward to meeting others next time also. What a great sport!

Comment

Hey, I just signed up- this is Mike and I wanted to say it was great shooting with you guys (Rob, Paul, Cody, Chuck, and Bud). I didn't mind pulling the arrows, I needed the exercise and it gave me a good look at where I was hitting the targets. Just wanted to say I really appreciated all the time and hard work that went into putting that event together, I was impressed, loved it, and will definitely be doing this again in the future.

Everyone there was friendly and made me feel comfortable with being a fairly novice archer. I grew up shooting a few old green fiberglass Ben Pearson bows and always liked it but lost the hobby for a long time. It's good to get back into archery again.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien View Post
                            Hey, I just signed up- this is Mike and I wanted to say it was great shooting with you guys (Rob, Paul, Cody, Chuck, and Bud). I didn't mind pulling the arrows, I needed the exercise and it gave me a good look at where I was hitting the targets. Just wanted to say I really appreciated all the time and hard work that went into putting that event together, I was impressed, loved it, and will definitely be doing this again in the future.

Everyone there was friendly and made me feel comfortable with being a fairly novice archer. I grew up shooting a few old green fiberglass Ben Pearson bows and always liked it but lost the hobby for a long time. It's good to get back into archery again.
                            A new nubbin' buck! Welcome to TBH, Mike. Read this forum frequently and you will gain much wisdom about archery. A great resource and great people.

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
                              Something else to consider, each year we need to replace a few targets anyone that would like to sponsor a new target would have a sign placed at that target with sponsor info. if interested contact Pat or me
                              as a life member, and a full supporter of T.B.O.T.
                              I'D LOVE TO DO THIS...

Comment

Thanks Jeffro will be in touch.

Comment

Working...
                                X