Nikkor Lense question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikkor Lense question

Ok so I just dropped a boat load of money on a new setup. And only after I placed the order and have paid for it, I realize that I may be unhappy with my lense selection. Guess thats what I get for not doing my homework.

I purchased a D40 combo with came with the 70-300mm G, from what I can tell I may have problems using manual focus on this lense, vs the ED. Anyone have any knowledge they can share about the true differences between the two?

The G lenses omit the aperture ring which makes them more compact, a bonus when shooting something as inherently big as a 70-300mm, but they are not compatible with the auto-focus on D40 and D60s. That means you're gonna be permanently stuck with manual focus.

Where did you buy it from? Can you exchange it? A reputable seller should not have given you that combo without specifically telling you it would only work as a manual setup.

Comment

reputable- not likely...

I knew better when I gave them my payment info, however, after shooting my sister's D70 w/ Tameron lense yesterday I'm not much worried about the AF on the lense, it took much better pics using manual on her's.

I may decide to sell the G lense and get an EF but I got a pretty good deal, (hopefully) it actually arrives... I bought from an ebay dealer who seemed a bit shady, I went with it knowing I could refute the charges on my credit card should things go bad.

Comment

All in all I saved about $300 or about 38% on my package, I couldn't pass up this deal. Oddly enough it was a $70 backpack that sold me on the deal Not to mention ,had I gone the other route, I would have put together the same package at about 4 different retailers, so hopefully I saved some hassel. Im still a little worried though, I just hope it shows up in the next 10 days or so. The only main problem I had other than the lense was the flash, I would have preferred a flash with a pivoting head... Fortunately I found one elsewhere for $23.00!

Comment

Working...
        X