Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on flooring options for my house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on flooring options for my house.

Currently in the process of building a new house and am looking to pick a durable flooring and wanting to hear pros and cons on Luxury Vinyl plank and tile that looks like wood.

I would just do real wood but I have two Great Danes that will scratch it pretty bad over time.

I’m also open to other flooring options.

Also would you feel like you wouldn’t buy a house or frown upon a house of it had vinyl plank flooring?

This is the look we are going for in the kitchen except we are using stainless appliances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a good quality plank, installed correctly will last many years.. its what I have in my house throughout and enjoy it..

if I were to ever redo the floor, I would do the ceramic tile that looks like wood.

Comment

Ceramic that looks like wood all the way. I did my cabin w it. It came out great.

Comment

Here are our tile floors we chose when we built. They are easier to keep clean than wood and do not scratch. Be sure they space the tile as close as possible when laying though. We really like them. We did not consider the vinyl plank, so no help there . I do believe it is much cheaper though.

Comment

The laminate WILL scratch.

We put it in the river house and it’s fine, but it’s not the same as tile.

If you’re trying to cut costs, the vinyl will be cheaper.

Comment

We put LVT in our house. It scratches very easy. Wish we would’ve gone with the tile planks.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              The laminate WILL scratch.

We put it in the river house and it’s fine, but it’s not the same as tile.

If you’re trying to cut costs, the vinyl will be cheaper.

It seems the same price to me. The stuff we are looking at is $4.50 per square foot or higher. The tile is more expensive to install but I’m not sure by how much.

Comment

My brother is a commercial contractor, he puts miles of LTV in Hotels with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  It seems the same price to me. The stuff we are looking at is $4.50 per square foot or higher. The tile is more expensive to install but I’m not sure by how much.

Installation on tile is considerably higher. Like about $6 to $8 per foot more expensive. If you go til go with porcelain and make sure it’s rectified if you want the small grout lines. As for LVT then there are lots of options to consider. I would say don’t cheap out on it. Lots of the cheaper LVT’s are inferior. When you go with LVT you also need to do your homework on what kind of core you want. And if you pick a good LVT it will not scratch easy.

Comment

I like the wood look tile in barndos and utility rooms, but be careful in normal suburban living spaces...sometimes it's weird when it looks like wood but feels like tile. Kinda like eating a whale steak

Comment

Our builder talked us into engineered wood floor. It’s Hickory and has some kind of scratch resistant coating with a lifetime warranty. I was very skeptical as when he build my son was still pretty little so messes were pretty common and we had 2 big dogs that I was sure would scratch it up. He brought us a sample and I took a key and tried to scratch it. Could barely make a mark at all. I was impressed and agreed to put it down. We have been in the house 4.5 years and the floor still looks brand new. It’s not cheap but we love it. We really like the distressed look.
                      The only other thing I would consider is ceramic tile.

Our flagship collection of authentic hand scarped wood floors that celebrates the beauty of master craftsmanship. 1/2

Comment

I have experience with wood look LVT, SPC, WPC and porcelain tiles. Wood look porcelain tile is great just make sure they use a medium bed mortar and not thinset. Also make sure the joint stagger is no more than a third from the end. Do not grout to the wall. Use a Color coordinated 100% silicone caulk. If you go with vinyl don't go cheap. Minimum 12 mil wear layer, 20 mil preferred. The more texture the better with pets. Look for registered/embossed plank that looks more realistic and hides scratches. SPC floating planks are the latest craze. Make sure the subfloor is flat to 3/16" over 10'. PM me with phone number if you want to discuss further.

Comment

I’ve got wood look tile all throughout my house and love it!!

Comment

I would add a vote for the wood look tile. I have a good friend that is a flooring contractor and we went through them all but we really wanted the tile and went that way. We had the wood laminate that "will never scratch", yada, yada, yada. It scratches, they will say it's excessive wear and not do anything about it. The first batch we used held up great but we babied it and once the dogs got on it, it didn't last. We had spots with big dents and gouges from furniture and they were all too deep to sand/refinish. That was why we went with the laminate with a thicker top veneer, to be able to sand it before selling but that was not the case, all damage was too deep.

After Harvey, we went with wood look tile and it's awesome, we love it. Regarding installation, I paid $2.25 per sq ft plus the price of the tile which was $3.22 per sq ft and supplies for installation.

Clean up is easy, get a Bissell wet vac that does both and it's super easy to clean up.

Comment

My current house has tile in all areas besides the bedrooms. It’s uncomfortable to walk on long term without shoes. Drop anything and it’s shattered. Not just broken, but shattered into 10000 pieces across the entire room and down the hallways.

House I am building now is wood or carpet everywhere but the bathrooms, which are tile.

My BIL has LVT and it’s pretty nice but I just like traditional wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X