Living in Fredericksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in Fredericksburg

I have a potential opportunity to move to Fredericksburg. Anyone live there? If so, pros and cons? We have three young kids so the school system is of interest to us as well. Would love to hear any feedback you have.

The weekends are CROWDED!

Comment

It would have been awesome to live there 20+ years ago, now not so much. Wall to wall city people every weekend. We went last month and I have no desire to return.

Comment

If you don't need to be downtown, I think it's still a great place to live. I have land there and have several good friends and I don't think they'd move for any amount of money. I believe the schools are pretty good and it's a very well run town.

But yes, tons of tourists every weekend and only going to get worse in that regard.

Comment

TONS of people every weekend. Lots of wine drunk women. EXPENSIVE is putting it mildly for a house or land. Gorgeous area though. We lived in Kerrville and loved it and much "cheaper" than Fredericksburg

Comment

I have a lease down the road in Doss. We love being so close to Fredericksburg being able to hang out in town some when we are there. Living there I am sure is a much different story. Talked to a guy last weekend that lived there saying they are supposed to be building some big resort at the end of Main Street soon too. Super cool town though that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Talked to a guy last weekend that lived there saying they are supposed to be building some big resort at the end of Main Street soon too.
              Yea that's just what the aquifer needs.

Comment

I live in Fredericksburg have my whole life. Pm for any questions and my mother had been with the school system as an administrator for almost 15 years

Don’t worry about Main Street just go around it
                Look forward to hearing from ya

Comment

I live in Kerrville but work takes me to Fredericksburg quite often. I don’t think you can go wrong there. Housing costs are high but everything else cost of living wise should be on par.

You can easily avoid the Main Street tourism hustle and bustle if you like but can take it in when you want it. Believe the school system is pretty good as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                    I live in Fredericksburg have my whole life. Pm for any questions and my mother had been with the school system as an administrator for almost 15 years

Don’t worry about Main Street just go around it
                    Look forward to hearing from ya
                    I’m from Fredericksburg too! I bet me and Quanah can answer any questions you have. I’m curious about your opportunity. I’d probably still be there if I could find work like I can in Austin.

Comment

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
                      Talked to a guy last weekend that lived there saying they are supposed to be building some big resort at the end of Main Street soon too.
                      A temporary restraining order between the City of Fredericksburg and the “E. 290 Owners’ Coalition,” an unincorporated nonprofit association, has been extended by the 216th District Court. The group is opposing the city’s efforts to annex 213.64 acres of land along U.S. 290 East. The original

I am not sure if this is related but they are annexing a bunch of land into the city limits.

We have a small family place out by Doss too, and have been going out there all of my life. There has been a huge influx of Betos stickers, road bicycles on 87N, skinny jeans/bedazzled jeans, and the wineries made to look like castles on 290 make we want to puke. Its a growing town, lots of history but cost of living is high. I have been told the HEB and Walmart have to bus employees in.

Comment

It's not like all the tourists mentioned above are ne'erdowells with bad intentions. Mostly just young families from the suburbs. I happen to fall into that category now, and I hunt a few miles out of town. Wife loves it there, so it's easier to make hunting trips work.

Comment

My wife is from there, born and raised. I feel like I know the town very well as my MIL still lives there and FIL, before he passed, lived there. We are there at least twice per month and still have best friends and other family that lives there. Most of our dealings are out of town in Willow City, Doss, or on our land out 963 toward Enchanted Rock, but town does have its positive qualities too. Breweries, shopping for the ladies, wine tours, Enchanted Rock, Marketplatz, Vereins Kirche museum, Friedhelm's restaurant, and a whole lot of other things to do. As others have said, main street is a main PIA on weekends. Every weekend, there is something going on. That being said, this is the time where a lot of festivals are happening at Marketplatz and it is a very fun time. Oktoberfest is awesome. We always find a place to park the night before, leave a car on main street over night if we are going to be hanging out in town, and then just walk to main street, which is pretty accessible from most places in town.

We were going to move back there, but after the sudden passing of my FIL, my wife has no desire to move back. She is heartbroken and every time we go, it is hard on her. I only say that because the land to purchase is very comparable to most other places. Land is not getting any cheaper, anywhere. We were going to buy a piece of property out toward Doss and build, but since his passing, we inherited 17 acres off 963, so no need to buy anymore.

The schools are pretty good. They have their problems, just like any school, but overall it is a great place to live and raise a family. They also have at least one private school at the Catholic church, so that is always an option as well. There is also community sports programs that help with the athletic development. Various churches in and around town that are good for the soul.

If you have any specific questions send me a pm and I will answer them.

Comment

Girlfriend would like to move there in four years as her parents have a place in Doss. Love it there, just haven't figure out how to afford land there and jobs paying what we make here.

Comment

I have a buddy that has a lease in Crab apple and man would that be a awesome area to live in.

Comment

Working...
                              X