Cotton Seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton Seed

Anyone near Rocksprings use cotton seed? Is there a local source? Thinking of adding it to the lease.

You will be glad you did.

Comment

Anyone ever hear that feeding cotton seed after July makes deer sterile? I have a buddy that swears by that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pen raised deer have that issue, free range no.

Comment

Originally posted by kribbz View Post
          Anyone ever hear that feeding cotton seed after July makes deer sterile? I have a buddy that swears by that...

Only if they get so fat that they can't raise up on their hind legs.

Comment

Had that discussion this weekend and got told the same. Pen raised deer that eat a steady diet of cotton seed will have an issue, but free range deer that get plenty other food to eat will not have an issue.

That being said, I would like to try feeding it next year as well. Folks seem to have good results with cotton seed.

Comment

I've been told it's best to stop feeding them after they lose their velvet. It takes a lot of cottonseed to actually make them sterile. From what I have read, "if" it makes a deer sterile, it's temporary, and they are back to normal in a couple weeks of being off the cottonseed. Best advice is too stop a few weeks before the rut and restart towards the end of the season.

Comment

I'm not a fan of feeding cottonseed. It's great for making your deer fat. But lacks the trace minerals for maximum antler growth. If I went back to it I'd feed it January-March and then straight protein for the rest of the antler growing season.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  I'm not a fan of feeding cottonseed. It's great for making your deer fat. But lacks the trace minerals for maximum antler growth. If I went back to it I'd feed it January-March and then straight protein for the rest of the antler growing season.
                  For most of Texas, trace minerals are not a problem in wild deer diets. What matters most here is protein.

Comment

Anyone near Rocksprings use cotton seed? Is there a local source? Thinking of adding it to the lease.
                    San Angelo or Batesville are the closest that I know of.

Comment

Speer Ag in Uvalde has it...Bag or bulk

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

I think you should take another look at cottonseed. Deer get plenty of trace minerals without any supplement feeding. Here is the nutritional breakdown of cottonseed.

Plenty of protein and fiber here
                        Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-01-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

When you say pen? How big of a pin are you talking?

We were talking about doing this on a small High Fence place just last week.
                          We currently have about 120 deer on 300 high fence acres. Plenty of water and browse with protein feeders, food plots, corn feeders.

Is this a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I think you should take another look at cottonseed. Deer get plenty of trace minerals without any supplement feeding. Here is the nutritional breakdown of cottonseed.

Plenty of protein and fiber here
                            Calcium and phosphorus are the two most important minerals for antler growth from what I have read. Most 17 to 20% protein's have a higher % of this than cottonseed.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckBass79 View Post
                              Calcium and phosphorus are the two most important minerals for antler growth from what I have read. Most 17 to 20% protein's have a higher % of this than cottonseed.
                              I was thinking of feeding cottonseed and protein pellets next year, but if that's all they are lacking, mineral blocks and cottonseed may be a cheaper option.

Comment

Working...
                              X