Advise requested- new camera.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise requested- new camera.

Me little camera "died" on our hunt this past weekend and seeing Kho's pictures reminded me how much I really missed it.
    I have seen threads on mid range simple cameras that take good pictures and even have one in a subscription, with great suggestions from people like Shane and Hillary, however looking for those suggested, it seems several are already expired, shall we say.
    Last night I pulled 2 from the wolf cameras website and looked at these lines.
    The ones looking at are:
    **Kodak Easyshare Max- 12 mp, 30X optical zoom, image stablization, and numberous control settings, and
    **Nikon Coolpix L120- 14.1 mp, 21X optical zoom, and numberous control settings

I like the Nikon, for 1, because it is close to my other camera and might be easier to learn to use, however it never says anything about Image stablization, it does say "Vibration Reduction a combination of image Sensor shift and electronic VR for still pictures".
    Is this their way of saying Image Stabilation?

I was looking for one for about 350 dollars (only). Anddidnt see anything much with a price up to that range.
    Any assistance and advise would be great.
    Jp.

At DPreview.com you can compare features side by side.

link

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
      At DPreview.com you can compare features side by side.

link

good luck
      Thanks for the link Leggy.
      So they seem pretty close but.
      Does the 2.1 mp differance going to make alot of difference?
      And what kind of difference is the Optical Image Stabilization and the Vibration Reduction, and is one actually better than the other?
      Last edited by Jp.; 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

The megapixels aren't going to make that big of a difference. Once you are over the 8 mega pixel mark you are really up to speed. The absurd megapixels that push 20+ are for when you start print giant images.

I don't know a whole lot about vibration reduction vs. image stabilization but I would assume they are close to the same.

Ill try to remember to look around for you once I get back on a computer to see if any stick out in my mind but it looks like the 2 your found are what you are looking for.
        Good luck!

Comment

Thanks alot Hillary, I was really hoping you would see this and give some of your advise.
          All help is appreciated,

Comment

Check out Digitaldepotonline.com they have some pretty ggod prices and thats where I got my Canon T2I.

Comment

VR is Nikon's version of image stabilizaztion. Stands for Vibration Reduction.

Dave

Comment

I shoot Nikon on my DSLR equipment but for the point and shoot's, I love my Canon S95. It has image stabilization but the reason I like it so much is because it can shoot in RAW format, which allows me to do a lot of post processing if I want. It is very small and can fit easily in your shirt pocket.
                They came out with the S100 not too long ago and I believe you are looking at about $350 dollars for the camera. I can highly recommend it as a great point and shoot camera.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcat View Post
                  Check out Digitaldepotonline.com they have some pretty ggod prices and thats where I got my Canon T2I.
                  How was your purchase experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Jp. View Post
                    Thanks for the link Leggy.
                    So they seem pretty close but.
                    Does the 2.1 mp differance going to make alot of difference?
                    And what kind of difference is the Optical Image Stabilization and the Vibration Reduction, and is one actually better than the other?
                    Dont worry about megapixels. I actually prefer a lower megapixel cameras to keep file sizes smaller. You wont be able to see any difference.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys and help.
                      Great group here.

Comment

Working...
                      X