X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way I could do that.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
      I’ve made that drive after work a lot, i don’t mind the time behind the wheel at all, and the way I go to Brenham during traffic time, I never see Houston or the beltway or hwy 6 either. But I understand what your saying about the time away from family. All stuff me and the wife will have to discuss more. She’s ready to pack up and move out there like yesterday haha. I’m the one who’s really having to think into it.
      If you found some back roads, Texas is full of them, then good on ya. Going through Houston would be a deal killer for me. Most I ever drove was 1 hour 1 way. I can understand your wife wanting to get outta SF/Houston in general. As long as she understands, this change will effect her the most. On days you work, everything is on her.

Comment

No way I could work a 12 hr shift and then add 4 hrs worth of drive time. That would only leave you with 8 hrs of time to eat sleep and see family. Sounds like a car wreck waiting to happen running on sleep deprivation and then zoning out behind the wheel for 2 hrs at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Foggy mornings will be bad !

Comment

I couldn’t do it. I was miserable in Houston with a 1 hour commute each way. And that was before I had kids. I can’t imagine doing it now. My commute now consists of 7 mins. I don’t even have to go thru a stoplight. We make good money now, living a fairly simple life. And I don’t know how much money someone would have to pay me to move back to Houston, but’s it no doubt probably more than I am worth. Living in a small town, and working in a small town, is worth it to me

Comment

Man I couldn’t do it, especially working 12s. I don’t know how yours is but our DuPont schedule ended up being basically 13s, sometimes 16s and I never saw a full set off.
              Also could be dangerous coming off a long shift then heading out for 2 hours.

Comment

I work for FedEx Freight out of DFW. I drive fifty minutes to work then 606 miles a day at work then drive 50 minutes back to the house for a total of 700 miles a day..

Comment

Few guy I know that do it also have a rv . They keep it set up close . Just for the *** kicker days . And some stay a few days or nights when working their sets of 4’s

Comment

I am forced to work in our shop at times and it a 100 miles one way I drive back and forth if I know its only for a couple day but after that I have to stay at my dads after working 10-12 hours driving in traffic is not worth it to get home at 9 and have to be up at 3 am to make it on time all u get to do is play with kids for a bit and go to bed. I work offshore usually so being away is part of my families life but have u looked in to getting a little camper to stay in while u work and maybe come home like once a week or something and other nights stay in camper, that would be less stress and wear and tear on u and driving is dangerous.
                    If I where u id move to breham and get a camper problem solved hope it all works out for u

Comment

I’m about to be driving 1.5 hours one way when I move... but I’ll only be doing it every third day so not as big of a deal.

Comment

I would suggest adding up the hours per year you’ll spend commuting and then decide if it’s worth it. If you’re commuting 4 hrs per day, 14 times a month, for 12 months, that comes out to 28 days you’ll spend each year commuting. So yes, you’re nuts.
                        Last edited by sir shovelhands; 03-17-2018, 04:05 AM.

Comment

That sounds terrible

Comment

My job is 7 on and 7 off 4:30 to 5:30. It was 75 miles one way. When I was on shift I only had time to work and sleep. My kids were grown so it wasn't that bad because I didn't have to miss any of their activities.

Comment

My son drives from Brenham to Houston every day although he only goes just the other side of 1960. He usually goes in early and then either leaves early or stays later until the traffic clears up a bit. His hours are flexible and with shift work, that may not work.

Comment

I drive from New Ulm to Katy every day and its well worth it. I used to drive from Somerville and then Brenham and that was still worth it. I dont know the Du Pont schedule but im assuming 7 on 7 off? And I assume you would run 36 most of the way which is a good road and ive spent a lot of time on it myself. All that said, for me it would likely be worth it. I lived in Houston for 7 years and it was a race to get out of town every Friday and back to Brenham. Now I get out every day and love it. I wouldnt trade the drive for Houston any day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X